Hooking up a DVD recorder to a 622

Z-man17

Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Ive got a DVD player/ recorder hooked up to my 622, and having problems. As a DVD player, it works great (upconvert) looks great, no issues w/ sound etc. I'm running an HDMI output from the DVD to the TV (it has 2, the other one is hooked to the 622) and taking audio from the DVD to an audio amp for surround sound.

Recording has bee the issue. I really want to be able to record on DVD - things that I have recorded on the DVR of the 622. I ran an S video cable from the 622 to the DVD recorder, and I've proven ( at a waste of a bland dvd) tht I can record the video, but where the hell do I get the audio from? I tried a video out from the TV - no luck. The NORMAL video out from the 622 to the TV is via HDMI cable, so I have all composite video "outs" left - but I'm not sure which one to use - for audio out of the 622 (while playing a recorded show on the 622) and into my dVD recorder. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Yes, there is NO AUDIO on the S-Video cable. You really need to read the instruction manual that came with your recorder.

Also, get some RW discs so you are not "wasting" while you experiment.

David_Levin said:
Yes, there is NO AUDIO on the S-Video cable. You really need to read the instruction manual that came with your recorder.

Also, get some RW discs so you are not "wasting" while you experiment.
Great idea.:rolleyes:

I ran an S video cable from the 622 to the DVD recorder, and I've proven ( at a waste of a bland dvd) tht I can record the video,

This at least answers my question in part, but what about the HD programs? Using S Video will not work for anything HD, because I assume that in order to preserve the HD format you'd have to use either the component or hdmi output on the 622 connected to the recording device.
I suppose the recorder would also have to be an HD Recorder and MPeg 4
compatible. Does anyone know if this is possible?

If your recorder supports 16:9 recording, your 622 will spit out anamorphic over the s-video and it will look quite good. I do most of my recording as movie HD downconverts to my Sony DVD recorders that allow solid manual setting of the DVD recording to 16:9. The picture quality at SP off my 622 can almost rival a purchased SD DVD--so if your player/scaler/TV uprezzes DVDs, you'll be pretty happy I think.

If you have a 42" or smaller TV, then the 1080i vs 480p is probably not an issue. When you get in to the 60" + sizes, the last thing you want to do is lose the 1080i.

Bull

If you have a 42" or smaller TV, then the 1080i vs 480p is probably not an issue. When you get in to the 60" + sizes, the last thing you want to do is lose the 1080i.
This is a statement that is full of Bull. Anyone that can't see a difference between 480 vs 1080 is blind. It doesn't make any diff what size the display is. 480 will be just as fuzzy on a small screen. The thing is it will show worse on a larger screen but it is will still just as evident on small displays.

This is a statement that is full of Bull. Anyone that can't see a difference between 480 vs 1080 is blind. It doesn't make any diff what size the display is. 480 will be just as fuzzy on a small screen. The thing is it will show worse on a larger screen but it is will still just as evident on small displays.

I agree if you are less than 3-4 meters from the display it would be more noticeable. My viewing distance is about 4 meters, and I think anyone would agree at that distance a 42" displaying 480 is going to look much better than a 65" displaying the same resolution.

For some it may be an issue no matter how far they are from the screen, but there are other factors to consider such as the broadcast itself. If you notice some SD channels look a lot worse than others. The newer SD seems to look much better, but with certain channels they seem either overly compressed or the signal is too low.

Last edited:
From 15 feet away (a table we often dine at and, yes, guilty, often simultaneously watch our HD set from)...I have to say, well-upscaled DVD looks pretty darn good even on a 55" screen. When you get closer, say, 6-7 feet, it's no contest w/ 1080i of course.

I've found this Sony Blu-ray DVD recorder for $2595 but I don't know if it has English menus. Has anyone heard if it has?

What I've adapted to doing

To be able to record the 16x9 shows to DVD - R, RW, + R, RW. I can record to RAM on my DVD recorder but it is the only thing that will read RAM so it is of little use to me. I have learned how to record the material direct to the - R,RW,+R,& RW. It is possible to do this by coming out of the S-Video w/ analog audio from TV 1 out. This makes it possible to do what I wanted to start with. It also shows that the 16x9 to RAM isn't the only way to do it. I have to set the output to the setting of 4x3 # 2 on the aspect ratio (menu 6 - 8). It is not necessary to change the output of TV type. Mine stays at 1080i I have changed it to 480i and it seems to make very little difference to the input of the DVD recorder.:D

give us a link

I've found this Sony Blu-ray DVD recorder for $2595 but I don't know if it has English menus. Has anyone heard if it has?
That is a bit on the high side and wonder if it is has built in DRM crap. Give us a link to where you found it and one of us will be able to tell you what it supports.

If your recorder supports 16:9 recording, your 622 will spit out anamorphic over the s-video and it will look quite good. I do most of my recording as movie HD downconverts to my Sony DVD recorders that allow solid manual setting of the DVD recording to 16:9. The picture quality at SP off my 622 can almost rival a purchased SD DVD--so if your player/scaler/TV uprezzes DVDs, you'll be pretty happy I think.
Any chance the Lite-On recorders sold by Sam's Club a couple years ago might have this feature? I can't find it. :) I guess I need a better recorder?

Sony, some Pioneer and some Toshibas are the one's I've heard mentioned that have manual or auto-detect 16:9 flag setting. I'm not sure about the LiteOn.

My new Sony GX330 didn't 'tout' the feature...I had to go in really searching in the documentation, and even then it was very obtuse about it. It wasn't until I fired it up and went into the 'Record Settings' menu that I was convinced it had the same manual 16:9 setting that my GX7 had. I was worried for a second.

I honestly don't know why this isn't a more clearly and universally adopted standard amongst the DVD recorder settop manufacturers. In my mind its an absolute must-have...otherwise you're sacrificing a great deal of your potential recording resolution. If you have a 16:9 TV, you do NOT want to be without this feature...unless you're happy w/ a loss of 1/3 of your picture/resolution by way of 4:3 letterboxing.

That is a bit on the high side and wonder if it is has built in DRM crap. Give us a link to where you found it and one of us will be able to tell you what it supports.

This is the Sony BDZ-S77, but the article did not include specific information about menus, just the price and that the picture quality was stunning in the 2 hr mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)