Homemade Dish 500

Turd Fergeson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
River Falls, Al
I was looking through my dads barn today and found 15 primestar dishes still in the boxes! They measure 1 meter (39 1/2") across and 30 inches tall. I'm too embarrassed to tell you guys why he has them, he didn't steal them or anything. It is just one of the most red-necked things I have ever heard and I live in south Alabama. Anyway what I would like to do is turn one into a dish 500 and have another pointed at 129 (nlos at 61.5). Has any one ever tried to make a dish 500 out of a primestar dish and if so how far apart did you mount the lnb's? I can go out and figure it with trial and error but a little info up front might help save some time.

Thanks,
Turd

Turd Fergeson said:
I was looking through my dads barn today and found 15 primestar dishes still in the boxes! They measure 1 meter (39 1/2") across and 30 inches tall. I'm too embarrassed to tell you guys why he has them, he didn't steal them or anything. It is just one of the most red-necked things I have ever heard and I live in south Alabama. Anyway what I would like to do is turn one into a dish 500 and have another pointed at 129 (nlos at 61.5). Has any one ever tried to make a dish 500 out of a primestar dish and if so how far apart did you mount the lnb's? I can go out and figure it with trial and error but a little info up front might help save some time.

Thanks,
Turd
I re-finished a 75 model and rigged it for DP Dual lnb, this to replace a 500, but I still need to get a larger pole to sink in concrete, waiting for cooler weather. I was told by a local Dish installer that it won't work, but the larger ones like yours will work. There is a guy up in Wa. who has all the plans for one that he did, said it gets much better signal on 129. I will try to find this mod if you would like.

Last edited:
The 129 Is no problem, one lnb. The dish 500 mod is what I need the info on. How did you make the 500 work? Did you use a twin or two singles? I was under the impression that the further the lnb was from the reflector the further apart the lnb's had to be.

Turd Fergeson said:
The 129 Is no problem, one lnb. The dish 500 mod is what I need the info on. How did you make the 500 work? Did you use a twin or two singles? I was under the impression that the further the lnb was from the reflector the further apart the lnb's had to be.
I bought an arm conversion thingy from Dishstore and put a DP dual (single lnb) on it, I had a DP twin on it before. This helped the signal a few points.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/70 Try this site for more info.
I think I misunderstood you, do you want to put a DPtwin on Primstar so you can get 2 sats?

Last edited:
Turd Fergeson said:

Thanks,
Turd

You might try your question in the FTA forum as lots of members have made contraptions with multi-lnb's including primestar dishes.

Well you would definitely have issues with the skew, I think those things can't be tilted. You would have to come up with some sort of mount that had one LNB considerably higher than the other.

Since you have so many, why not just point one at 119 and another at 110?

Here you go. My dad has a friend who has some "fighting roosters" or game cocks, what ever you want to call them. The guy can't keep them in the same pin because they will fight and kill each other. So the guy had them tied by the ankle on one end and to a stake on the other. They were just out in this guys backyard in the sun and rain with no cover. So my dad and his friend were riding through town and saw the dishes being thrown away back when primestar was shutting down. so they went back and asked if they could have them. The guy said sure and they got 4 truck loads of these things. They took them home and used the reflectors as a roof for the fighting roosters. Now tell me that isn't the most red-necked thing you have ever heard a dish used for.

A little different, but not rednecks.

I'm from LA (1 of 2 states that legalizes cock fights), and the guy next door raises roosters, maybe I could sell him some dishes.

If one is to sell them on ebay you have to make sure that you charge extra to allow yourself the oversize fee that the carriers charge. It can add up quick. Also you have to allow yourself money for the packaging. I talked to UPS about it and they want over $20 just to use their packaging.

Stargazer said:
If one is to sell them on ebay you have to make sure that you charge extra to allow yourself the oversize fee that the carriers charge. It can add up quick. Also you have to allow yourself money for the packaging. I talked to UPS about it and they want over $20 just to use their packaging.

No doubt UPS BROWN, they are indenpendent UPS resellers! UPS corporate bought bought the packing stores and rebranded them UPS BROWN.

Not only do they charge a fortune for packing stuff but they mark up UPS shipping $ too generally by 30 to 40%:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts