Homeplug question.

getstuff4less

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
CA
Hello, I am new to homeplugs and have this question. Do I need two or three of these? I have two 722s and want get rid of the phone line charge. I have a DSL router/modem.

Because the electrical wiring on each home is different, it's difficult to answer the question. I would go with one at first, connect it to the router and since the 722 receivers have homeplug built-in you may not need another two. If your receivers do not get the IP address, then you'll need to buy one for each receiver.

Plug it directly to the wall and test. Power surge protectors and UPS devices can block homeplug to the network. Another thing I found out is that you also want the receivers plugged in directly to the wall for this to work.

So I plug the router cable into the homeplug, which the goes into an electrical socket. Then I plug an ethernet cable to the back of a 722. What do I do with the other end on each?

If you can provide an Ethernet wired connection from your DSL router to one of the 722s you don't need any extra Home Plug devices the 722 will serve up to sixteen devices on the built in Home Plug. Connect directly to the outlet,only Home Plug power strips will pass the signal,Under installation menu visit DishCOMM and test to see if the 722s see each other.:)

Also visit Broadband connection screen, If you get an IP address you are good to go.

Last edited:
So I plug the router cable into the homeplug, which the goes into an electrical socket. Then I plug an ethernet cable to the back of a 722. What do I do with the other end on each?

Don't need an Ethernet cable on the 722 units,data goes over the house power wires.

Visit DishCOMM under the installation menu,it should list three devices,2-722 receivers and the HomePlug device connected to your router.Also visit Broadband setup menu to see IP address.

Last edited:
theres no longer a discount for having phone line or internet connected, so why bother?

I unplugged mine

Video on Demand is why most folks do it.:)

Future interactive features like Google TV and others will likely use this connection.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)