Homeplug question

dhuston99

Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
florida
I am moving into a new home this week so I figured I would get my 722 connected to the internet. Going to buy a homeplug kit since I am going to have to put my modem in a different room than where my main pc will be. Was thinking about using the homeplug from the modem to the router for my main PC. I know that i can just plug the 722 into the wall and it should connect to the homeplug but will that mess up my connection from the moden to the router? Please help?

Yes.
Most ISPs only provide for ONE connection (IP address) unless you pay for additional.

So, the router or the homeplug would grab the ip address from the modem and the other device wouldnt be able to get an ip? Is that correct?

My problem is that there is no phone line in the room that I will be placing my office in and I dont want to run one in this house since it is a rental. My office pc doesnt have a wireless card so i need to connect it directly to my wireless n router. Will probably still use the homeplug to get the modem signal to the router and just deal with the 722 later. Unless anyone has any better ideas!

Yes that is what could happen. A possible solution would be to connect the router directly to the modem and then use the homeplug from the router to the computer. eveyhing should work that way.

NO

you will get, from you internat provider, a modem and a router. the router will have at least 4 'wired' ports and possibily wireless too. you will need to purchase ONE sling link or homeplug adapter. you plug it into the wall. you will plug a cable from one of the unused ports on the router, into the port on the adapter. you will go to broadband on the 722 and setup the connection. enjoy.

your internet provider has NO normal way of knowing that you have done this. unless you tell them. and they really don't care either.

the reason is, the 'router' makes all of the connections on your side of it look like one connection on the other side. that is it's job.

am i oversimplifying things a little, YES if you need more details. there might be a better forum for that.

NO

you will get, from you internat provider, a modem and a router. the router will have at least 4 'wired' ports and possibily wireless too. you will need to purchase ONE sling link or homeplug adapter. you plug it into the wall. you will plug a cable from one of the unused ports on the router, into the port on the adapter. you will go to broadband on the 722 and setup the connection. enjoy.

your internet provider has NO normal way of knowing that you have done this. unless you tell them. and they really don't care either.

the reason is, the 'router' makes all of the connections on your side of it look like one connection on the other side. that is it's job.

am i oversimplifying things a little, YES if you need more details. there might be a better forum for that.

I was going to use the phone line wireless connection but instead i'm using a wirless gaming adapter. It's a linksys wga600n and it works great. might cost more than your way but i don't know for sure.

Ron

pabeader & ron, you are both missing the key point that the OP gave in his second post. he needs to get the internet to his PC which will not be in the same room as his internet connectionn & his pc doesn't have wire card so he his trying to figure how to get homeplug to work. his receiver then could connect as a bonus.

pabeader & ron, you are both missing the key point that the OP gave in his second post. he needs to get the internet to his PC which will not be in the same room as his internet connectionn & his pc doesn't have wire card so he his trying to figure how to get homeplug to work. his receiver then could connect as a bonus.

No i didn't. if he used what isuggeted minus the increased price he could have connected his stb to the net.

no we got it right. what he said makes no sense on it's face so we reinterpreted it in a way that makes sense and then answered that.

he wants to hookup his PC to internet
modem (phoneline) is NOT in room he is setting up as office. and doesn't want to run a line to the room as he is renting.
he wants to use homeplug between modem and router. and wanted to know if that would also allow the receiver to connect
what he needs to do is connect router direct to modem and connect homeplug between router and his office PC.
as a side benafit of the homeplug to his PC his receiver will also get connected.
DO YOU UNDERSTAAND NOW?

Last edited:
he wants to hookup his PC to internet
modem (phoneline) is NOT in room he is setting up as office. and doesn't want to run a line to the room as he is renting.
he wants to use homeplug between modem and router. and wanted to know if that would also allow the receiver to connect
what he needs to do is connect router direct to modem and connect homeplug between router and his office PC.
as a side benafit of the homeplug to his PC his receiver will also get connected.
DO YOU UNDERSTAAND NOW?

might i ask why the modem isn't in the same room as router? isn't that the normal way to do it? out of modem into router. wired pc into a port and every other pc in house is wireless/

now your starting to catch on
he doesn't ahve wireles (the easiest and best would be if he did) for hiss office pc so he wanted to plug the pc direct into the router but us homeplug so the router would be in the same room as pc. which wont work because the vip receiver would also be trying to use the homeplug and only one of the two would be able to get an IP number from the isp.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Please tell me if this will work. Netgear 4 port homeplug (XEB1004) in the office which I will plug in my pc and network printer and the other end connected to router in a different room and 722 connected through outlet in bedroom (no homeplug needed as it is built in?)

Also, does my office and bedroom have to be on the same circuit breaker?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts