Hogzilla got knocked out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Looks like hogzilla is small fries now,

Boy, 11, Bags Hog Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'
Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:32 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By KATE BRUMBACK

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Hogzilla is being made into a horror movie. But the sequel may be even bigger: Meet Monster Pig. An 11-year-old boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet 4, from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

If the claims are accurate, Jamison Stone's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.

Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet long. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.

Regardless of the comparison, Jamison is reveling in the attention over his pig.

"It feels really good," Jamison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Monster Pig. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Through it all, there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation for doing.

"I was a little bit scared, a little bit excited," said Jamison, who lives in Pickensville on the Mississippi border. He just finished the sixth grade on the honor roll at Christian Heritage Academy, a small, private school.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast, with 5-inch tusks, decided to charge.

With the animal finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange in Lineville, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Kinder's scale measures only to the nearest 10, but Mike Stone said it balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said.

The hog's head is being mounted by Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.

"It's huge," he said. "It's just the biggest thing I've ever seen."

Mike Stone is having sausage made from the rest of the animal. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 pounds," he said.

Jamison, meanwhile, has been offered a small part in "The Legend of Hogzilla," a small-time horror flick based on the tale of the Georgia boar. The movie is holding casting calls with plans to begin filming in Georgia.

Jamison is enjoying the newfound celebrity generated by the hog hunt, but he said he prefers hunting pheasants to monster pigs: "They are a little less dangerous."

———

Associated Press writer Jay Reeves in Birmingham contributed to this report.

———

Attachments

• hogzilla.jpg
    hogzilla.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 148
An 11-year-old boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet 4, from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail.
With the animal finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.
(emphasis mine) A "wild" animal raised in a controlled environment? Did it forage for food on its own or was it provided by the Plantation? Were natural predators present in this preserve and allowed to hunt the hogs?

I think "Hogzilla" can rest easy. Major cajones on the kid, though. A .50 caliber pistol can't be easy to handle, especially facing a huge animal like this hog.

I would have to wonder if the preserve had known that hog was on its property but I can see that a hog among many that they added onto the preserve some 10 or so years ago may have been living at the outskirts of the property and gone unnoticed.

Good idea Paul, oh and how is life in Hamtramck these days? I havent been up that way in a few years, still heavy eastern Europe population?

http://charter.net/news/read.php?id=13741076&ps=1020&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

Heres the latest on the monster hog, turns out it had been farm raised, read on for more details.

Pig Was a Monster, but He Wasn't Wild
Friday, June 1, 2007 11:45 PM EDT
The Associated Press

FRUITHURST, Ala. (AP) — The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred. The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.

"I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

Mike Stone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday that he had been under the impression that the hog was wild, not farm-raised.

Telephone messages left Friday with Eddy Borden, the owner of Lost Creek Plantation, were not immediately returned.

Stone said state wildlife officials told him that it is not unusual for hunting preserves to buy farm-raised hogs and that the hogs are considered feral once they are released.

Stone said he and his son met Blissitt on Friday morning to get more details about the hog. Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

Blissitt said that the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing," Stone said. "He shook Jamison's hand and said he did not kill the family pet."

The Blissitts said they didn't know the hog that was hunted was Fred until they were contacted by a game warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. The agency determined that no laws were violated in the hunt.

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photo of Fred was doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

Good idea Paul, oh and how is life in Hamtramck these days? I havent been up that way in a few years, still heavy eastern Europe population?

More Bangladesh and Middle East these days. Still not a bad place to live, just not the same city I grew up in.Just the same , it's become time to move. I have a two yr. old, and the schools around here absolutely blow, and last night somebody smashed the side window on my truck, in an aborted smash - and - grab for my tools.

Atleast it was the truck and not your front door to the house though. The last time I was there I was doing an install for a Ukrainian family, it seemed like the whole block was from the region. Home was nice and there was some old world charm to the furnishings, the lady of the house was nice enough and stayed out of my way, she spent her time next door at her friends. I think the time would have been summer of 02 when I finished my jail time ( joking ) installing in Detroit on a full time basis.

Better go see the Doctor about that BP my friend. Mine was 153/107. Doc, gave me some medication and now I'm 110/72. I'm much better now. How do you like it down there in Athens?

Awesome!

Thank you for that. I loved when that Hogzilla story broke, AND the fact that they're making a movie out of it. Now they have sequel material. There must be even more Hogzillas out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)