Homemade Pickles with a Kick!

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
The neighbor came over with a bag full of mini cucumbers. After much though, I decided they'd be perfect for some homemade pickles!

Now, let me preface this recipe by saying that I've never been a huge pickle fan. They've always been too picky, too sour, and I never liked the squishy texture and the lime green juice they sat in. That was until I went to a few finer deli's where I grew the courage to eat some of their homemade pickles. Oh my, have I changed my tune! These pickles actually tasted like cucumbers, not some funky hybrid, but with flavors of garlic, fresh dill, salt, pepper and with a nice crunch! I had to recreate this dish and I think I've come close, but with my own twist......

Ingredients

• 1.2 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 gallon filtered water
  • 1-3 pounds pickling cucumbers, 4 to 6-inches long
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon dill seed
  • 1 large bunch of fresh dill
Directions

Combine the salt and water in a pitcher and stir until the salt has dissolved.

Rinse the cucumbers thoroughly and set aside.

Place the peppercorns, pepper flakes, garlic, dill seed and fresh dill into a crock. Add the cucumbers to the crock on top of the aromatics. Pour the brine mixture over the cucumbers in order to completely cover. Place a few small saucer dishes to weigh down the cucumbers so they stay completely submerged. Set in a cool, dry place. (I covered loosely with a kitchen towel and put in my basement).

Check the crock after 3 days. Fermentation has begun if you see bubbles rising to the top of the crock. After this, check the crock daily and skim off any scum that forms.

The fermentation is complete when the pickles taste sour and the bubbles have stopped rising; this should take approximately 6 to 7 days. Once this happens, drain the water, rinse pickles and recreate the liquid recipe and cover the pickles and store in a airtight container, but this time, keep cool in the fridge. Store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. If the pickles should become soft or begin to take on an off odor, this is a sign of spoilage and they should be discarded.

Thoughts

This takes time and patience, but the end result is quite satisfying. These pickles have quite a kick and are a bit spicy. The garlic, salt and fresh dill are all apparent in these pickles. If you like heat on your food, this recipe is a must. If not, just subtract the crushed reds from the ingredients. Personally, I think the heat gives it a nice touch.....

Attachments

• CIMG2206.JPG
    CIMG2206.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 277

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts