Holiday HD Upgrade Question

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
In the Charlie Chat, and now mind you I have a toddler so I missed most of the audio, they said you can upgrade to an HD DVR for $25.00. Was that for a single or dual tuner HD DVR? I just got off a chat with a customer service rep. who said I could get a single tuner for free or a dual tuner for $50.00??? Where did the $25.00 come in there? I know I havent been a dish customer forever, but I have been here for nearly 3 years now. Thanks!

I had just upgraded to HD with a dual-tuner and it cost me more than $25, so I called DISH about it and they said the offer is not for dual-tuner receivers. They told me it would be $25 for a single tuner.

So maybe they are cutting you a deal for being a good customer and offering it to you for free.

I tried calling yesterday and got the $50 quote as well. I'm planning on calling back later because it was obvious my CSR wasn't the greatest. My quote was for the 622.

I received my bill today and it contained a flier promoting the $25 HD DVR upgrade. I called and was upgraded from a 411 HD Receiver to a 612 HD DVR for free. I had to agree to a 24 month commitment, which I three months ago so no big deal.

My installation is scheduled for Dec 20th, which happens to be the day my new Samsung LN52A650 52in TV is being delivered. :)

John

I called yesterday and was quoted $50 to upgrade to 622 or $125 to upgrade to 722 with a 24 mo committment (customer for 12 years non-issue). The CSR said if I take the 722 they would refund me $21 per month for 6 months so it is basically a free upgrade. They are coming Monday to do the install. Couldn't pass this deal up.

Unfortunately it all depends on a number of factors, how long you have been a customer, how well you pay your bill on time, how much you spend, how your credit score looks etc.

Each person who calls will receive a different offer.

Personally I don't like this way of doing business, every customer should be considered an equal, But then again in some cases I can understand why they do it. Its one of those catch 22's.

I received my bill today and it contained a flier promoting the $25 HD DVR upgrade. I called and was upgraded from a 411 HD Receiver to a 612 HD DVR for free. I had to agree to a 24 month commitment, which I three months ago so no big deal.

My installation is scheduled for Dec 20th, which happens to be the day my new Samsung LN52A650 52in TV is being delivered. :)

John

Thats the funny part, the CSR that I chatted with told me that a single tuner is $25.00 but for me, in this special, it would be free, however a dual tuner was $50.00 I guess maybe its time to make multiple calls until I get the 'right' CSR.
As far as bill pay and credit scores and the like, I do auto pay, with paperless statements. Credit score is darn high and I do high volume business transactions, so that isnt a worry either. Its a crap shoot, is what it sounds like to me ( and often times just to find one that speaks well enough english to understand).

Got a holiday promo email the other day so called Dish about upgrading to HD, and here's the offer.

612 Free
622 $50
211 $75
222 $100
722 $125

Price included installation and antenna upgrade and DVR advantage would take care of the $5.98/mo. If they'd offered me the $21/mo credit for the 722 I'd taken it on the spot. Instead I hung up to think about it and logged on here. :D

Careful, that's a lot of cash to put out for leased equip. Can you leverage with an offer from directv or cable?

I have 622, 508, and 811 and am out of contract. their offer was that I pay them $25 for getting 2 612's to replace the 508 plus 2 yr committment. Then I could get a swapout of the 811 for the 211 for free - once committed.

wow i got an amazing deal then..i got upgraded from a 622 to a 722 and also added the 612 for free plus free installation

by the way the install was the most amazing job every done by an installer

Got a holiday promo email the other day so called Dish about upgrading to HD, and here's the offer.

612 Free
622 $50
211 $75
222 $100
722 $125
That list makes no sense whatsoever! Why would Dish want more for non-DVRs than DVRs? Are there actually brain-dead customers out there who will spend more on PPV if they have a DVR than those without? I must admit that I used to be a PPV customer, but I have yet to pay for my first PPV at the new price. And with the DRM must-view 24hr window... The DVR feature is seriously devalued.

Thats the funny part, the CSR that I chatted with told me that a single tuner is $25.00 but for me, in this special, it would be free, however a dual tuner was $50.00 I guess maybe its time to make multiple calls until I get the 'right' CSR.
As far as bill pay and credit scores and the like, I do auto pay, with paperless statements. Credit score is darn high and I do high volume business transactions, so that isnt a worry either. Its a crap shoot, is what it sounds like to me ( and often times just to find one that speaks well enough english to understand).

The CSR I dealt with was American as apple pie, a young female, perhaps a college student. I was so surprised that I asked her where she was based and she said Colorado. I did not have to press to get the refund deal. I had asked how much to upgrade to 722 instead, she said 125, I said oh that's a bit much and was about to say give me the 622 when she said she could set me up with a refund of 21 per month for six months. I said YES! She did seem like she was reading from a script. At one point she said, "Is there anything else I can do for you today?" And I said, "Uh how about when are they coming to install?" "Oh yeah I forgot." She was going to send someone the next day (Friday) but we were expecting a huge ice storm here in the northeast so I put off till Monday. I got a voicemail recording from DISH yesterday reminding me of the install so I hope they come and everything goes ok.

I will have to call back. I was a 10 year D* customer, but changed for local service about 3 years ago or so. I keep getting those letters that D* wants me back......so maybe leverage that against them, even though I dont want to change.

Definitely call back and use Direct as a bargaining tool. I called 5 times over the last 3 weeks, twice last Saturday. I was originally quoted $150 for a 722 installed (I had a 625). I got it down to $75 with the last CSR with an accent that I talked too :). I hung up with her and called back about an hour later prepared to cancel my service and go to Direct if I wasn't given a better deal. This time I got a very sweet lady with a southern accent who got me the upgrade for free, with 3 months free HBO and Starz, plus the Cinemax for a penny deal. They had someone out on Thursday morning for the install and I am enjoying sweet HD! I was very polite, just explained that I was disatisfied with their offers for current subscriber upgrades and I wanted to know how set a specific date for cancelation.

I used the D* wants me back letter that I get (every other month it seems like) and they offered me a 722 Free, with 3 months of HBO and Starz as well. Nice lady, must have been from India though, was a bit hard to understand at times. They will be here tomorrow to install between 12-5.

Definitely call back and use Direct as a bargaining tool. I called 5 times over the last 3 weeks, twice last Saturday. I was originally quoted $150 for a 722 installed (I had a 625). I got it down to $75 with the last CSR with an accent that I talked too :). I hung up with her and called back about an hour later prepared to cancel my service and go to Direct if I wasn't given a better deal. This time I got a very sweet lady with a southern accent who got me the upgrade for free, with 3 months free HBO and Starz, plus the Cinemax for a penny deal. They had someone out on Thursday morning for the install and I am enjoying sweet HD! I was very polite, just explained that I was disatisfied with their offers for current subscriber upgrades and I wanted to know how set a specific date for cancelation.

Did you have to give them a 24 month comittment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts