History HD - Any HD programming ??

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
So, has anyone seen any real HD programming on History HD ??

Every time I tune to that channel, it is stretched upconverted 4x3 SD. :( :mad:

I think we have waited long enough at this point.

( Or am I just missing the time slots for real HD, like on A&E-HD ? )

I have seen several programs in hd on this channel. The Universe, some Modern Marvels, Mega Disasters to name a few.

I absolutely have. i always check the Original Air Date, and nearly all of the 2007 programs are in HD. Fairly close to Discovery or Science Channel in the amount of HD, by my estimate.

I haven't seen a lot of STRETCHED material but I haven't watched it that much. Mostly what I see is upconverted but still in OAR - there have been a couple of shows that were stretched though (a la TNT and WTBS, the two absolute worst offenders in my opinion).

I guess you could say that upconverted is STRETCHED but usually this term is used to mean stretched in one dimension only (? I think).

Hands down the most frustrating this is turning to the History Channel HD for some Dogfights or Modern Marvels and seeing something that is 16x9 ratio stretched horizontally only, leaving completely unnecessary letterbox on top and bottom.

4:3 stretched out for the ignorant masses I get, but what are they smoking to make the decision to stretch out 16:9 content? Or is someone just alseep at the wheel over there not switching it up between shows and ruining my experience?

Hands down the most frustrating this is turning to the History Channel HD for some Dogfights or Modern Marvels and seeing something that is 16x9 ratio stretched horizontally only, leaving completely unnecessary letterbox on top and bottom.

4:3 stretched out for the ignorant masses I get, but what are they smoking to make the decision to stretch out 16:9 content? Or is someone just alseep at the wheel over there not switching it up between shows and ruining my experience?

I think you will find that the purely STRETCHED garbage is mostly older stuff that was not shot in HD. The letterboxed stretched is almost always new programming that WAS shot in HD but has not yet been processed to be broadcast that way. Hopefully, eventually, all the new letterboxed shows will be processed and broadcast as true HD. I know IRT was shot in HD and originally was broadcast in letterboxed stretched but later was shown in true HD.

I believe (generally) that if you see letterboxed in a show it was shot in HD; e.g. I see many new programs on RFD that are both letterboxed and are shown in 4:3 (so what you see is a picture frame). I would think these are the shows set to air on RFD-HD.

=NLK=

Wasn't there a fire at one of the History Channel facilities over the summer? I can't remember the exact specifics, but I seem to recall that after it happened, the word was that it wouldn't delay the debut of History HD (which hadn't happened at that point) but it would delay the production of some HD content.

Wish I could remember more about this, does this ring a bell with anyone?

I believe that all the most of the 2007 programs are in HD. You might see stretched-O-Vision in programing prior to 2007. I personally like History HD....the programs of this year have been great (the content and Picture quality).

the fire was after the launch

This is when A&E and History hd started stretching there non hd programs. I wonder if they came up with this great idea due to the fire or it is something that they cannot fix. Guys. It is not a great idea.:)

History HD is probley my most watched channel. Then maybe science channel, then natgeo. then about a few other ones get my spare time if any LOL...pends on how full I have my DVR and how much I need to catch up on.

Why did Charlie launch A&E, ir has no compelling HD content, unless you like CSI MIami reruns.

To make all the complainers who want more hd another channel to watch and complain about as it has too much stretch o vision.

If it's stretched letterbox, I just use "zoom" on the 622, if it's stretched 4x3, I just set my TV for 4x3. What's the big deal? Even w/ my tv set for 4x3, or the 622 zoomed, it's considerably sharper than the SD channel IMO.

Rob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts