home insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you who have a $500 deductible or even a $1000 deductible why? Some might say they can't afford to pay more then that if they have to make a claim. But the truth is your paying anyway with higher fees over the years. When you have that low of a deductible you're telling the insurance company that you will make a claim if you get any kind of chance to over that amount. That is a big mistake. Get a higher deductible.

Wow, I paid over $300,000 for my home and my insurance is not even close to that. You must have a low deductible or something.

There's tons of things that affect this. Like you said low deductible, there's also multiple things(car, boat, house, cabin, motorcycle, jetski, etc...)discount, or they have half as much coverage as you, no total replacement coverage.

It seems like every time people start talking about insurance someone else says they pay half as much as you and they say - Here's my insurance agent's phone number call my agent on Monday.

A townhouse burned down near me about a year ago. The association insurance paid to have the townhouse rebuilt but some of the people that owned units didn't have insurance to replace their inside posessions, or cover the mortgage payments while the townhouse was being bebuilt.

bhelms- Your PA rates are very close to what my Dad paid last year in PA. The rates are extremely cheap in PA...
...My home here in FL has an appraised value of $240,000. So, when I do the end of the day cost to live here, I take my high insurance rates over PA any time....
You're correct about the higher property taxes, but I'm not quite as bad off as your father was. My total school and C/M last year was around $2,500. Last time I had my house appraised was in '92 and it was around $150K then but that was before I added an addition. But our land values have increased substantially where I live (farmland converting to bedroom communities) and I have 13+ acres. (I guesstimate my overall property value now at $250K for planning purposes but that's moot as I don't intend to move anytime soon...What I have isn't much by many standards, but it's all mine!) Taxes like insurance are based on where you live. We apparently have a lower risk here vs. many areas that suffer wide-spread substantial loss on a more frequent basis so the causualy coverage is lower. But being a "blue state" we pay the higher taxes. Fortunately not as high as two that border us however!

There are a number of reasons I would prefer FL however, or points considerably more southern. The winter we just had coupled with my advancing age are two of them. Now if I could just transplant my house and 13 ac to somewhere near the 'glades...!

Status
Not open for further replies.