Home Media Mag e-book article

Yep. Saw that one. It's a fine line. But way too soon to be concerned. They're no doubt still gearing up, not even ready for mass adoption this year. I think sales might still grow up to triple over last year, keeping in mind last year's small base.

Things might heat up after 2/17/09.

Yeah, while I agree they are a tad high, I think $20-$25 is fair right now. Lets face it, the studios are in the dumps too with the economy and we'll either start seeing small budget movies, less movies or refusal to pay actors $20mil per movie(I hope for #3). I don't fault them for trying to make a buck.

What worries me is the player pricing, I'm not too impressed with the BD50 MSRP.

Well, its hard to take the author of this thing seriously since in the very first paragraph he demonstrates utter ignorance of the first HD DVD player, the HD-A1 which uses a BLUE laser not a red one. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/models/hd-a1/docs/hd-a1_spec.pdf
Im trying to figure out what that first HD DVD red laser machine was? Of course BD was superior because it uses a blue laser. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, its hard to take the author of this thing seriously since in the very first paragraph he demonstrates utter ignorance of the first HD DVD player, the HD-A1 which uses a BLUE laser not a red one. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/models/hd-a1/docs/hd-a1_spec.pdf
Im trying to figure out what that first HD DVD red laser machine was? Of course BD was superior because it uses a blue laser. :rolleyes:

Gee, Vurb, I thought you knew! And of course, the author, a person who is in the industry, works there every day and has years of experience, would know much less than you! :rolleyes:

As the author clearly stated, HD DVD started out as a red laser based product. In the design phase. This limited it so severely that the red laser was eventually dropped and the same blue laser diode the Blu-ray association uses was adopted. No red laser HD DVD product ever saw the market. The specs moved on. But the original hope was to use red lasers and cut corners even further.

This info has been posted before in this forum, by different people.

If you don't like such a harsh response, you might try not responding so harshly yourself.

Gee, Vurb, I thought you knew! And of course, the author, a person who is in the industry, works there every day and has years of experience, would know much less than you! :rolleyes:

As the author clearly stated, HD DVD started out as a red laser based product. In the design phase. This limited it so severely that the red laser was eventually dropped and the same blue laser diode the Blu-ray association uses was adopted. No red laser HD DVD product ever saw the market. The specs moved on. But the original hope was to use red lasers and cut corners even further.

This info has been posted before in this forum, by different people.

If you don't like such a harsh response, you might try not responding so harshly yourself.
AT no time did he state "in the design phase" and his comparison is the justification of higher BD movie pricing over HD DVD. He incorrectly uses red lasers in a context that is inappropriate for his arguement. Last time I checked BD players and movies didnt even exist until well after HD DVD launched commercially and at that time it was blue laser. His statement that higher BD movie prices were justified because of HD DVD red laser technology is ridiculous.That was never a reality. Then he jumps directly to post war pricing. :rolleyes:

"Souped up DVD"???? SOmeone should tell this moron writer that some of the BD movies use the exact same VC-1 versions of the HD DVD movies. :rolleyes:

No. I think most people, except for those deliberately trying interpret incorrectly, would understand. And Blu-ray started early and had a longer development cycle. New technology often does.

You might do better with less name calling. Especially since the person you're referring to is clearly far better qualified than you.

If you read it properly, the guy is regurgitating what people claimed (falsely) to make BD look better. I did not take as he was stating it as his opinion, but that of part of the industry.

Once again, lets get all sensitive because someone talked badly of the dead.

Do you have his resume? I thought he was just some moron publisher/editor/reporter like Bill Hunt. Im a little gun shy, cause if it backed a BD arguement many blubloods would consider my paper boy an industry insider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)