History Channel HD

For 20 years, every movie we rented on videotape began with the disclaimer:

This movie has been modified to fit your screen.

A simple process to eliminate least relevant sides of the movie and focus on the action.

I hope it's only a matter of time till someone comes up with a reverse process for old SD TV shows and modifies them to fit our new screens.

It could make someone a fortune.

Except that you are taking an already crappy 480 vertical lines of resolution cutting the top and bottom off to make it fit a 16x9 aspect ratio so maybe what 320 lines of vertical resolution left, and then blowing it up to 720 or 1080 vertical lines. This would make the source look even worse than standard definition.

OK. So we know both History HD and A&E HD broadcast half their show incorrectly in a "vertically squashed 16:9" for no good reason whatsoever. My question are:

1) WHY?

2) When are they going to get their act together?

3) Is there anything else we can do about it?

I have emailed them endlessly and never received a satisfactory answer. One time they acknowledged "we are aware of the problem and are working on a solution," but that was over six months ago. The problem is I just plain don't watch either of these channels anymore because you never know if the show you are tuning in to watch is going to watchable or not!

So Scott, or anybody, does anybody have any kind of real idea what the problem is with these channels? It is totally inexcusable. At least stretching 4:3 makes a little sense, but squashing a 16:9 is unacceptable.

I am sick of not being able to watch the History Channel HD. They've officially lost a viewer but I would love to come back a.s.a.p. Fix your channel!

I am sick of not being able to watch the History Channel HD. They've officially lost a viewer but I would love to come back a.s.a.p. Fix your channel!

The idea that someone from the History Channel is reading this thread is funny.

I actually emailed someone at a different channel about the same issue, and received a reply that they had received the message.

That channel is still stretched, despite my email containing eveyy possible argument on the subject.

The idea that someone from the History Channel is reading this thread is funny.

As "intelligent" as the A&E Networks try to convey themselves, I am increasingly convinced they are in fact retarded. Hence, reading is obviously beyond their comprehension, let alone figuring out what I'm talking about in this thread, or what the "internet" is for that matter.

/:tux:
//sad penguin doesn't like foolish aspect ratios.

Email response from my latest complaint:

Dear (Miggity),

Thank you for your recent comments concerning The History Channel in HD.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to contact us because your views on our programs provide the most direct and accurate information upon which we can fine tune this new THC venture.

Cordially,
Viewer Relations

The History Channel puts out some great programming, and if you are avoiding those programs because the pictures aren't as pretty as your standards demand and/or there are black bars on your screen seems to be a little juvenile, IMO. If Flavor of Love was broadcast in full 1080p and every other channel showed stretched out SD with black bars, I am 100% sure my HDTV would NOT be tuned to Flavor of Love! We are in on the relative ground floor of HD broadcasting and are in the minority of TV viewers, so I'll forgive channels for not giving me full HD at the cost of multi-millions of dollars to appease those who thought they were in for so much more when they paid a premium price for their TVs.

Not really juvenile. If anything, pretentious. I just keep waiting for them to air correctly. Why waste my time watching something that's all jacked up.

This is the same reason I returned Schindler's List to Netflix without watching it, because it was 4:3 Fullscreen. I ended up borrowing it from a friend instead, in widescreen like it is supposed to be.

I don't watch a lot of TV but if I am going to spend my time watching something, it is going to be the way it was intended to be seen.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I have no patience for incompetence or something that is substandard. If I'm gonna do it at all I'm going to do it right.

Last edited:
Update: Went home for lunch and saw last night's brand new episode of "Evolve" was again aired incorrectly in a letterboxed 4:3 then stretched to 16:9. There is no excuse for that. Instantly deleted. I'll keep my fingers crossed they decide to air it correct in reruns.

I feel like Walter from Big Lebowski on this issue, "Over the line! MARK IT ZERO!" The incompetence on the part of A&E Networks burns me up meanwhile people think I'm taking it too seriously, "Am I the only one around here that gives a f__k about the rules!?"

I guess I am.

Last edited:
The incompetence on the part of A&E Networks burns me up meanwhile people think I'm taking it too seriously, "Am I the only one around here that gives a f__k about the rules!?"

First off, you are not the only one who takes it seriously. Roger Ebert recorded a special 5 minute video about Correct Aspect Ratio and why it makes a real difference in watching movies (AMC showed that video on occasion in the past.)

But, you are wrong about incompetence. A&E and Food Network and all the other networks know that they are doing this. They are doing it intentionally, because they think it helps their bottom line.

And that is their "rules" - the bottom line. If they can get a fat bonus check, they could care less about people watching the programs.

img2611vg6.jpg

Commercials are one thing, but they air brand new episodes of the show like this! FAIL.

I see stretch-o-vision, I delete the program or change the channel, pure and simple. I cannot watch it. It looks like hell! You are not alone Miggity!

Tony

+1

delete, or remove dishpass, that is what I do with this crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)