Home button on 54.0 remote goes to Menu.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sfrasher

Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Arizona
We got our new Dish Hopper 3 last week, after 23 years with DirecTV. The installer got everything working, and we turned him down for the sound bar since we already have one. He got the system working with the 54.0 remote and the Vizio TV.

I got a 2nd 54.0 remote online. It paired easily with the Hopper. The Vizio TV was a little more difficult, but not really bad. When I tried to pair with the Sharp sound bar, it couldn't find it. Now, my wife's remote paired easily with the sound bar, it is a Sharp/3734. My remote won't do it. I even tried to plug in the code manually and it wouldn't work. It just says that it can't find it.

Now, no matter what I do, when I push the "Home" button, it goes to "Menu". It is supposed to go there on the 2nd push, not the 1st. The 2nd push takes it to the diag screen. But in "Menu" mode, I go to "Settings", then "Remote control". It blinks a message in about 1/10th of a second and then just hangs on an empty screen. After about 20 times, I caught that the message says "Please wait...looking for remote control data". It never gets past that point. I push the "Back" button to escape from that window. It won't even go back to the TV section, not that I need to, but it wasn't an issue before.

I have reset the Hopper 3 twice. I have done the "push SAT until all 3 lights come on and then press and hold DVR/Guide until it beeps 3 times". Holding Home and Guide does the same thing, BTW. Then press the "Sys info" button on the Hopper, then the SAT button and it beeps the ascending beep. No help!

I have left the batteries out for 15 minutes while pushing the power button and it didn't help.
I have unpaired it manually in the Diagnostic window. I have actually used it to unpair itself, pushed SAT, and it repaired!

On the Diag page, the remote name changes periodically. The Model is "Unknown". The Hardware and Firmware boxes are blank. The battery is Good at 6 bars.

I went through the whole procedure with the nice people on the Dish Facebook page. They were awesome! The final result was when they gave me the phone number for Dish support. I have been trying to call them for the last 3 days! Their website AND phone system are down!

The remote is identical to the original (my wife's) except that the microphone button on hers is colored and mine is all white.
If I can push the "Menu" button and it actually goes to the menu, I can go further into remote.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea what to try, other than just waiting for them to get their equipment back online?

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
when you hit the home button, it’s supposed to go to menu. That’s what the home button is. Takes you to your main menu. You’re saying that when you hit it once it takes you to the settings page? Or whatever the pages with all the different icons on it

The deal with your sound bar, if you unpaired your remote, and then repaired it to the hopper, on the diagnostics page, meaning hit the home button three times, that should either fix the issue or allow you to pair it to your sound bar.

The only other thing is that you may have gotten a bad remote or it never installed the firmware that the remote installs from Hopper, wirelessly within the first few minutes that it gets paired

Everything I have read says that pushing the "Home" button once takes you to the "Home" screen, the one with your most used channels. The second time you push it, it goes to the "Menu", the one with the "Settings" button. The third time, it is supposed to go to the diag page, which is the second time for this remote. But for me, the first time goes straight to the Menu screen. To get to the Home screen, I have to arrow up, then left to get to the Home tab.

On the Menu screen, I click on "Settings", then "Remote control", and that is when it hangs up with a blank screen. It worked great when I paired the TV, but now it won't even go that far.

Everything I have read says that pushing the "Home" button once takes you to the "Home" screen, the one with your most used channels. The second time you push it, it goes to the "Menu", the one with the "Settings" button. The third time, it is supposed to go to the diag page, which is the second time for this remote. But for me, the first time goes straight to the Menu screen. To get to the Home screen, I have to arrow up, then left to get to the Home tab.

On the Menu screen, I click on "Settings", then "Remote control", and that is when it hangs up with a blank screen. It worked great when I paired the TV, but now it won't even go that far.
Umm, I know something to look at but I don't know how to describe it. I've seen this with the blank TV Brands in Remote Settings where, when you go to the Diagnostics page (Hitting home 2 times in your case) the info in the top right corner for the remote shows a lot of odd characters in the name. It needs to be renamed but I'm not sure how you'd do that with the blank screen in remote settings

Reactions: charlesrshell

Come on over. I have hundreds of them lol

We got our new Dish Hopper 3 last week, after 23 years with DirecTV. The installer got everything working, and we turned him down for the sound bar since we already have one. He got the system working with the 54.0 remote and the Vizio TV.

I got a 2nd 54.0 remote online. It paired easily with the Hopper. The Vizio TV was a little more difficult, but not really bad. When I tried to pair with the Sharp sound bar, it couldn't find it. Now, my wife's remote paired easily with the sound bar, it is a Sharp/3734. My remote won't do it. I even tried to plug in the code manually and it wouldn't work. It just says that it can't find it.

Now, no matter what I do, when I push the "Home" button, it goes to "Menu". It is supposed to go there on the 2nd push, not the 1st. The 2nd push takes it to the diag screen. But in "Menu" mode, I go to "Settings", then "Remote control". It blinks a message in about 1/10th of a second and then just hangs on an empty screen. After about 20 times, I caught that the message says "Please wait...looking for remote control data". It never gets past that point. I push the "Back" button to escape from that window. It won't even go back to the TV section, not that I need to, but it wasn't an issue before.

I have reset the Hopper 3 twice. I have done the "push SAT until all 3 lights come on and then press and hold DVR/Guide until it beeps 3 times". Holding Home and Guide does the same thing, BTW. Then press the "Sys info" button on the Hopper, then the SAT button and it beeps the ascending beep. No help!

I have left the batteries out for 15 minutes while pushing the power button and it didn't help.
I have unpaired it manually in the Diagnostic window. I have actually used it to unpair itself, pushed SAT, and it repaired!

On the Diag page, the remote name changes periodically. The Model is "Unknown". The Hardware and Firmware boxes are blank. The battery is Good at 6 bars.

I went through the whole procedure with the nice people on the Dish Facebook page. They were awesome! The final result was when they gave me the phone number for Dish support. I have been trying to call them for the last 3 days! Their website AND phone system are down!

The remote is identical to the original (my wife's) except that the microphone button on hers is colored and mine is all white.
If I can push the "Menu" button and it actually goes to the menu, I can go further into remote.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea what to try, other than just waiting for them to get their equipment back online?
Thanks to everyone who tried. I just want to wrap up this thread and report what has happened.

I never got the remote to work. DISH support has been down ever since I got the remote. I returned it to Amazon and got an exact replacement. Then I found out in Amazon reviews that it is a cheap Chinese knockoff! The biggest clue is that it does not say "Dish" on the bottom front. I got the new replacement yesterday and quickly found that the exact replacement has the same exact problem! It is going back today, and I ordered a real Dish remote, a 54.3.

So Dish support wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway, so this thread is done. BTW, the genuine working Dish branded remote is only $5 more than the cheap Chinese flawed knockoff.