Highly inappropriate material on a kids channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nope not a linear thinker, but I believe that if everyone worked as hard as I do then they would understand algebra like I do. Too many people sit in class and eat and talk, don't do their home work, dont study for tests, flunk quizzes, etc. It is horrible to me, but if they work as hard as I do then they should understand everything like I do...that is one problem with the world many people don't care about what they learn. I am no genius, but I do work hard, and a linear thinker would be very conservative in my opinion IMO. I consider myself liberal, but I must say that I do listen to the issues before I make my choices, but my choices tend to be on the liberal side.

My AP Biology book states that ones genes can help one be ahead of the curve, but it also states that ones environment is the main reason for learning. Did I become a horrible person and horrible student because I watched TV? Nope, on the contrary I am a paradigm for many people and a great student. I doubt anything will make me change my mind at this point in my life, but as I get older I may develop this wisdom.

Bringing this topic back to track (ratings and appropriate things at appropriate times...)

I complained to Dish and Cartoon Network some time back about why they didn't add ratings (ya know the Vchip thingamy) to the signal for stuff like "Adult Swim"

Clearly it's targeted at Adults, yet no rating lock on the receiver (as i have) has any effect. You'd think that would be easy to accomplish.

I was stunned by the lack of response (not even a "thank you for your comment"..)

Don't expect anything soon. I think I found out that Cartoons are exempt from ratings... go figure that one.

hpman247 said:
Nope not a linear thinker, but I believe that if everyone worked as hard as I do then they would understand algebra like I do.

Please elaborate as to why you think that?

hpman247 said:
I am no genius, but I do work hard, and a linear thinker would be very conservative in my opinion IMO. I consider myself liberal, but I must say that I do listen to the issues before I make my choices, but my choices tend to be on the liberal side.

Being a linear thinker has nothing at all to do with the conclusions that a person arrives at. It is referring to the methodology with how a conclusion is arrived at. You appear to be linear thinking with a logical methodology with regard to arriving at conclusions, and you have stated you arrive at what you consider to be mostly liberal conclusions.

hpman247 said:
Did I become a horrible person and horrible student because I watched TV? Nope, on the contrary I am a paradigm for many people and a great student.

That statement doesn't support your conclusion.

I asked you a few questions to get your viewpoint, but you didn't answer them. I would appreciate it if you would give a straight answer with supporting thoughts. If you don't want to answer them, please explain why.

sirlurkalot said:
I complained to Dish and Cartoon Network some time back about why they didn't add ratings (ya know the Vchip thingamy) to the signal for stuff like "Adult Swim"

I was stunned by the lack of response (not even a "thank you for your comment"..)

Don't expect anything soon. I think I found out that Cartoons are exempt from ratings... go figure that one.

Really? Are you serious? Cartoons are exempt from ratings? Japanese Anime, South Park, and the Smurfs are all considered equal in the eyes of the FCC?

sirlurkalot said:
That would be interesting, considering most of that stuff when sold on video has either a 14, 16 or 18 age rating.

jsanders said:
Really? Are you serious? Cartoons are exempt from ratings? Japanese Anime, South Park, and the Smurfs are all considered equal in the eyes of the FCC?

I don't think the FCC has any control over the ratings (the networks rate their own programming - sporadically!) I think the FCC mandates a rating system, but has no teeth to "define" what a particular thematic rating content should be... again it's down to the networks.

jsanders said:

I think that the FCC has no control over what a non-OTA televsion channel broadcasts. In that case it is up to the broadcaster, not the FCC. At least I think so...

jsanders said:
Maybe we need to go back a bit further.

What do you think? If you have a newborn, what do you feed it?
a) Breast Milk.
b) A large steak
c) A shot of whisky
d) all of the above.

What do you choose, and more importantly, *why* did you choose it?

A, of course. Anyone in their right frame of mind would not give a child a shot of whisky or a steak.

What do you think? Can you teach the special theory of relativity to someone that hasn't developed communication skills yet?
No you cannot teach Einstein when the person cannot talk, let alone until they are at an age where things as abstract as that can protrude into the persons mind
What do you think? A harp seal can give birth to a 30 pound pup in a matter of a couple of minutes. Immediately after birth, it turns around, and goes nose to nose with its newborn to imprint smells and a visual. The mother will nurse the baby harp seal for two weeks, and then it is on its own. A human, on the other hand, takes (on average) twenty years to raise. Why is that?
Human's are more complex individuals than a harp seal. Not very up on the animal scene, I would assume that a seal is a mammal, but they do not share the same emotional/mental capabilities as we do.
[/quote]
Why do you think the parents of those children mentioned earlier didn't tell their kids that "Chucky" was fake? Do you think that when they turned off the lights the first night after showing the movie that they just let their child scream the whole night with fears that "Chucky" was going to get them? Do you think it is possible that those children, unlike yourself, didn't understand their parents when they were told that "Chucky" was fake? What do you think?
[/quote]
I would think that if they did not tell their child that "Chucky" was fake because they probably did not care or did not know that the child was watching it. I suppose that the children did not beleive what the parents told them if they told them anything. As for the "What do [I} think" question, I think the child was normal to react the way he or she did. Just as any child would, just as I did. I was scared of "Chucky" but I KNEW it was fake, but like I said earlier, it lingers, and I still can't watch much horror b/c it lingers in the back of my mind, even though I KNOW it is fake.

Do you think the world would be a better place if everyone learned everything at the same place as you do? Do you think that everyone thinks the same way that you do? You appear to be a linear thinker, do you think that everyone else is the same?

I seriously dout the world would be better if they learned things at the same pace as I. I do think if all the stupid people who don't care learned at the same pace as I do then the world would be better, of course letting the smarter people than me keep their same brains and learning capabilities.

They don't to a point. The FCC does have that mandate that certain material cannot be shown until after a certain time of day.

jsanders said:
Being a linear thinker has nothing at all to do with the conclusions that a person arrives at. It is referring to the methodology with how a conclusion is arrived at. You appear to be linear thinking with a logical methodology with regard to arriving at conclusions, and you have stated you arrive at what you consider to be mostly liberal conclusions.
Mostly liberal, yes, but I have my number of conservative beliefs.

I have no idea then what you mean by this linear thinker stuff. I am no psychology major, and this is over my head right now. (Something I bet you're gonna have fun with)

I asked you a few questions to get your viewpoint, but you didn't answer them. I would appreciate it if you would give a straight answer with supporting thoughts. If you don't want to answer them, please explain why.

Well you'd think I'm being used as some type of study with a quote like that!

Neutron said:
They don't to a point. The FCC does have that mandate that certain material cannot be shown until after a certain time of day.
ONLY for OTA broadcasts.

Oh. That's weird. I thought the FCC was about enforcement of rules and stuff like that. Weren't they the ones that went after CBS/Viacomm after the incedent in last year's super bowl?

Who does the rating system anyway? Please don't tell me it is the MPAA. I don't see why cartoons don't have ratings the same way as other stuff. Cartoons do all the same levels of stuff that is filmed in real life now.

jsanders said:
Oh. That's weird. I thought the FCC was about enforcement of rules and stuff like that. Weren't they the ones that went after CBS/Viacomm after the incedent in last year's super bowl?
YES, but technically they went after the individual CBS affiliates.

jsanders said:
Who does the rating system anyway? Please don't tell me it is the MPAA. I don't see why cartoons don't have ratings the same way as other stuff. Cartoons do all the same levels of stuff that is filmed in real life now.
I don't know the answer to this.

D'oh! You guys are right about that one. The precedent is "The Howard Stern Show". He is moving to satellite radio so the FCC can't touch him. The super bowl incedent is an issue because it was a free, over the air broadcast that doesn't require any kind of subscription.

jsanders said:
D'oh! You guys are right about that one. The precedent is "The Howard Stern Show". He is moving to satellite radio so the FCC can't touch him. The super bowl incedent is an issue because it was a free, over the air broadcast that doesn't require any kind of subscription.

I'm gettin Sirius b/c of Stern. I can't get his broadcast here anyway, but he is the man. The FCC is a stupid governmental system that listens to the concerns of whiney people. JMO. The only good thing about the FCC is their recognition of the advance into the HDTV world.

jsanders said:

From TVGUIDELINES.ORG

How are programs rated?
Programs are voluntarily rated by the broadcast and cable television networks.

Does the same program week after week carry the same rating?
Programs are rated by episode and, therefore, may carry a different rating based on the content.

What is syndicated programming, and how is it rated?
Syndicated programs are those programs such as talk shows, game shows, and archived reruns of dramas and sitcoms first run by networks or cable systems, which are purchased by local television stations. The distributor of such programs is usually responsible for rating them.

Are commercials rated?
Television advertising is not rated.

Are network promotions rated?
Network promotions are advertisements for a specific daily or weekly program or block of programs. Many single show promotions display the rating that the program will carry.

Where do you find a program's rating?
To find a rating, you can check the: 1) local newspaper listing 2) TV Guide 3) on-screen display at the beginning of each show 4) on-screen cable program guide. Additionally, some television broadcast and cable networks list the program ratings on their web sites.

Do newspapers carry the TV Parental Guidelines?
A number of newspapers print the rating next to the program name and scheduled time in the listing guide. If your local newspaper does not list the TV ratings, call and ask that it do so.

How is the rating displayed on the TV?
A rating icon appears in the upper left hand corner at the start of the program. If the program is more than one hour, the icon will reappear at the beginning of the second hour.

Where do I send complaints about a program's rating?
The TV Parental Guidelines Monitoring Board is responsible for ensuring that the ratings are applied with accuracy and consistency. Individuals can contact the Board via mail, phone, or e-mail to voice complaints.

Who rates a movie that has been edited for television?
Theatrical movies rarely run uncut on broadcast or basic cable network television. The broadcast or basic cable network edits these movies according to the network's standards. After the movie has been modified, it is given a TV Parental Guideline rating. Premium cable networks like HBO and Showtime do run uncut theatrical movies. These movies carry the original MPAA movie rating, in addition to supplemental content advisories provided by the network.

HokieEngineer said:
To whoever started this thread:

What would you do if two men were kissing in a park, or somewhere in public that your kids saw it happen? Should we outlaw that?

By your logic, I should call and complain whenever I see a black man kiss a white woman on tv because I am a racist bigot who teaches my kids not to accept a person for who they are inside.

No, I'm not gay, but I get tired of people complain about crap like this. Dont like it? Turn the TV off and read your kids a book.

Outlaw someone kissing??? Give me a break. I don't really care to see anyone kissing in public even a man and woman.

What is this stuff about my logic and a black man kissing a white woman...How in the world are you using logic to explain mine? I never said outlaw anything. A cartoon channel for kids should not show stuff like this. Should a cartoon channel show people having sex? Why not? Should they advertise beer on Cartoon Network? Why not? I guess I could just turn it off and read a book as you say. That is exactly my point by the way...If Dish doesn't stop showing junk like this then I will do exactly what you say except I will turn Dish off and find another provider.

I personally don't believe in homosexuality but I'm not for outlawing it. I'm for letting a 5 year old kid grow up and enjoy fun stuff (Tom and Jerry for example) instead of sexual issues before they need to deal with it. By the way if Dish had advertised 2 hetrosexuals being a little aggressive I would have the exact same complaints. It is inappropriate for children and a children's channel.

LosingPatience said:
Well, I'm sure homosexuals everywhere are horrified and dismayed…

Funny. I thought this was a discussion board about Dish Network, not the Satellite Guys Offical Gay Bashing forum.

Somehow you can read the post before yours and come up with that? Do you read the entire posts or do you just scan for potential gay bashing posts?

This is not about homosexuality...this is about inappropriate material on a KIDS channel on DISH NETWORK!!!!

Well, I guess I just seriously doubt that if this commercial had shown a boy and a girl kissing you really would have started a thread about Dish showing inappropriate material on a kid's channel.

But what is truly offensive is that when you say you're not for "outlawing" it, you are implicitly suggesting that it is something that could be legislated out of existence - that these people could somehow be legislated out of existence.

Maybe (probably) I'm just being over sensitive to it, but I have worked with homeless teens for over 20 years, and the #1 reason young males are forced to leave home is because their NASCAR dad doesn't want a "queer" under his roof. The #1 reason teen age males commit suicide is because of how horribly their parents and families treat them after coming out. There persists this sick notion that it's a choice - that it can be cured - and these kids pay the price for this ignorance with their lives. You say that kids should be free to just be kids - well, I say amen to that. Just try for one minute to wrap your mind around the misery, despair and worthlessness a teenager must endure - the utter sense of hopelessness they must feel - to take their own life. And all because their parents "don't believe in homosexuality." It's the ultimate Late Term Abortion, but no church is protesting the death of these kids. I have taken way too many of them to the ground. I have seen too many young men and women lying in state-provided coffins, without one family member there to mourn the tragedy of their loss.

So no, I wasn't "scanning" for anti-gay references, but they're here. And, like I said, I didn't expect to encounter this kind of thing here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Charlie Chat and Chat this Monday...

Time To Switch To D* (I Guess)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)