Hiding HD channels on the guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ProWire

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Tennessee
I work in a DMA that gets locals on 103, so everybody has a Ka/Ku and HD receivers. When a customer who doesn't subscribe to HD selects a channel, the box wants to default to the HD version of the channel resulting in service calls when the customer sees a 721 code. I hate explaining this to every customer and instructing them to press channel up to find their channel. Not only do some people not understand, but it makes DirecTV service (and the person who sells it.... being me) look bad. Is there a fix for this? I know it's a rare market.

By the way, I'm aware of the "show SD duplicates" option , but it doesn't hide the HD version and direct channel selection via the keypad still defaults to HD.

unless there's a way to select all channels, then de-select only HD channels (with one click), that would be a royal pain in the ass.

Last edited:
I work in a DMA that gets locals on 103, so everybody has a Ka/Ku and HD receivers. When a customer who doesn't subscribe to HD selects a channel, the box wants to default to the HD version of the channel resulting in service calls when the customer sees a 721 code. I hate explaining this to every customer and instructing them to press channel up to find their channel. Not only do some people not understand, but it makes DirecTV service (and the person who sells it.... being me) look bad. Is there a fix for this? I know it's a rare market.

By the way, I'm aware of the "show SD duplicates" option , but it doesn't hide the HD version and direct channel selection via the keypad still defaults to HD.
Tell them to sub to the HD channels. :p

Just had a thought, if HD is of no interest at all, would it help to remove the B Band Converters? Any thoughts on that, anyone?

Another suggestion to those who have the HD sets with HD capability but cannot afford additional HD access fee, keep your account up to date 12 months and maintain that "Valued Customer" status and you can usually persuade DirecTv to give you free HD access up to 12 months at a time. Even if it means upgrading to a higher priced programming package, the HD access fee can be credited back to your account. I thought that if an annual payment was made that it included standard discounted rates but I called DirecTv and they stated that no standard discounts apply but to those who ask, there are offers available and vary from time to time. CSR claims it has more to do with what's available than which CSR you talk to. CSR's do tend to treat courteous and open minded customers kindly and she indicated that individual circumstances do make a difference. They prefer customers to ask what can be done to reduce their bill rather than a caller call to insist on a particular discount or amount.

free HD service does no good without HD tv's, and removing the bbands would kill the 103 which carries the locals, which is the whole reason everyone gets an HD box.

This is a common problem, friends of mine have the same problem.
Chances are it will be another 10 years before they go HD, but D* replaced thier old boxes with HD boxes.

It would be nice if D* added a tab to the menu's to hide HD channels, for those that do not have HD sets, it would be an easy thing to do I would think.
This way the box would be a fully functioning HD AND SD box all in one.

Of course some day they will all be HD, but were a LONG way from that day.

I agree, it would be a simple software update, but 95% of the time HD boxes are used only for HD programming and I doubt they'll change it for the other 5%.

I agree, it would be a simple software update, but 95% of the time HD boxes are used only for HD programming and I doubt they'll change it for the other 5%.

But, it is D* that is giving those HD boxes out to people that do not have HD yet.
Remember, the HD users are still very much in the minority when looking at the BIG picture...

This is a well known problem, when the HD boxes were designed the designers did not expect them to be used for SD only so they defaulted to the HD channel when you key in a channel number. When DirecTV started to use transponders on the DirecTV10/11 satellites at 99/103 for SD locals, they did not have an SD receiver that would receive these satellites so gave people in those DMAs getting their SD locals from 99/103 HD receivers even where they only had an SD subscription. As has been posted, the solution to this would be to introduce an "SD only" capability on the boxes but so far DirecTV has not done this. It does only affect a relatively small number of people, but even so I am surprised this software change has not been made.

This is a well known problem, when the HD boxes were designed the designers did not expect them to be used for SD only so they defaulted to the HD channel when you key in a channel number. When DirecTV started to use transponders on the DirecTV10/11 satellites at 99/103 for SD locals, they did not have an SD receiver that would receive these satellites so gave people in those DMAs getting their SD locals from 99/103 HD receivers even where they only had an SD subscription. As has been posted, the solution to this would be to introduce an "SD only" capability on the boxes but so far DirecTV has not done this. It does only affect a relatively small number of people, but even so I am surprised this software change has not been made.

Any word as to when everything will be off the 72 * sat and officially moved to the 99 and 103 ?
Our locals here are on the 72 in SD and 99 or 103 (don't remember which) for the HD. I was told awhile back that the SD had been moved to the new sats too now, but have no way to verify it .... Toledo, Ohio zip 43623.

Jimbo

It'll probably be awhile. I don't think they would shut down 72.5 until every subscriber that currently relies on it has been upgraded. Imagine the complaints. There are still thousands in my area with the "mickey mouse" setup (2 18's)

It'll probably be awhile. I don't think they would shut down 72.5 until every subscriber that currently relies on it has been upgraded. Imagine the complaints. There are still thousands in my area with the "mickey mouse" setup (2 18's)
Everything is apparently now duplicated on 99/103 so no-one needs a 72.5 dish any more. But it's going to be a while before service on 72.5 is terminated - as you say everyone needs to be upgraded, new dishes and new receivers. Some DMAs will go through final transition this year, others in 2010 and I believe the last ones will be as late as 2011. Use of 72.5 by DirecTV was recently extended to Sept 2011 in an agreement with Telesat Canada who own the satellite.

Everything is apparently now duplicated on 99/103 so no-one needs a 72.5 dish any more. But it's going to be a while before service on 72.5 is terminated - as you say everyone needs to be upgraded, new dishes and new receivers. Some DMAs will go through final transition this year, others in 2010 and I believe the last ones will be as late as 2011. Use of 72.5 by DirecTV was recently extended to Sept 2011 in an agreement with Telesat Canada who own the satellite.

So the SD channels that were coming (are) from the 72 are currently active on the 99/103 as well as the HD version ... if this IS the case, I can remove the 2nd dish pointing at the 72 at a few of my friends homes without them losing thier local channels, correct ?

Jimbo

That is correct.

The problem Direct is having in some markets (I'm looking at you, Youngstown market...grrr!) is that some of the local channels on the Ka birds tend to be a tad flaky and jittery as compared to their SD counterparts 72. A lot of my co-workers are just simply leaving the wing dish up and feed it into a 6X8MS. Somehow hoping/praying that Direct can correct the problem before they shut that bird down.

So the SD channels that were coming (are) from the 72 are currently active on the 99/103 as well as the HD version ... if this IS the case, I can remove the 2nd dish pointing at the 72 at a few of my friends homes without them losing thier local channels, correct ?

Jimbo

Correct, as long as they have all HD receivers. Standard receivers can't see the 99/103 birds, so without a 72.5 dish, they won't get locals.

Jimbo
Well, yes and no. I'll try to cover all the issues - a couple have already been mentioned.
First, ALL their equipment has to be HD (R2x receivers and HR2x DVRs) - none of the SD receivers or DVRs will receive any of the signals from 99/103 (except the R22 DVR, but that's really an HR21 set up just for SD). Unless somone has been converted early, in which case the installer should have disconnected 72.5 anyway, this means the only people who can remove 72.5 are people with only HD receivers who kept 72.5 for channels which were not in HD yet. Second, not that it matters except for the R22, but the channels that are available in HD are only transmitted once, there is actually no SD channel as such. The receivers, if someone only has an SD service, just downconvert to 480i. That's often an issue for people with an R22 because it has no "stretch" or "zoom" capability. And third, there are some DMAs where the spotbeam from 99/103 does not cover the whole DMA. 72.5 is CONUS, and so covers the whole DMA. Moving away from 72.5 will for some people lose their locals completely - I know this applies in far west Nebraska for example.
You can easily check on this by doing a sat setup on the receivers specifying just the main dish and not the 72.5 dish. You may also need to refresh the authorizations either via a CSR or using the DirecTV web site.
If someone does remove 72.5 then all the DVR series links for local channels will need to be reset,.

The "Hide HD Channels" Display option is now being tested in CE Forum. Way to go DirecTv for listening!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts