If you're one of the idiots that does this, KNOCK IT OFF and have some common sense...

To be fair, the "California Stop" has been a thing for as long as I can remember.

Truckers have long known Oregon as "the state with eight shades of red" when it comes to running red lights.
Yes harshness and bobby they have been around for a long time. But just one trip to the store i have seen more violations then ever before. You can even see areas where cars have driven off the road into barriers still not repaired. It is way more then ever before very not normal stuff. Be safe out there. No common sense out there.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Has anyone actually looked at state laws regarding expressway and interstate laws siting.....merge situations?
From what I see moving traffic has the right of way. And the person merging is the one who yields.
Etiquette would dictate that if you see someone in front of you trying to get into traffic, let 'em in.
If the guy is an a$$hole and cramps you out, maybe the next one behind won't be so much of one.
As a Class A CDL holder it is my job to NOT get into or cause an accident. Accidents hurt. Points suck. And employers frown on drivers with a paper trail.
As a motorcyclist I ride like nobody else can see me. But I'm damn sure that I do my best to make sure drivers are aware of me. Loud pipes do save lives. Yours, Theirs, Deer, Amish.....take your pick.
Take nothing for granted.
Signals are there for a purpose. I don't think jacking into the interstate after dark in your matte black Hellcat and not using your signals showing your intent would fare well. To me. Once a vehicle is wrecked, it's wrecked. Period.
No matter if you get Pancho's Auto Body and Paint to fix it to keep it off of Carfax.

That said. I lived in Florida. With the influx of our "South of the borderer's" and islanders. Road etiquette sucked ass.
And with the release of The fast and the furious movies. It got tons worse.
Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami......a trip to Atlanta. Fuhgedaboutit.
Grrr....little slumped-off-to-the-side, ballcap-bill-spun-off-to-one-ear, tomato can muffler Civic drivers with about 7 degrees negative camber and a Picasso inspired map of their country splatted on a CD hanging from the rear view....with the bass so cranked that Dynamat won't even adhere.

You should always signal your intentions. You know. Using that little thingy that is on the left behind your steering wheel.
And you terminal dilly-dally grandpa's need to learn how to mash the gas pedal. Even if your car doesn't use.....gas.
Patience. Use it. You'll get home. I swear. Even if Rodrigo wears what should be in his pants happens to be on top of his shoulders. Ernie or Michelle just might let you squeeze in front. Take nothing for granted.

Kirk out!

Reactions: c-spand
In Californicopia all of those have been standard since I got my first driver's license 60 years ago... ;)
I would suggest the phrase "common practice" in place of "standard". Standard implies something in writing such as the California Driver Handbook.
No common sense out there.
Common sense and personal responsibility were abandoned long ago when people decided that they should be legislated because that would obviously work better.

My beef is with motor vehicle operators who stop in (or across) crosswalks or use bike lanes as a bypass.

Reactions: c-spand
Has anyone actually looked at state laws regarding expressway and interstate laws siting.....merge situations?
Oregon calls the offense "811.375 Unlawful or unsignaled change of lane".

Washington covers merging in RCW 46.61.305 (2) "A signal of intention to turn or move right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle before turning". Specifically, a merge is considered a "move left when required".

I wasn't able to find anything in California's VEH code (the terms merge and merging aren't found by their search engine) but the Driver Handbook, like those of Oregon and Washington demand that the first step in merging is to signal.

All three states have a minimum 100' requirement for signalling.

It is better from a legislative perspective to require signalling under all conditions than to have rules excepted based on special situations or rationalization on the part of individuals (including Law Enforcement).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)