HMC Whole Home DVR – HR34/H25 – Final questions before I switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
Well, it appears Direct might finally get me to switch. The new HMC Whole Home DVR appears to be exactly what I have been waiting for. Here is an old post where I detailed this a year ago ->http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/235483-dream-dvr-hd-setup.html. I have a few final questions to make sure I am completely understanding everything correctly and don’t have any surprises with the switch. Note: for my setup I will have one main DVR in living room with 3 other TVs in the house and all 4 TV’s are HD.

I believe the following statements are all true. Let me know if any are not.
  1. By choosing the HMC option, I WILL GET a HR34 as my main DVR. This is the new receiver with 5 tuners that allows me to record 5 different shows at once.
  2. My other 3 HD receivers WILL BE H25 receivers since those are the only models that support the HR34 HMC Whole Home DVR setup.
  3. The HR34 and H25 receivers are both modern receivers that have a much faster response time when browsing through the programming guide. I am comparing this to the really slow response time that I have read about on the HR23/H23 and older models.
  4. I will be able to watch a different recording on each of my 3 remote TVs at the same time while also watching a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] different recording on my main TV.
  5. I will be able to pause and rewindLIVE TV on all 4 TV’s (I am asking about LIVE TV, not recordings)
  6. I will be able to watch a different show (live or recorded) on each TV at the same time
  7. I will be able to add/delete/modify DVR timers from any of my 4 TVs
I am a little sketchy on the following questions
  1. I will be able to connect the HR34 to the internet using my Ethernet connection and then be able to manage my DVR remotely on my computer.
  2. Other than the Ethernet connection on the HR34 in the living room, none of the other receivers will need to be connected to a phone or Ethernet connection.
  3. If I have 4 recordings going at 8:00pm, will I still be able to watch LIVE TV on all 4 TVs at the same time? Or will only 1 TV be able to watch LIVE TV at that moment and the others required to watch one of the recordings?
  4. Is the H25 an actual receiver or is it just used for streaming content from the HR34? Or, is it actually both?
  5. If my HR34 dies will I still be able to watch TV on my remote TVs until it is replaced?
  6. I am a little confused how the H25 is allowing me to pause and rewind LIVE TV. I assume this is possible because it is streaming all its content from the main HR34. But, at the same time I thought the H25 is an actual receiver but since it does not have a DVR I don’t know how it could allow you to pause and rewind LIVE TV.
  7. Does the HR34 support an external hard drive so I can save even more recordings?
Last, but not least…..seriously, what is the downside to the HMC Whole Home DVR solution? Honestly, it seems too good to be true and I am wondering what “catch” I am overlooking.

1. yes
2. actually you can use other HD DVR's or HD units but the H25 will work
3. yes
4. yes
5. no. The H25 is not a DVR so I dont think it will give you DVR functions if you are just watchig live tv
6. yes. The H25 is a full function receiver independent of the HR34. You would only need to use the HR34 if you watch soemthing from the hard drive
7. I think you can

2nd batch of questions
1. you can set timers via the computer. Dont know about managing them.
2. correct
3. yes. The H25 is a full function receiver.
4. actual receiver. Folks use them right now as stand alone HD receivers
5. yes
6. see answer 5 in the first 1/2 of answers
7. it does but unliuke the Dish receivers the EHD replaces the internal drive, not add onto it.

I dont see one yet. I wish I could get one but as current sub it would cost me too much

Hi there, I recently signed up for DirecTV with that exact same setup. Hopefully these answers will help you out a bit since they were the same questions I had.

1. Yes, by choosing the HMC you are GUARANTEED to get a HMC (assuming they're in stock at local warehouse). They will not bring you an HR24, and if they did you would simply deny installation. You pay for the HMC, you get the HMC.

2. This is correct, all your other receivers will be H25s. Overall, these are great little receivers and they are fast.

3. The H25s are extremely fast, especially with the new Guide update. The HR34 is fast, but I see some delay issues with the guide (waiting for it to come up, and scrolling). This definitely seems software related and I've found that pressing Exit prior to pressing Guide makes it come up instantly. The HR34 HMC does not have the new HD guide yet. I would assume the speed would increase when the new guide is installed.

4. Yes, you will be able to watch up to 3 remote streams for whole home DVR and a local stream.

5. You cannot pause/rewind live TV on the H25s, only the HR34. You can do this with RVU clients (if I'm not mistaken) but that's because these are using the tuner built into the HR34.

6. Yes, that is correct. This service is different (and better, IMO) then U-Verse. You are not limited on number of streams if you have separate boxes in each room.

7. You are able to schedule and delete recordings from any receiver, however, you cannot modify recordings (change from series to episode, add extra time, etc) from the remote (H25) receivers. You can only do this from the main HR34. When you set up a recording, you can set it to record series or episodes, but you do not get the option to choose "First Run" or "All" on what to record for series.

Second set of questions:

1. I don't believe you need your receiver connected to the internet to set recordings remotely (I know this was the case in the past). By connecting to the internet (via cinema connection kit or ethernet) you can download on demand movies, access youtube, etc.

2. If you have the cinema connection kit, you do not need the other receivers to be connected individually to the internet or phone line (unless you want caller ID).

3. You will be able to interdependently watch shows on all TVs even if you have 4 shows recording at 8 PM. If you switch to RVU clients, this would change.

4. The H25 is an actual receiver, a very small one at that.

5. Yes, you can still watch TV assuming you still have the H25s. If you go with RVU clients, you would have to have the HR34 for all TVs to function. With additional H25s you can still watch TV on all other TVs, you just can't record.

6. The H25 is not capable of pausing/rewinding live TV.

7. I'm not sure of this, but I believe you can add an eSATA drive.

Honestly, there hasn't been many downsides to the HMC. I've had it for about 5 days and I love it. I wish it had the HD guide, but that'll come soon enough. I have also found the software to be a little glitchy, but again these things will get resolved soon enough.

Hope this helps!

Good answers and good questions. I'm with you Iceberg. If the cost to switch out 2 of my existing HR24's to one HR34 wasn't what it is for an existing customer, I'd be switching down to one HR24 and one HR34 myself.

Hmm.... Considering the HR24 is $199 each x2 would be $398, I wonder if I could get them to do it for a dollar?? :)

does anyone know which tvs are rvu complient that I could buy right now if I so wanted? links/model numbers plz, i was not able to really find anything, altho Im also a hardcore LG fan.

View attachment SpecSheet_HR34_HDDVR_2011.pdf

Darn, I am a little disappointed. I thought you could pause and rewind live TV on all TVs. See the attached spec sheet. At the bottom it states "Pause and rewind live TV in all rooms". I guess this is true if you are using RVU TVs everywhere but not true with H25 receivers? I was thinking/hoping the H25 was actually an RVU client. That is what I really wish for and what I was thinking made this DVR difference as compared to the current Whole Home DVR service from Direct.

I guess I really don't see the big difference in the following two options assuming a 4 HD TV setup and using Whole Home DVR service:
  1. HR34 in main room and H25 in 3 remote rooms
  2. HR24 in two rooms and h25 in two rooms
Option #2 allows you to pause/rewind live TV in two rooms instead of just one. Option #1 gives you 5 tuners available for recording instead of 4 but you can only pause/rewind in the main room. Any other real differences?

I guess this is true if you are using RVU TVs everywhere but not true with H25 receivers? I was thinking/hoping the H25 was actually an RVU client.
The H25 is a full function receiver while the RVU unit is...for lack of a better term...braindead receiver that requires the HR34 to operate
If the HR34 craps out there goes your whole TV viewing with RVU's...the H25 can be used just fine

Me I'd be stoked to have 5 tuners in my living room :)

does anyone know which tvs are rvu complient that I could buy right now if I so wanted? links/model numbers plz, i was not able to really find anything, altho Im also a hardcore LG fan.

There are three Samsung models that were supposed to be rvu compliant, the D6000, D6400, and D6420. Apparently their certification has been delayed for whatever reason. The bottom line, there is no rvu compliant televisions right now.

View attachment 72126

Darn, I am a little disappointed. I thought you could pause and rewind live TV on all TVs. See the attached spec sheet. At the bottom it states "Pause and rewind live TV in all rooms". I guess this is true if you are using RVU TVs everywhere but not true with H25 receivers? I was thinking/hoping the H25 was actually an RVU client. That is what I really wish for and what I was thinking made this DVR difference as compared to the current Whole Home DVR service from Direct.

I guess I really don't see the big difference in the following two options assuming a 4 HD TV setup and using Whole Home DVR service:
Option #2 allows you to pause/rewind live TV in two rooms instead of just one. Option #1 gives you 5 tuners available for recording instead of 4 but you can only pause/rewind in the main room. Any other real differences?

There is a workaround for this. I use it on my H24. If I find a program I like, I tell it to record it, choose which DVR (I have three), and then I can pause and rewind from where I started recording. When I'm done, delete the recording.

I really see no advantage to RVU over using an H25. You get more tuners with the extra boxes, they're small enough to mount them behind a TV and you aren't limited to 5 total tuners for the house (and handcuffed if something happens to the HR34).

I really see no advantage to RVU over using an H25. You get more tuners with the extra boxes, they're small enough to mount them behind a TV and you aren't limited to 5 total tuners for the house (and handcuffed if something happens to the HR34).

I haven't seen anything about how the fee structure works for the HR34. Is it still $7/month even though it has five tuners? Is there no extra charge if you can use an rvu compliant television instead of an H25 or the C30?

RVU clients allow me to pause/rewind live TV on every TV. I know some people could care less about this but it is critical to me. I know 5 tuners is not enough for some people but it is plenty for me. Everybody's needs are a little different.

Seriously, the main reason pause/rewind live TV is so important is because I have young kids. There is no such thing as 30 or 60 minutes of undisturbed time in my house. We tend to watch shows in pieces as time permits in-between feeding kids, bathing kids, working on home work, doing laundry, etc, etc.

I haven't seen anything about how the fee structure works for the HR34. Is it still $7/month even though it has five tuners? Is there no extra charge if you can use an rvu compliant television instead of an H25 or the C30?

This is a good question, and kind of what I am waiting to see. Will we be able to get an RVU box from directv or buy one, and avoid the extra receiver fee's. This would save some serious dough for a home with a lot of T.V.'s. I would switch to D* from E* in a heartbeat if this is the case.

RVU clients allow me to pause/rewind live TV on every TV. I know some people could care less about this but it is critical to me. I know 5 tuners is not enough for some people but it is plenty for me. Everybody's needs are a little different.

Seriously, the main reason pause/rewind live TV is so important is because I have young kids. There is no such thing as 30 or 60 minutes of undisturbed time in my house. We tend to watch shows in pieces as time permits in-between feeding kids, bathing kids, working on home work, doing laundry, etc, etc.

All you have to do right now with a h25 to pause live is it the record button once and then start playing your recording. Then it functions just like a dvr would on live tv. This way also will let goto any other room and watch where you left off if needed the best of both worlds.

I have an HR34 with two extra H25 receivers. There is no additional fee for the HR34, however, I have heard from multiple CSRs that there is still a $6 charge per "RVU" client so there is no savings when it comes to receivers vs. RVU.

I can appreciate that. There are times where I wish I had that capability, and I can always add it in the future with getting RVU capable TVs. Unfortunately, these TVs are a little expensive now so I don't plan on getting them any time soon.

Hi there, I recently signed up for DirecTV with that exact same setup. Hopefully these answers will help you out a bit since they were the same questions I had.

1. Yes, by choosing the HMC you are GUARANTEED to get a HMC (assuming they're in stock at local warehouse). They will not bring you an HR24, and if they did you would simply deny installation. You pay for the HMC, you get the HMC.

2. This is correct, all your other receivers will be H25s. Overall, these are great little receivers and they are fast.

3. The H25s are extremely fast, especially with the new Guide update. The HR34 is fast, but I see some delay issues with the guide (waiting for it to come up, and scrolling). This definitely seems software related and I've found that pressing Exit prior to pressing Guide makes it come up instantly. The HR34 HMC does not have the new HD guide yet. I would assume the speed would increase when the new guide is installed.

4. Yes, you will be able to watch up to 3 remote streams for whole home DVR and a local stream.

5. You cannot pause/rewind live TV on the H25s, only the HR34. You can do this with RVU clients (if I'm not mistaken) but that's because these are using the tuner built into the HR34.

6. Yes, that is correct. This service is different (and better, IMO) then U-Verse. You are not limited on number of streams if you have separate boxes in each room.

7. You are able to schedule and delete recordings from any receiver, however, you cannot modify recordings (change from series to episode, add extra time, etc) from the remote (H25) receivers. You can only do this from the main HR34. When you set up a recording, you can set it to record series or episodes, but you do not get the option to choose "First Run" or "All" on what to record for series.

Second set of questions:

1. I don't believe you need your receiver connected to the internet to set recordings remotely (I know this was the case in the past). By connecting to the internet (via cinema connection kit or ethernet) you can download on demand movies, access youtube, etc.

2. If you have the cinema connection kit, you do not need the other receivers to be connected individually to the internet or phone line (unless you want caller ID).

3. You will be able to interdependently watch shows on all TVs even if you have 4 shows recording at 8 PM. If you switch to RVU clients, this would change.

4. The H25 is an actual receiver, a very small one at that.

5. Yes, you can still watch TV assuming you still have the H25s. If you go with RVU clients, you would have to have the HR34 for all TVs to function. With additional H25s you can still watch TV on all other TVs, you just can't record.

6. The H25 is not capable of pausing/rewinding live TV.

7. I'm not sure of this, but I believe you can add an eSATA drive.

Honestly, there hasn't been many downsides to the HMC. I've had it for about 5 days and I love it. I wish it had the HD guide, but that'll come soon enough. I have also found the software to be a little glitchy, but again these things will get resolved soon enough.

Hope this helps!

Ok, just to confirm, you have attempted to Pause, etc, Trick Play, content streaming from HR34HMC to your other room connected to the HR24, and no Trick Play possible at all in other rooms that have the HR24 while playing back content from the HR34HMC? I appreciate your response. This is really important to me and a deal breaker.

View attachment 72126

No Trick Play in other rooms using the HR25 is a MAJOR deal breaker. I was ready to ditch Dish for DTV because my monthly costs would decrease with DTV. However, now it looks like I just may wait for Dish and their XiP which will use clients in all other rooms, meaning full Trick Play in other rooms. That is a MUST for us. The only downside to switching to DTV would have been the loss of H2 HD (now programming NEW content, much more new stuff for 2012, not just old re-runs), Nat Geo Wild HD, and BBC America HD, as I watch those 3 quite a bit and it would have hurt a bit.

However, if the other rooms cannot operate as a client using the HR25's, then it is off. I am aware of the RVU, but I don't have the compatible Samsung TV's and I'm NOT going to run out now and buy HDTV's just to work as clients. This is still a very new product. Please let us know if we have misunderstood this deal breaker or if there is some way for DirecTV to, via software, etc., to have the HR25's operate as clients OR if DTV offers Clients of its own instead of HR25's. I hope that is possible as DTV would save a fair amount of money per months compared to Dish. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)