Home plug

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
I have a home plug system. I have one hooked into my router. I thought I read that the 722 has a feature where you don't need to use the second one to get it online. How do you do that if I'm right? Does a surge protector keep it from connecting?

Yes, it stops the connection. You have to have a HomePlug certified surge protector, and there's usually only one port through which the HomePlug can pass.

no $ discount for connection unless you need remote access why bother?

I have 2 722ks sitting next to one another, did the find one another on power line thing. They loose one another constantly. Just one is plugged into internet

To the OP....the home plug setup for your receiver couldn't be easier if you've already got a functioning homeplug module on your router. Just plug the AC cable from your receiver directly into a wall outlet (or homeplug approved port of the afore mentioned homeplug approved surge protector) and bring up your receiver's installation menu. Navigate to "broadband setup" and test the connection.

I use the Sling homeplug devices- which go for $89/pair at most retailers. They have worked flawlessly for me in several installations....including my own home - and they seem to be about the best deal around.

TimR><>

I have this product: The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

Sling Link Eithernet Adaptor $32.00

Just need one of these adaptors and works directly into the box. No need for a second, third, or fourth. Just buy one, plug it in and you are SET! Been going good for over a year now!

I've found, even though a surge protector is rated or not rated... just to plug each box into the wall, as well as the ethernet adaptor. I had all kinds of problems but I concluded that this is the solution.

Last edited:
I'm running into a little problem. My receiver (722) now has all zeros for ip address, mac address etc. I tried to run the reset network setting still nothing. It's in the same outlet that I did have the other home plug. The home plug I bought came with 2 plugs. I have one near the router and the other I was using for the 722 but I need it for a computer right now so I wanted to use the home plug feature for the receiver. Is there something I'm missing? Would the other home plug keep the receiver from working?

Note that if you don't have any 220VAC appliances (forced air furnace, electric dryer, etc.), the adapter may have a tough time making the trip between AC legs..

Interesting note about the 220 appliances.
It was something I read about in a HomePlug white paper in answer to how the two legs were bridged. Specifically, the article mentioned transformers in 220VAC appliances as the bridgers of the gap. Other inductors could be carefully placed if that wasn't enough.

Be careful to get compatible Homeplug devices. I *believe* the homeplug implementation in my 722 is the older (slower) standard than the current 200Mbs devices. I'm pretty sure there is no compatibility across standards.

I have two 200 Mbs homeplug endpoints in my house; one at my router, one behind the TV. My 722 and PS3 plug into it, and it works great. The wireless is too weak in that corner of the house for a reliable connection, and is significantly slower.

Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)