Homegrown Tomatoes! Any one else gardening this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampatterson

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Marietta, GA
Just picked 9 giant tomatoes last night from our garden - we ate 5 of them sliced, with salt and pepper with Dinner. They were great.

Any other amateur (or professional ;) ) gardeners out there?

This year we have tomatoes, squash (yellow and zuchini), egg plant, cilantro, habanero, Jalapeno, and tabasco peppers, and all the various herbs.

Gardening is a great stress reliever.

I have grown tomatoes for several years now (the main plant I have in the garden) and it tastes a bit better than in the grocery stores and a lot cheaper too. They want as much as 30-50 cents a tomato around here if you had to buy them from the grocer.

I also grow a lot of onions with the green tops. They grow fast, do well, and are easy to maintain and plant. Also have cucumbers, lettuce, bell and hot peppers.

Got a few this year myself. I grew up down the road a piece in Hanover, VA we used to grow "Hanover" tomatoes every year. I plant the same thing here up the road, they just dont taste as good as they did back home though....I guess nothing ever does.

My mouth is watering. The only thing I have home grown is dandelions, no time for gardening (or the space or the soil, or the green thumb). A buddy keeps me supplied though, he has a huge garden.

The cucumbers are really taking off now over the past week or so. They grow faster than I thought they did. The tomatoes seem to be doing well too. The carrots must have been planted too deep as they took a bit longer to come up. Onions always does well.

I have been wanting to grow watermelons but need to know how to make them grow big. I tried the last few years but must have gotten too late of a start as they were small but not that big before the end of the growing season. They must need a lot of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts