High bandwidth for the Tyson Fight on 711

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
FYI. I wrote Wilt an e-mail and this is what I said:

Wilt,

I was wondering if it might be possible to broadcast the Tyson fight tomorrow night (on channel 711) at 18 MBPS (or more)? This event is an opportunity for Voom to excel at picture quality since many non-HD consumers will be watching this event on Voom at their friends houses. In fact, I'm having a party and none of the expected attendance have HD yet.

How difficult would it be to "borrow" 1 MBPS from a few of the HDCinema10 channels? This would be a great benfit for Voom since you are giving the fight away for free and these type of events usually have fast movement and extreme lighting that requires high bandwidth to pull off correctly in HD.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how I felt about this.

Thanks,
Chet

This is what Wilt wrote back:
I'll look into it, thanks.

So here's hoping! :cool:

ChetK, what a great post and a great idea. It also lays a nice groundwork for the future. lol. I know WTF your doing!

It they shut off 999 Channel and Moov for a while they could do it... I know that while I'm watching the fight I will probably have the overwhelming urge to stare at fish, or lines but I think I can control my urges.

ChetK said:
FYI. I wrote Wilt an e-mail and this is what I said:

This is what Wilt wrote back:

So here's hoping! :cool:

Hey ChetK, you are at it again (like you said to me) :D [Excellent Idea!]

barth2k said:
ChetK for prez!!!

I want to see what the best HD Voom can give us!

It won't matter if the bandwidth is 500 MBPS Showtime is producing this therefore the PG won't list it as HD??? :what

I Have To Admit it, Chetk is on to Something.
They Could Take A Couple of the Cinema 10's & Use Them for the old movies that are in Black & White & Take A Meg. or Three From Them (They Don't Need The Bandwidth For A Good Picture) and Use The Bandwidth elsewhere.

I Think Saint Chetk is a strong possibility

Would it be nice to see the fight at 18mps... you bet.

Reality; not all Voomers will want to view the fight (I do).

But let's keep ALL Voomers in mind.

Should other channels be sacrificed to increase the bout to 18mps? No.

My hope is when we migrate to mpeg4 we’ll see increased image quality due to significantly lower bandwidth requirements. Until then...

Well I am not interested in the fight. But I do want to thank Voom for making it free. I also will tune in to see how good HD on Voom should be. I've seen the wow factor back in March when I was installed. I haven't seen it for months, but I'm holding on to the hopes that Voom will once again give us the wow factor.

Great idea and it should be done without a problem. Alot of people will be watching this tonight....maybe future customers. Its a great showcase for VOOM so the bandwidth should be given for this event. I hope they could pull it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)