Home theater receiver advice

BruceE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I am looking to upgrade my home theater receiver . Here are the receivers I am looking at. Has anyone used any of these receivers and how good are they.

!.Sony STR-DG920

2. Denon AVR1709

3. Onkyo TXSR606

4. Yamaha RX-V 663

Thank for any info & your help.

BruceE

How many HDMI inputs would you need? Now or in the near future? This may become a significant factor in your decision.
For example, Yamaha RX-V 663, as I understand, has only 2 inputs. That would be a definite no-go for me.
In comparison, the Onkyo has 4!

From my personal experience (Onkyo 605) and my current research, Id go 606 or Denon 1090(first choice). Both internally decode HD audio and have 3 HDMI inputs. By all my research, the consensus seems to state the 1909 is a better unit.

If you dont need internal decoding, then the 1709 would be fine.

The 606 is th ehottest budget receiver out at the moment. My neighbor replaced an older Yamaha and loves it. It made his Bose speakers sound better;)

Onkyo 606 does have 4 hdmi inputs.

I'd recommend the onkyo for a good price/performance receiver. Denon otherwise. Yamaha has nice stuff, but the one listed is getting a bit dated in features (only 2 HDMI inputs, etc)

Doesn't the Denon 1709 require seperate audio connections since it's HDMI switching is video only? So I would do the 1909 instead of the 1709

I just bought all in one system ... Onkyo HTB-S7100 about $620 in amazon
I love the system with BIG & powerful sound. two main speakers comes with stand. A lot power for large size living room .powerful ,clean sound and deal! U cant go wrong with that.

That's why I recommended the Denon 789 for 599.

S~

I was wondering if the audio was the reason you recommened what you did. Hope the OP realizes the Denon they listed has that limitation and go with some other model that will be better suited to their needs.

I've had the Yamaha 663 since June and am very happy with it. Two HDMI inputs are plenty for me as I can't imagine having more than two components that will output HD audio. In fact I'm currently using only one for my PS3 (my TV has four HDMI inputs anyway). I couldn't be more pleased with the sound it outputs and with a little digging it can be had for about the same price as the Onkyo 606. I also like how cool it runs, which was the main thing that pushed me in the direction of the Yamaha over the Onkyo 606.

IMHO the Denon has the best build quality, closely followed by the Onkyo and Yamaha. Sony is a bit behind with a few issues over time.

Beyond that, I would currently look for the following features in rough order:

- HDMI audio decoding (not just video switching)

- Upconversion of analog inputs to HDMI output (this allows you to do all switching in the receiver, and just let the TV be a TV)

- More HDMI inputs (at least 4. You always run out over time and today's needs are sat receiver/cable box, BluRay, Game machine, etc)

- 5.1 channel analog audio inputs.

- Audessey automatic level calibration

- Individual level adjustment for each input. This allows you to balance and not get blasted when switching from DISH to BluRay.

- Sufficient power to allow you to run it at low volume levels. High volume=distortion.

The rest is gravy.

Never been a fan of Sony receivers, if that's any help. I've had Harmon Kardons my whole life and love them. I am on the verge of getting a Denon 1909 though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts