508 zapped by lightening

yooper.mi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 24, 2004
U.P. of MI
All three of my 508 and 2 computer modems were zapped Sunday moring in the worse thunder storm that I can remember.
Called tech support last night, I have the old extended warrenty and was told this phone line surge was not covered. I would have to upgrade to DHPP 5.99 otherwise I'd have to pay for replacement receivers. Told her I'll think about it. The recievers work great except for the phone line connection.
I called this moring got a gal from overseas somewhere talking about grounding dish system and phone line ground. Sending someone to trouble shoot.
I put the system in when the installer couldn"t aim a dish 500 and tried to rip me off by wanting to do a pole mount for extra $. He left leaving the wires hanging to the ground, saying he'll be back in two weeks. I got mad hooked it myself and NEVER had an installer again.
Oh well venting helped
thanks

just to give you heads up. lightning is act of nature and it is not cover by any kind of warranty . Another problem you might have is the tech wont have 508's with him because dish discontinued using them, so you might have to do R/A through call center. My recommendation call local office and check with them

Signed up for DHPP, they are sending the first 508 today. I have to do one at a time. We'll see if there are any surprises along the way.

Yesterday my third receiver was authorized( they only ship one at time) It was the fastest of the auhtorization taking about 40 min.
The second authorization took better then an hour and half, 3 csr's and 2 phone calls. The portable phone battery went dead result was second call. CSR claimed I too many receivers on my account, I have three 508 that I'm using. They said I had seven and can't authorize #2 box till they remove some from my acc't. Told them I had three receivers. They are telling me I have 4900's, 2800's and did I return them, where are they? I told them I owned them and they are on a shelf in the garage. After removing all old receivers we started a switch check and signal strenght on several transponders on both 119 & 110. STRANGE
Now if they log the returned receivers in right to my acc't, we should be done with dishnetwork for awhile.

Last edited:
i really hope you keep this warranty. i use it more than i ever thought. and i feel it would be pretty sh!tty to turn it off after they spent the money to ship and exchange the boxes at no cast to you! by the way you now have full coverage wires switches and dishes included!

Dish requires a phone hookup, a built in surge protector would be a good thing. Also a slide in modem would work shipping would be much cheaper, sending a comlete receiver in for a modem isn't cost effective.
Don't know what I'll do about DHPP, I know I lost the old 1.99 extended warranty. Been a long time customer wiith E* but doesn't seem to cut any breaks.
I guess customer loyality doesn't mean as much as it once did.
And we still don,t have LOCAL NETWORKS and soon to loose DNS the only networks available to us.

Last edited:
the $2 was for the receiver only. right? for $3 more they cover everything! i think its a good deal. a receiver casts at least $100 right? if you replace one receiver every two years its paying for itself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts