Holland Diplexer used in place of DPP Separator.

raklet

Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Idaho
I want to connect a DVR 625 using only a single coax from a DPP Twin LNB. I know that a separator must be used to feed the two tuners, but does it HAVE to be a DPP Separator? Or can I use a red Holland Diplexer in place of a separator?

Thanks

Raklet

I want to connect a DVR 625 using only a single coax from a DPP Twin LNB. I know that a separator must be used to feed the two tuners, but does it HAVE to be a DPP Separator? Or can I use a red Holland Diplexer in place of a separator?

Thanks

Raklet
yes..the seprator is a destacker..the diplexer will not work

..the seprator is a destacker..
Are you sure about that? It looks like an ordinary DC-blocked on one port splitter, and they're awful inexpensive. I'll have to hook up a DVB box and see.

The diplexer definitely won't work though.

The 625 doesn't come with a separator?

You could try it and see if it works :)

Someone told me once that they did try it and it did work, but you really need to use a seperator but could try it in the meantime if you do not have a seperator readly available.

The diplexer will not work. I had a friend that installed one before because he didn't have a seperator and he got it to work but it didn't last long. Not even a whole day. As I understand it when you are using DPP equipment you have to at least use 2 pieces of DPP equipment with the DPP seperator. One being the DPP lnb and the DPP 625(or other DPP receiver). W/O these it will not work... or if it does, it won't for long.

Also diplexers are to be used in pairs, not by themselves. Diplexers are also not Dish equipment, therefore can not be replaced. Just FYI, I was told that once when calling.

Last edited:
splitter with DC blocking on one side, maybe.

diplexer, no way that would work. It filters out the satellite (high) frequencies on one side.

The DPP Separator is just a diplexer, but it operates on different frequencies than a normal diplexer. Therefore you can't use a normal diplexer as a DPP separator.

Normal Diplexer: separates TV from satellite band (54-806MHz and 950-2150MHz)

DPP Separator: separates satellite band from stacked satellite band (950-1450MHz and 1650-2150MHz)

Photo of early DPP Separator:
MVC-021S.JPG

Normal diplexer (note difference in frequency ranges):
D2200_Diplexer_Single.jpg

The DPP Separator is just a diplexer, but it operates on different frequencies than a normal diplexer. Therefore you can't use a normal diplexer as a DPP separator.

Normal Diplexer: separates TV from satellite band (54-806MHz and 950-2150MHz)

DPP Separator: separates satellite band from stacked satellite band (950-1450MHz and 1650-2150MHz)

Photo of early DPP Separator:
MVC-021S.JPG

Normal diplexer (note difference in frequency ranges):
D2200_Diplexer_Single.jpg
If it's a diplexer, please show the board where the in/out port is on a seperator.
Thanks.

Diplexers are also not Dish equipment, therefore can not be replaced. Just FYI, I was told that once when calling.
Pardon?
No offense, but you're mistaken. The Holland DPD2 most certainly is a Diplexer, furnished & supported by Dish Network for use with 722/622 & 222 model receivers configured for backfeeding a separate room.

The Holland DPD2 diplexer is both electrically as well as functionally identical to most competitive brand diplexers. Like its competitors it has a common "input" port, a power-passing "sat" port and a "VHF/UHF" port. The only difference I can see is the Holland appears to be slightly better quality.

The Holland DPD2 diplexer can be purchased for $1.99 each via the following link: Holland DPD2 2 Amp Satellite Diplexer - DPD2

you didn't answer the question. Where on the seperator is the in/out port?

I thought that was a rhetorical question.

Given that the innards are just passive filtering networks, exactly the same as a diplexer, there is no reason to think that the port labeled "input" couldn't also be used as an output were a DPP Separator used in reverse to combine 950-1450MHz and 1650-2150MHz bands onto the output (labeled "input").

What function do you think a DPP Separator is performing that is different than a diplexer used for separation, other than the difference in frequency of the two pass bands? BTW, I have a degree in electrical engineering. I take it that you do not.

It doesn't need an in/out port, just an in. Standard diplexers combine/separate the OTA and DBS bands and are used in pairs (the same diplexer, just turned around). For a DishPro Plus application, the Separator breaks out the regular DBS and DishPro stacked frequencies. Only one is needed, and it only has an input, because the combining is done by the DPP switch.

diplexer: A three-port frequency-dependent device that may be used as a separator or a combiner of signals.

Note the definition doesn't specify the frequency of the signals.

Why not just go to a dish retailer or ebay or stop an installer and buy a seperator for a couple of bucks?

Why not just go to a dish retailer or ebay or stop an installer and buy a seperator for a couple of bucks?

I have about 30-40 brand new ones sitting in my toolbox out in my garage... if you need one just send me a Private Message and I will mail you one

(If the person getting it sent me a buck or two to cover the postage I would be appreciative but it isn't 100% necessary to do so :) )

I thought that was a rhetorical question.

Given that the innards are just passive filtering networks, exactly the same as a diplexer, there is no reason to think that the port labeled "input" couldn't also be used as an output were a DPP Separator used in reverse to combine 950-1450MHz and 1650-2150MHz bands onto the output (labeled "input").

What function do you think a DPP Separator is performing that is different than a diplexer used for separation, other than the difference in frequency of the two pass bands? BTW, I have a degree in electrical engineering. I take it that you do not.

Doesn't really matter what I think It matters what I know. And I know that I will continue to use the proper equipment for my installs and for it's intended use. If you wish to tinker ,go right ahead. The book says don't do it because it won't work. ANd should it work,it be temporary. Perhaps I wil try it then you go out and cover the trouble call for me after it fails. Sheesh
I realize that using bubble gum, bailing wire and bisquick to come up with a better mousetrap is an ego thing with some people. So be it and God bless you.
My purpose in this discussion is to give the facts and technician point of view .
Final question: if a diplexer could be used in place of a seperator and vice versa, why would you want to? Would it not be simpler just to use the proper device for the application?
BTW I am not intrerested in your resume`..I have found that most who protest then have to give their credentials out to anyone who will listen have self worth issues. And how the hell do I know you're being truthful. I could tell you I am the prince of f**king darkness. Would you believe me? Of course not. So put your pecker back in your pocket. I really don't care. On that note, I think we're through commiunicating with each other. I am confident both our worlds will be much nicer without each others casual conversation. Have a nice life. You may now have the last word. Good bye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)