Home from the hospital

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
After an 11 day staycation (4 stents) at 3 different facilities I'm finally back home. Unfortunately I have to go back in another couple of weeks for a 2nd procedure (a 5th stent) but hopefully that'll be an overnighter. Here's the only piece of advice I can give you, if you think it's just a really bad case of heartburn or stomach pain go to the ER anyway to be safe. I exhibited no normal heart attack symptoms, not one. In fact it was originally diagnosed as a hiatal hernia with possible ulcer and they scheduled me for an endoscopy. When it hit the 2nd time my enzymes finally went whacky and off on an adventure we went. After much consultation I was given options and after weighing all factors, such as up front risk, pain, recovery time, my age (80), etc I opted for stents over bypass.

You all probably know what bypass involves but might not have the full picture on the stents procedure. You lay on the table, they tape down your right arm, give you a relaxant via IV (but you are wide awake), and the catheter goes up your right arm. You do not feel anything. They wheel you back to your room and you eat lunch, stay overnight, and get discharged the next morning. The only dark cloud is hospital food, the 1st hospital was really good, the 2nd was awful, and the 3rd somewhere in between. I finally ended up ordering just cereal or a salad.

After an 11 day staycation (4 stents) at 3 different facilities I'm finally back home. Unfortunately I have to go back in another couple of weeks for a 2nd procedure (a 5th stent) but hopefully that'll be an overnighter. Here's the only piece of advice I can give you, if you think it's just a really bad case of heartburn or stomach pain go to the ER anyway to be safe. I exhibited no normal heart attack symptoms, not one. In fact it was originally diagnosed as a hiatal hernia with possible ulcer and they scheduled me for an endoscopy. When it hit the 2nd time my enzymes finally went whacky and off on an adventure we went. After much consultation I was given options and after weighing all factors, such as up front risk, pain, recovery time, my age (80), etc I opted for stents over bypass.

You all probably know what bypass involves but might not have the full picture on the stents procedure. You lay on the table, they tape down your right arm, give you a relaxant via IV (but you are wide awake), and the catheter goes up your right arm. You do not feel anything. They wheel you back to your room and you eat lunch, stay overnight, and get discharged the next morning. The only dark cloud is hospital food, the 1st hospital was really good, the 2nd was awful, and the 3rd somewhere in between. I finally ended up ordering just cereal or a salad.
Sounds like you have had quite an ordeal. Glad you were able to get treatment in time. Wishing you the best!

Glad to see you back and glad you are doing okay now for the most part!

OK, I'm going to trot my vocabulary out for a spin. Are your stents drug eluting?

Reactions: TheKrell
Here's an update, albeit a few days late. Two weeks ago tomorrow I got stent #5 and had my first rehab session today. With my knees I was lucky to make it through 6 minutes on the treadmill but it seemed to meet their criteria so everybody was happy. They want me to do every Monday and Friday for 16 sessions (8 weeks) but my knees will never go more than 6 minutes so I'm not sure there's a point to it. I'll give it next week and see how it all goes. I do better walking the flea markets.

Best of luck to you. I have two Abbot stents that were put in in 2014 and they've done well by me.

I was not lucky enough for stents to be a option. My blockages were too "blocked" for stents to work.

I was only 39 when they cracked me open for a double by-pass in 2004,

I was on a snowmobile a week later hitting the trails hard. Probably not a good idea but at the time I did not think I was long for the world and wanted to live life.

Everyone else I knew that had stents or by-pass said the felt way better after, like they were 18 again, not the case for me.

I hope you are feeling better for MANY years to come!
"

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts