Home Media FLAC

baggins2

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Is anyone playing their flac files through the Home Media app? It loads the files but then states it cannot play the file. Thanks for any feedback.....

I use MediaMonkey for my media server and it transcodes my FLAC files on the fly to allow them to be played with the Home Media app.

Thanks, my Hopper 1 played flac files so I guess this means that the Hopper 3 won't play flac files? Does anyone know if Dish plans on being able to play FLAC in the future?

It does seem to depend on the server source for which files the H3 is able to play. I have a few MP4 videos that I stored on my PC and on a Thumb drive that is connected to my Netgear Nighthawk.
When the video is streamed from the PC through the built in Windows DLNA, it fails to play.
Streaming the same video from the Nighthawk, it plays just fine.

It does seem to depend on the server source for which files the H3 is able to play. I have a few MP4 videos that I stored on my PC and on a Thumb drive that is connected to my Netgear Nighthawk.
When the video is streamed from the PC through the built in Windows DLNA, it fails to play.
Streaming the same video from the Nighthawk, it plays just fine.
It most definitely depends on the media server. Different servers have different profiles that they use. If your sever does not recognize the unit (H3) that it is streaming to, it will select a generic profile. This generic profile may be trying to transcode the video or audio into a format that is not supported by the hopper 3. I use Emby Media Sever and am able to stream everything I can throw at it. Some play natively, some are transcoded. I had to setup a custom profile since Emby did not recognize the new H3 and 4k Joey. Once I added the identifier, they are recognized and play everything just as the HWS on the old interface did.

It most definitely depends on the media server. Different servers have different profiles that they use. If your sever does not recognize the unit (H3) that it is streaming to, it will select a generic profile. This generic profile may be trying to transcode the video or audio into a format that is not supported by the hopper 3. I use Emby Media Sever and am able to stream everything I can throw at it. Some play natively, some are transcoded. I had to setup a custom profile since Emby did not recognize the new H3 and 4k Joey. Once I added the identifier, they are recognized and play everything just as the HWS on the old interface did.
Hi would you mind sharing the DLNA profile details. My hopper plays mp3 files but not the flac files from my PC. I tried several different servers including emby, windows 10 and Kodi but have the same result. Of course I am using H2.

thanks in advance

First try to restart the hopper 3 or joey 4k that you are trying to use. On either my H3 or J4k they will work and play files ok right after a restart and for about 30 min to an hour after a restart then I get the wont play file type error on any file type I try to play. I have tried three different media servers and same results. Also do not try to FF much as that will make a file quit play and bring on the can't play file type error sooner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts