Sling or 922?

chrisb83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I've been reading posts and reviews and it sounds like the 922 isn't so hot. Is it rue that you have to go to dish's web site to view sling. Why wouldn't you just get sling separate and hook it up. So the question is , should I purchase a 922 or sling by itself? Thanks

Both have their pro's and cons.

The setup on sling is a pain having to go in your router and open up ports, where as the sling on the 922 is easy.

You might have to login at dishnetwork.com, but there is no software to download either.

I bought the 922 to be a good DVR now, and a great networked device over the next year. People have reported some bugs (fortunately I haven't been on the receiving end of most of them), and I assume those will get fixed - they just look like young software.

I don't think the Sling portion of the 922 is quite ready for prime time - there are issues with respect to the 922's visibility on the net, and some browser issues - but again, I assume that Dish and Sling have a vested interest in fixing them.

Where I really get excited about the 922 is a bit off topic of your question, but I think that Netflix, Hulu integration and Google TV, along with a (hopefully) matured Sling functionality will make it a killer platform for the next couple of years.

So I'll come back to your question - based on my limited experience, and what I've read, I think getting the 922 is a function of 1) do you think that Dish/Sling will get the Sling functionality solid in your timeframe, and 2) do other features or futures potentially trump that for you?

I'm something of an optimist on both fronts. Part of that may come from recent release from Comcast chains.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
I think the 922 it worth it just based on the new user interface and the DVR abilities. Awesome receiver that will only get better in my mind.

Like scdown, I've been fortunate not to run into many bugs at all. 922 is very stable for me (knock on wood). I really think that over the course of this year, this box will be incredible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)