Highly inappropriate material on a kids channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LosingPatience said:
Maybe (probably) I'm just being over sensitive to it
Yes. The messages you quoted were messages of tolerance. Remember that tolerance doesn't mean acceptance, it means agreeing to put up with something that you don't agree with.

There are any number of normal activities that I don't want to have to explain to my five-year-old on the spur of the moment. Grown-ups having sex. The processes involved in turning cows into hamburger. Necessary lab tests on animals. Colostomy bags. I'm not against any of these ideas, I just don't want to have to talk about them in the middle of programming for five-year-olds.

Unless you want to argue that this is appropriate for insertion into young children's programming, please let this thread expire peacefully. :)

LosingPatience
I didn't expect to read about Parents, Legislature, Churches, etc. taking responsibility for the actions of suicidal homosexuals. Maybe you should take your soapbox to a more appropriate forum.

LosingPatience said:
Well, I guess I just seriously doubt that if this commercial had shown a boy and a girl kissing you really would have started a thread about Dish showing inappropriate material on a kid's channel.

But what is truly offensive is that when you say you're not for "outlawing" it, you are implicitly suggesting that it is something that could be legislated out of existence - that these people could somehow be legislated out of existence.

Maybe (probably) I'm just being over sensitive to it, but I have worked with homeless teens for over 20 years, and the #1 reason young males are forced to leave home is because their NASCAR dad doesn't want a "queer" under his roof. The #1 reason teen age males commit suicide is because of how horribly their parents and families treat them after coming out. There persists this sick notion that it's a choice - that it can be cured - and these kids pay the price for this ignorance with their lives. You say that kids should be free to just be kids - well, I say amen to that. Just try for one minute to wrap your mind around the misery, despair and worthlessness a teenager must endure - the utter sense of hopelessness they must feel - to take their own life. And all because their parents "don't believe in homosexuality." It's the ultimate Late Term Abortion, but no church is protesting the death of these kids. I have taken way too many of them to the ground. I have seen too many young men and women lying in state-provided coffins, without one family member there to mourn the tragedy of their loss.

So no, I wasn't "scanning" for anti-gay references, but they're here. And, like I said, I didn't expect to encounter this kind of thing here.

First, I just want to say that I was not bashing homosexuality. Second, I agree with you whole heartedly in basically everything you said in the post above.

maximum said:
LosingPatience
I didn't expect to read about Parents, Legislature, Churches, etc. taking responsibility for the actions of suicidal homosexuals. Maybe you should take your soapbox to a more appropriate forum.

Wouldn't want to hear about how bigotry kills people. It might lead to an uncomfortable discussion with yourself.

The whole thread is based on the idea that homosexuality is a dirty secret. A post on the damage homophobes do to real people is completely on topic. If the first post had been a person objecting to their kid seeing a black person, the natural answer would be to discuss the nature of racism.

LosingPatience said:
Well, I guess I just seriously doubt that if this commercial had shown a boy and a girl kissing you really would have started a thread about Dish showing inappropriate material on a kid's channel.

But what is truly offensive is that when you say you're not for "outlawing" it, you are implicitly suggesting that it is something that could be legislated out of existence - that these people could somehow be legislated out of existence.

Maybe (probably) I'm just being over sensitive to it, but I have worked with homeless teens for over 20 years, and the #1 reason young males are forced to leave home is because their NASCAR dad doesn't want a "queer" under his roof. The #1 reason teen age males commit suicide is because of how horribly their parents and families treat them after coming out. There persists this sick notion that it's a choice - that it can be cured - and these kids pay the price for this ignorance with their lives. You say that kids should be free to just be kids - well, I say amen to that. Just try for one minute to wrap your mind around the misery, despair and worthlessness a teenager must endure - the utter sense of hopelessness they must feel - to take their own life. And all because their parents "don't believe in homosexuality." It's the ultimate Late Term Abortion, but no church is protesting the death of these kids. I have taken way too many of them to the ground. I have seen too many young men and women lying in state-provided coffins, without one family member there to mourn the tragedy of their loss.

So no, I wasn't "scanning" for anti-gay references, but they're here. And, like I said, I didn't expect to encounter this kind of thing here.

So you are saying what??? Again what does this have to do with my 5 year old kid and 10 year old child being subjected to commericals about homosexuality on Cartoon Network? Are you saying that they should be subjected to sexual references (ON A CARTOON CHANNEL) at the age of 5?

To answer your response on a boy and a girl kissing....It depends on how they were kissing. A simple kiss probably wouldn't be noticed but a commerical on Cartoon Network that showed them actively kissing(I don't think I need to go into detail) would get the same response.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Charlie Chat and Chat this Monday...

Time To Switch To D* (I Guess)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)