Hockey No More.....Star Choice Denied NHL Hockey

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
www.skyreport.com

Star Choice Denied NHL Hockey

Shaw Communications subsidiary Star Choice - one of two Canadian providers of direct-to-home satellite services - is being forced to blackout certain NHL games to its hockey-loving subscribers. The company is halting the broadcasts in response to a court order sought by rival communications company Rogers Sportsnet.

According to reports, Star Choice had stopped conducting the blackouts in an effort to address subscriber frustration and confusion resulting from Sportsnet's frequent blackouts of NHL games. The company said Sportsnet blackouts make it impossible for Star Choice subs to see games of the Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks outside the local markets.

The court order obtained by Sportsnet means the blackouts must now be reinstated.

Shaw Communications President Peter Bissonnette said the company is "very disappointed with the actions of Rogers Sportsnet and the NHL" because hockey is thriving throughout the country. "Every arena is sold-out and advertising is at an all time high," he said. "It doesn't make any sense to us why Canadians should be denied access to their favorite teams."

Star Choice is providing the phone number to Rogers Sportsnet (877.288.7767) in case subscribers want to call and complain. The can also contact the National Hockey League directly at media_feedback@nhl.com.

Rogers Sportsnet only purchased local broadcast rights, so you know that the NHL pushed Rogers.

This is simply another case where posting "finds" on internet forums (as many did on other Canadian forums) means "Post it, lose it"

I've been blacked out of all games on RSN except for the Leafs (have an NW Ontario address) so I don't understand how they say they didn't do blackouts

I noticed the other nite there was a game on RSN that was balcked out and the screen says "due to a court order this game is blacked out"

MLB we weren't last year. The year before the Seattle games on RSN-P were blacked out

This news just confirms why I don't watch NHL hockey any more. Their year long strike and rules changed really didn't sit well with me, and now this.

Neutron
Rogers Sportsnet is a regional channel (like FSN) so technically they aren't able to show games outside the local area. Kinda sucks but like I say, I havent seen a game outside of the local area on RSN so its kinda moot for me :)

This news just confirms why I don't watch NHL hockey any more. Their year long strike and rules changed really didn't sit well with me, and now this.

Spoken like a true stars fan, lmao! NHL hockey remains the most competitive sport in North America. I agree that Gary Bettman is the problem and for some reason he wants the league to die, at least based upon his television contracts, especially in High Def

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)