Holy crap - this is the FTA receiver I want

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was at an off track betting place last night with a buddy. They have a big window were you can look at all the equipment they have for pulling in the feeds. I saw stuff that looked similar to the receivers in the link. Probably not the same but I thought they looked interesting and wished I knew what all was going on in there.

wantogetstarted said:
I was at an off track betting place last night with a buddy. They have a big window were you can look at all the equipment they have for pulling in the feeds. I saw stuff that looked similar to the receivers in the link. Probably not the same but I thought they looked interesting and wished I knew what all was going on in there.

Nothing that mysterious in there...The gear is Commercial/Professional types....It all just spits out A/V Baseband/SDI or ASI distributed to the production room, then tossed to the Monitor locaitons...:up

This is probably off the subject but I wonder how you get a job setting that stuff up and then supporting it. That would be sweet!

This off track place had at least 5 satellites on the roof. Plus every gas station and chain restaurant around here has some type of satellite on it. There must be someone handling all of that.

Last edited:
wantogetstarted said:
This is probably off the subject but I wonder how you get a job setting that stuff up and then supporting it. That would be sweet!

This off track place had at least 5 satellites on the roof. Plus every gas station and chain restaurant around here has some type of satellite on it. There must be someone handling all of that.

It's not that hard if you have work experience..I used to run Sat Uplinks at Horse Tracks(90-94) and most places have different policies(Philly Park being one of them)...At the Track local, the production crew deals with the receive(from other Tracks during Simulcasting). The OTB sites were required to have their own Sat/Vid guy...If you know anyone who works there and have experience, then you would not have much of a problem...If you like Horse Racing, that is another plus...Myself, couldn't care less about Horse Racing...But was fun learning B-MAC inside and out then DC1...That was fun installing the Encoders on the trucks when nobody new or even heard of Digital Video....

Just give me another Digitrans 7150/Motorola 4800 or two, and I'll be set. No HD, but these are SWEET SD pro receivers. SDI out is useful if you work with broadcast gear, plus some variations of these models have ASI out as well.

We own the exact same model at work. We will soon be taking the NFL game of the week off the Sports USA Radio network. They use this protocol for all the games with different start times. Nice piece of equipment.

When they want $2k for a receiver, they'd better provide comprehensive documentation ;) Broadcasters and engineers won't accept anything less...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts