High speed internet

danwolf101

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Is dish any time in the upcoming future going to incorporate high speed Internet with there satellite delivery.I have the super dish 500 which i luv.DSL is not available in my area I complain to bell south all the time about this but they could give a $hit less about there customers anyway.And com cast is available but I am a cheap a$$ and I will not pay $42 or $ 50 plus a month to access the Internet.PLEASE DISH GIVE US WORKING CLASS PEOPLE A GOOD PRICE FOR INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

do you honestly think that you would be able to get a satellite solution for less than $40-$50? You do live in a dream world.

HAH! It will probably be $50 a month at minimum with a big up front fee. I would drop my cable/satellite if price was an issue. High-speed internet has become a way of life for me.

kenny911 said:
HAH! It will probably be $50 a month at minimum with a big up front fee. I would drop my cable/satellite if price was an issue. High-speed internet has become a way of life for me.

Same here...

No news from dish about highspeed internet through the sats, if you want cheap then go to netzero turbo or people pc accelerator because you wont find a cheap solution through any of the current high speed dish internet providers.

They would have to undercut Wildblue's fees and monthly cost (KA band), which is $49.95 for 512 bps download and 125 K upload and $300 equipment fee (IF you go through your local NRTC (Rural Coop) which does not include the $180 instlall fee. If you don't have a local NRTC who will do the install, I think there is a special discount on the install fee, so it is not the full $179.

My reply to you is DSL is $25 or so a month with bellsouth.I pay $21.95 for dialup through earthlink.For a few dollars more I could get DSL but like I said it is not available.Only in this country will somone be so stupid to pay that kind of price for high speed access.In other countries like japan high speed internet is half what the IP,s charge and plus you get more bandwith.Japan is around 10 plus megabits of bandwith and we are 6 or 7.Do the math.

Well.....what the market will bear. I would GLADLY pay $50+ per month for high-speed internet access. DSL is not close enough, and the genius-savants that run our county locked in a long-term cable contract where the cable co. does not have to wire the entire county (so the more populated areas of the county have cable, but not the more rural areas). I'd gladly keep my dish network for TV & pay whatever blood-money was necessary to get cable broadband if I could.

Couple of co-workers who went the DirectWay route (even at the $60/month - I thinK) were very unsatisfied with the performance. Drop outs - got progressively slower (more folks on-line, maybe?). Damn I hate dial-up!

You can't compare Japan to the US because Japan is the size of California and has a population of 130 mil. The density of Japan is 337 people per square kilometer while its only 30 in the US. Its much more profitable to wire Japan than say a state like Wyoming where their are more cows than people.

Keep in mind, nearly all the Dish equipment and LUNs are downlink only devices at this point. So, even there will be any service available now, it would be just like DirectPC type. Which means that you will need using your regular phone line for upload path. With so many web contents these days are cookie enabled, your average speed will be far less than whatever it might be advertised..... I will still focus on DSL/Cable modem solutions. Besides, I don't like the way to put all the eggs in one basket solution. I personally perfer to have the best provider for specific services. For example, I use SBC for my phone; Adelphia for cable modem; Verizon for wireless; Dish for TV (that may not qualify as best service provider..... but again, who does in this industry :)

I had dial up forever (it seemed like) at 28k. Sprint kept saying they were bringing DSL so I waited and waited and waited some more. Finally I went with Direcway. I had to pay about $600 up front and $69 per mo. I got about 512 down but only 56k up. I did that for a year and two weeks (one year commitment) and checked again with Sprint. They had just started offering DSL and hadn't started to advertise it in my area. Now I get 2.8-2.9 meg down and 490k up for $50 a month. I love it. When I move to NM I'll probably have to set up the Direcway again. They are just starting to survey for interest in the area of my property (Pie Town). Oh well

Another interesting Internet delivery system on the horizon is done through the power company. It somehow comes across the power lines and is pulled off your electrical service with some kind of modem. It's supposed to rival cable for speed. I guess it takes a lot of hardware investment by the local power co to get going. It's a neat idea though

Population aside.The IP,s could sell varying leveling of bandwith.Com cast only sells one level of Internet speed.And I live in a very populated area and DSL is not available in my area.And I live less then 3 miles from the switch.Believe me if DSL was in my area I would switch tomorrow.That is why I left com cast cable they were charging $55.00 a month for there basic TV lineup.About 60 channels total.Dish for about the same from I get 120 channel plus show time with there 10 channel movie line up.If com cast would split up there bandwith for people who don't want to get screwed by these high Internet prices.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

With all of the other technological advancements that we have made (even within the last 10 years) I would think that we can get high speed internet to anybody that is reliable and affordable. I know I know we have the two-way satellite internet, but it is not all that fast from what people say and there are limits on downloads and there are ping issues, etc. I would think that we would have wireless / wi-fi / wi-max / other form of broadband available just about anywhere even in the country by now. Hopefully this is not that far off.

danwolf101 said:
Population aside.The IP,s could sell varying leveling of bandwith.Com cast only sells one level of Internet speed.And I live in a very populated area and DSL is not available in my area.And I live less then 3 miles from the switch.Believe me if DSL was in my area I would switch tomorrow.That is why I left com cast cable they were charging $55.00 a month for there basic TV lineup.About 60 channels total.Dish for about the same from I get 120 channel plus show time with there 10 channel movie line up.If com cast would split up there bandwith for people who don't want to get screwed by these high Internet prices.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

The price has been at around $42 a month since I first got it in January of 1999. Its not expensive at all considering that dialup is $15-20 a month at 1/100 the speed and it ties up your phone line. You can do so much with high speed that would warrant the extra $25 a month.

You might want to check with SBC/ATT they just bought out or in process of buying out Bellsouth. They offer DSL for 12.99 right now. Good luck

The ATT/BLS merger is far from done. It will probably take another year for it to close.

Greg Mueller said:
Another interesting Internet delivery system on the horizon is done through the power company. It somehow comes across the power lines and is pulled off your electrical service with some kind of modem. It's supposed to rival cable for speed. I guess it takes a lot of hardware investment by the local power co to get going. It's a neat idea though

Great....another technology that the backwards county where I live won't be able to support.:mad:

We get our electrical service via a rural coop that can barely keep the lights on and has a great deal of trouble getting service back on after an outage. Can't imagine that they will jump on this technology.

I realize I chose to live in a semi-rural area, but I'm an hour from Washington DC and an hour from Richmond VA - not exactly in the real boonies! Meanwhile, my mom & sister live in the mountains of West Virginia in real rural country - and they have cable broadband and DSL to choose from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts