Hooking up 721

cgtempest

Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I just bought a 721. My house is pre-wired with cable from a central box, with one cable into each room. Is there a way to hook up the 721 and both its receivers without having to pull a second cable into the room I want to install it in?

I am lost reading the posts concerning the DP separators and DP+??

TIA

I added a DPP44 switch so that I could run a 721 with one cable. Works great, but not the cheapest way to go.
In my case I have a 921 running with one cable also.
Since the DPP44 switch is DishPro, the LNBs must be DishPro also which adds to the cost if they aren't already.
So far, the 721 will not work with one cable from the DPP LNB so that won't be an option for you now.
It really isn't confusing. There are four inputs to the DPP switch, use as many as needed from your LNB(s). There are four outputs. Connect one output to the cable to where your 721 will be. Connect a separator to that cable and then connect two short cables from the separator to the two inputs to the 721.
The DishStore has all the parts you will need.

I hope all your cables are RG6.

Ok, it is like a DP34 switch? I was looking at bringing in two lines from my dish pro quad, and use a DP34 in my box, then in my entertainment center a second to give me 4 outputs there. I am still going to have to bring in a second line to the entertainment center in this case. Is there any advantage to the DP44 in that case?

Where does the "separator" go? Is it to allow you to just bring in a single RG6 from the LNB in the first place to feed into the DP44?

If you are going to run a second line to your entertainment center anyway, then I can't see any advantage to using a DPP44 anywhere in your system and one disadvantage. The DPP44 requires a power inserter and the DB34(s) do not.

I just remembered an advantage to the DPP44. It will drive 'legacy' receivers without an adapter. The DP34 will not.

I went with the DPP44 as I didn't want to add even more cables when I got the 921 and also it gives me the option of easily adding another Dish for 61.5 if I want to add the VOOM programming. I now have a Dish500 with a DP twin LNB feeding two inputs of the 44 and another dish pointing at 148 feeding the third input. This leave an open input for another dish.

My DPP44 mounted under the eaves feeds two DP34s mounted inside the garage so I have plenty of potential outputs to use.

Hope I have been of some help

The DP34 has 3 inputs and outputs for 4 tuners. Each dual-tuner receiver would take 2 outputs. The DPP44 (the 2nd P is for Plus) has 4 inputs and outputs for 4 receivers. If each is a dual-tuner receiver that would be 8 tuners.

The DPP Separator goes at the back of the receiver. It lets you hook up a dual-tuner receiver using a single run of RG6 from a DP Plus switch. Each switch in a trunking chain needs a separate input for each satellite.

How many receivers do you have, and in what rooms?

Thanks for all the replies. I have a 510, 721, and an 811. My goal is to have the 811 and 721 in my entertainment center (family room), to use on my HD big screen. I will put the 510 up in the bed room.

As mentioned, this house was wired for cable and also LAN during construction, with RG-6 to all rooms (single line). I apparently need a second RG-6 into the family room regardless as I will have "3 tuners" there. From what has been suggested, I can use a DP-34 at the box, feed two RG-6 to the family room and a RG-6 to the bedroom. Then add a DP-34 into the entertainment center to run the 810 and the 721?

I currently have only the dish 500 mounted, with a DP Quad LNB. I understand that there is a new HD CBS channel available, but that it requires another dish to hit a third sat? I have never gotten beyond a single dish as my previous home had no line of sight for any other satellites. I have clear sky here so I can point at any available satellites.

If I am on track with my in house wiring now, I would appreciate any thoughts on what I should be adding to improve my HD channels.

Thanks again, the advice has been greatly appreciated.

Bob in Suffolk

cgtempest said:
From what has been suggested, I can use a DP-34 at the box, feed two RG-6 to the family room and a RG-6 to the bedroom. Then add a DP-34 into the entertainment center to run the 810 and the 721?
That will work though you probably don't need a DP34 in your distribution box. Run 1 line from the DP Quad through the box then on to the 510. Run 2 more lines from the DP Quad through the box then on to the family room where you will have a DP34.
I currently have only the dish 500 mounted, with a DP Quad LNB. I understand that there is a new HD CBS channel available, but that it requires another dish to hit a third sat?
CBS-HD is available from 148 or 61.5 if you qualify. Voom is available from 61.5. If you add the dish you will then need a 3rd line from that dish through the box to the family room. Or put a DPP44 in the distribution box and run just 2 lines to the family room. That gives you flexibility to put a dual-tuner receiver in any room.

Another possibility: DPP44 in the distribution box, put the 721 in the bedroom, replace the 510 and 811 with a 942 in the family room. No wiring issues. You'll be able to record satellite HDTV and OTA DTV. If you have a phone line connected you bill will go down by $5. Big drawback is the $$ needed up front.