Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Welcome to SatelliteGuys and our Dish Network Retailer Chat Recap.

Due to technical issues I was unable to tune in live to the retailer chat yesterday, however I am able to view a reply of yesterdays chat.

I do apologize for the delay of getting this one up due to these technical issues.

Now here we go! (And like I do normally I am writing and recapping this in real time as I watch the replay.)

Jim and Tom welcome us to the chat. Jim tells us there is a lot of information to go over today and to pay attention to the chat.

They then put up a slate for what will be discussed today including a tease on new HD programming.

We are told they will spend a lot of time talking about upcoming price changes, package name changes and box name changes.

They then jump into talking about the Ciel II launch last week. Jim says that they have already started doing tests on the bird and all is going smoothly.

Video of the launch is shown.

Attachments

• dec1.jpg
    dec1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 731
  • dec2.jpg
    dec2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • dec3.jpg
    dec3.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 594
They mention that the hope the new satellite is put into use in the mid February time frame.

Jim then mentions that the satellite will be in place at the end of January and they will start transferring the load over to the new satellite then, however new programming will not be added to the satellite until Mid February.

Next they jump into talking about Team Summit which will be in Denver May 7th - May 9th.

We can skip all the team summit talk. :)

They then talk about HD Locals Launches and show a slide of 3 cities they launched last week.

Jim says they will announce some new markets on the next chat next month.

Now we move onto Eastern Arc.

Now all new customers who live in an Eastern Arc Market MUST be installed with a Dish 1000.4 and all MPEG4 equipment no matter if they are a SD or HD customer. However if a customer is getting DishLatino, Dish Mexico or foriegn language programming they should be installed on the Western Arc.

Attachments

• dec4.jpg
    dec4.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,463
  • dish5.jpg
    dish5.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,508
  • dish6.jpg
    dish6.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,068
  • dish7.jpg
    dish7.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • dish10.jpg
    dish10.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,428
  • dish9.jpg
    dish9.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,407
  • dish8.jpg
    dish8.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,378
Now onto new HD programming...

They talk about the Split of Golf Channel and Versus HD.

And thats the end of new HD programming news (not that its actually new HD) :(

Now onto promoting upcoming PPV movies and events.

First up is Batman The Dark Knight which will be available in 1080p.

Next up an ad for UFC: 92

Then a mention of the NBA League Pass...

Attachments

• dec11.jpg
    dec11.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,111
  • dec12.jpg
    dec12.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 802
  • dec13.jpg
    dec13.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 912
  • dec14.jpg
    dec14.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 832
  • dec15.jpg
    dec15.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 761
On to new International Channels.

Banglavision on channel 755 from 118.7
Ekhuehey Television on channel 750 from 118.7

Attachments

• dec18.jpg
    dec18.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 592
  • dec17.jpg
    dec17.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 545
  • dec16.jpg
    dec16.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 570
Next up is Q1 2009 Promotions... this is going to be the hot topic.. I can feel it in my blood.

New packages, new rates new receiver names...

We start with the new receiver names... (Who's dumb ass idea was this?) ALL current receivers are changing their names. (See the second slide below)

They mention that the new receiver names will go into effect on February 1st when the price changes happen. (I don't know if I were wanting a 722k as it offers dual off air tuning with the tuner cartridge and all I can order is a "Enhanced HD Duo DVR Receiver" and I just got a standard 722 I would be pissed. ;))

These new names will also make it hard for SatelliteGuys members to search for support on their equipment, as HD Duo Receiver is likely to get you a lot more hits (and garbage) then if you just typed in 222k receiver. Who ever thought of this amazing idea should be taken out behind the woodshed and... well you get the idea. :)

Next up is another amazing harebrained idea. renaming all the SD packages... (see slide 3 below)

For example, Americas Top 100 will now be known as "Classic Bronze 100", Americas Everything Pack will become the "Classic Americas Everything Pack."

Man its going to get busy behind that woodshed.

Now we go into price changes (i can feel another Woodshed comment coming up from your truly!)

They say these changes are nominal as programming becomes more expensive each year, and as margins get squeezed they make some nominal changes to the pricing of programming packages. (I think I hate the word Nominal)

Turbo HD is going UP

Turbo HD Bronze is going up $5 a month
Turbo HD Silver is going up $7 a month
Turbo HD Gold i s going up $10 a month

(No I am not kidding...) Jim says more HD services are coming which will make the price increase worth it.

There is NO CHANGE in the HD add on package which remains at $10 a month extra.

AT 100 going up $2
AT 200 going up $3
AT 250 going up $3
Americas Everything Pack going up $3

But get this... many of the Dish Latino packages with locals are going DOWN in price. (Dish Latino without locals however are going UP in price (see the slide below) essentially Locals will be included in the Dish Latino package for no extra charge...

Dish Latino Bonus pack remains the same.

Some big increases to the Dish DVR Advantage packages... anywhere from a $2 a month increase up to a $10 a month increase! (ouch!)

Note that starting on February 1st on your first dual tuner receiver there is no additional $5 a month fee if the box is not hooked up to a phone line or broadband, however the fee remains on all other dual tuners in the house if they are not hooked to a phoneline or broadband.

On Premium channels HBO and Playboy are going up $1 a month.

Some international programming packages are going up as well.

Additional Receiver fees are going down if you have DishDVR advantage (a savings of 98 cents a month)

The HD enabling fee is going down $2 a month from $7 to $5 a month.

And that's it for price changes.

Attachments

• dec29.jpg
    dec29.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 3,051
  • dec28.jpg
    dec28.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,284
  • dec27.jpg
    dec27.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 2,168
  • dec26.jpg
    dec26.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,651
  • dec25.jpg
    dec25.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 10,249
  • dec24.jpg
    dec24.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,553
  • dec23.jpg
    dec23.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,750
  • dec22.jpg
    dec22.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,853
  • dec21.jpg
    dec21.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,685
  • dec20.jpg
    dec20.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,925
  • dec34.jpg
    dec34.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,208
  • dec33.jpg
    dec33.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,948
  • dec32.jpg
    dec32.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,114
  • dec31.jpg
    dec31.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2,273
  • dec30.jpg
    dec30.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,369
  • dec35.jpg
    dec35.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,642
They move into talking about the Digital Transition

They move on to Phil Klein for a marketing update. He shows new print and tv ads. Shows some stuff advertising DishMEXICO

Phil wraps up and Jim and Tom tell us about opportunites for retailers to sell data and phone services.

With that they go to phone calls. No Tech Corner today with Leslie Haper today. :(

If any questions are interesting I will post them here, but for now this wraps up this recap.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!

How many more times are they gonna change the name of the packages? I was expecting the price increase in those TurboHD packages, if you want more HD channels then you'll have to pay.

Innovation by obfuscation. Confuse the bejeebus out of the customers so they can't figure out what's really going on. Another in a continuing string of dissapointments.

I was expecting the price increase in those TurboHD packages, if you want more HD channels then you'll have to pay.

I am fine with that, except there are no new HD channels yet!!! At least throw us a bone and tell us *something* concrete is coming and not just a screen with seemingly random channel logos, saying "maybe these can be yours..."

I am fine with that, except there are no new HD channels yet!!! At least throw us a bone and tell us *something* concrete is coming and not just a screen with seemingly random channel logos, saying "maybe these can be yours..."

They said mid February when the new satellite is functional. The price increase goes into effect on Feb. 1st so I think that's fair.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1630876-post3.html

I think everyone was expecting price increases. No big deal there, though it is more than would be expected. But to rename the actual receivers (you know the ones that already say what they are on the device) is just idiotic.

They're really just putting lipstick on a pig.

They said mid February when the new satellite is functional. The price increase goes into effect on Feb. 1st so I think that's fair.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1630876-post3.html

I wouldn't say its fair until we know what we are getting. 5 channels? 10 channels? 1 channel? More locals? A split of another channel (how great would it be if they split that eco channel into 2 channels? Since there are only two shows on it, we would have a dedicated 'Emeril Green' channel and that weird 'Tommy Lee vs. Ludacris' environment saving channel...)?

That is what I mean by concrete... Pushing up prices before delivering anything is a bad idea... Then having the audacity to tell us that it is to increase their margin? What about my margin? I am lucky enough to be able to afford it, but it still sucks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)