Home Theater Geeks 151: Wireless Audio That Works!

I was skeptical about the wireless audio until I saw a WiSA demonstration at the Home Theater Cruise last year by Jim Venable. Personally I still don't see any need to go with wireless speakers, but for those who do need this - WiSA is the way to go!

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

I actually got the speakers that were demonstrated on the Home Theater Cruise and they sound amazing. In face they could be the best sounding surround system I have ever used.

The downside is while they are wireless they are not really wireless as each speaker needs to be plugged into 110 outlets. That's 4 plugs just for the front speakers and subwoofer and then I needed to run extension cords for the rear speakers since my living room only has two outlets. (House was built 1932).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

OK, the scoop is that these speakers use the new 5.3 GHz band, but 'new' is a relative term. There have been wireless routers out that use 5.3 for 5 years now, and usage is increasing. The saving grace is that there is more spectrum available in this band than there was at 2.4 GHz, but it is not a silver bullet in the long run. The myriad wireless devices coming out will fill this band in the next 5-10 years much the same way that 2.4 filled.

My advice is to use wired connections wherever possible, and make sure that any wireless solution has fast hopping narrow band xmit AND receive that is adaptive to lock out other frequencies which are in use.