Home theater recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I'm in the market for a new home theater system and am looking for some recommendations or helpful advice. I have a few requirements for my new system and was wondering if anyone has a system that would satisfy them that they could tell me about.

Requirements:
1. Wireless rear speakers
2. If unit includes DVD player, 2 S-Video & 2 Optical audio inputs; if unit doesn't include DVD player 3 S-Video inputs & 3 Optical audio inputs
3. AM/FM tuner
4. At least 5.1

Thanks

Low end? or High... Myself, my hearing is not what it was so I Have lower end stuff (do not knit pick on total harmonic distortion etc..) I have a Jvc Reciever in my Ht room and A RCA in my living room both over 100 watts and with powered subs(200)

I don't really know much about home theater equipment so I would guess low end. I'm trying to stay under $400 or $500. But, with that said, I want this setup to last me a while.

I can vouch for anything Sony makes.

I have a close to 4 year old Sony A/V receiver that I paid I believe $150 for. It only has 1 optical and 1 digital coax, but 3 years ago that was considered good.

It's replacement today (one I would like to get) has 3 optical and 1 digital coax for about $200 for the receiver alone.

The sound quality on it though is very nice. It sounds high end yet is very affordable.

The RCA in my livingroom is the 3rd one I have had (blew up the rest) I was overdriving them into my old Jbl bookshelf speakers, I replaced with small ht Rca speakers and surprisingly still have good sound. I bought a matched speaker set for the Ht room and a jvc receiver (it was a bedrooom) so I do not need to crank it up like my livingroom. Need to get switch's now as both only have single optical inputs as well as coax... and with the 921 in the livingroom I had to unhook from the dvd. And in the Ht room with my 6000u only using 2.0 as I won't unhook my dvd player in there unless hd net has something really good on :)

WakeBdr said:
I don't really know much about home theater equipment so I would guess low end. I'm trying to stay under $400 or $500. But, with that said, I want this setup to last me a while.
I'm not a real fan of HTIB sets & $400 to $500 won't get you much in 5 speakers, sub, receiver & DVD player. If you could make payments, here's a killer example of a HTIB for list right under $1000.........

Panasonic SC-HT1500

Barney ;)

That's a very nice system, but it doesn't have wireless rear speakers. That is an absolute must for me.

You no way, no how want wireless speakers or a all-in-one in HT box for a high quality home theater. Maybe for a patio or office sound where crappy sound MIGHT be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts