HiHD: Independence Day Features Revealed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
fox.jpg

Over at Hollywood in Hi-Def, Scott Hettrick has posted some video he shot when Van Ling, one of the prominent producers of extra content for home video releases, came to his home to show off the special features of the upcoming Fox Blu-ray release of 'Independence Day'. During the six minutes of video, Van walks you through some of the special features on the disc, including the BD-Java "Alien Scavenger Hunt" game.

'Independence Day' will be in stores this Tuesday.

Source: HiHD | Permalink
Great movie, who is getting it?

I'd spend $15-20 on it.

We have it on DVD, we're not overpaying for catalog releases, not intending to re-buy our huge collection.

HD is going to make a lot of the effects in this even more dated unfortunately. The explosions will be great though.

I'd spend $15-20 on it.

We have it on DVD, we're not overpaying for catalog releases, not intending to re-buy our huge collection.

HD is going to make a lot of the effects in this even more dated unfortunately. The explosions will be great though.

This was my stance on any HD DVD purchases in the past, and will be my stance on Blu-Ray. With that said, I have this movie on VHS and not DVD, as I have finally convinced my wife to allow me to remove all the VHS players I will probably purchase this in Blu, after I get my player.

While I enjoy this movie, I have a feeling it's going to be a disappointment on BD visually. Audio will be fine as I'm sure the engineering is gonna be up there with other releases, but it's a movie that falls into what I call the dead zone. Old enough to not be able to take full benefit from the HD format technology fully, but new enough that many will expect more than is possible without some serious restoration. Plus the dang price tag on this is (for me) makes it not worth it.

Edit:
let me clarify a bit. By saying it's gonna be a disspointment, I mean that all over the web, I see people expecting this to be a reference title visually and I just don't think it's gonna be that.

While I enjoy this movie, I have a feeling it's going to be a disappointment on BD visually. Audio will be fine as I'm sure the engineering is gonna be up there with other releases, but it's a movie that falls into what I call the dead zone. Old enough to not be able to take full benefit from the HD format technology fully, but new enough that many will expect more than is possible without some serious restoration. Plus the dang price tag on this is (for me) makes it not worth it.

Edit:
let me clarify a bit. By saying it's gonna be a disspointment, I mean that all over the web, I see people expecting this to be a reference title visually and I just don't think it's gonna be that.

I don't know. It looked darn good on STARZ and HBO. But I do agree with you. Fox is out of their minds on pricing, especially for catalog titles.

S~

Edit:

You think this is Old? 1996?

It was digitalized even before release, in fact that's how they created many of the special effects. Not my favorite movie, but it should look good in Blu-Ray and doesn't need restoration.

Geesh, nevermind, I didn't say it was old... Don't take what I type out of context.

Matter of fact, I see the first reviews in confirm what I was thinking. Good, but not great visuals, not what people expected and not reference material by my (or many others) measure. Here is one I can quickly link to
Blu-ray Review: Independence Day | High-Def Digest
To quote that article, they basically say what I am saying
I will say that I've always had mixed feeling about hailing 'ID4' as ideal for high-def, namely because the film was made before it was commonplace to polish transfers with computer-enhanced trickery, so I suspect those excepting an absolutely pristine presentation will be in for a disappointment.

What I am getting at is this. Blade Runner, no one expected anything tremendous and overall, people were pleased with the transfer. ID4, people are expecting too much and I think they'll be disappointed. Although reviews do say it is one of the better ID4 transfers out there and maybe the best looking version when compared with all previous releases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)