hooking up dish online to router?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eddieras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
hey guys - i need some advice - i got my dish online working thru my router perfectly - very cool to maintain my 722 DVR via my Pre! trouble is i'm out of ports on my router. i need to expand or get a new one - i've googled routers etc but this stuff is really foreign to me.

i found the following device, which got great reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156183

i'm not sure on the speed - it's 10/100Mbps - is there a particular speed i should look for?
any advice or direction to a website on basic info would be so appreciated!

thanks!

Just hop on over to BestBuy and buy a 4 or 5 port 10/100 ethernet switch and some short cat 5 cables and you'll be set. Connect the switch to the router and then the additional devices to the switch. Should cost < $25 total.

thanks - is there any special configuring i would need to do or is it all just plug and play? Also, it was recommended that i get a Gigabit switch - is that necessary? i really find this all confusing - routers, switches, etc. i'm trying to get myself up to speed so any advice or links to good info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Gigabit

thanks - is there any special configuring i would need to do or is it all just plug and play? Also, it was recommended that i get a Gigabit switch - is that necessary? i really find this all confusing - routers, switches, etc. i'm trying to get myself up to speed so any advice or links to good info would be greatly appreciated!

The gig switch is only needed if you have access to a gig network. Most people don't have access other than 10/100.

I am very pleased with an HP Procurve 24 port gigabit switch that I bought about a year ago. This is a buisiness class switch, but I found it for about $200 through a discounter. Comes with a lifetime warranty. If you do not have a router that supports gigabit ports and devices that have gigabit adapters, then you will not need this speed but it is nice to have if you do need the speed.

I am very pleased with an HP Procurve 24 port gigabit switch that I bought about a year ago. This is a buisiness class switch, but I found it for about $200 through a discounter. Comes with a lifetime warranty. If you do not have a router that supports gigabit ports and devices that have gigabit adapters, then you will not need this speed but it is nice to have if you do need the speed.
Though your post is informative, it is overwhelming to a guy who's already overwhelmed and obviously doesn't need anything near that class of a switch. :tux:

Something like these would do you well:

5-port $23 shipped:
Newegg.com - LINKSYS EZXS55W 10/100Mbps Workgroup Switch 5 x RJ45 - Switches

8-port $30 after rebate shipped:
Newegg.com - D-Link DGS-2208 10/100/1000Mbps 8-Port Desktop Green Ethernet Switch 8 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table 144KB per Device Packet Buffer Memory Buffer Memory - Switches

Or try a local retailer after printing the specs. 10/100 is all the faster you need. And most are plug and play if you have everything off when doing the plugging. Read the reviews. You could ask afterward if you get stuck and someone may be able to help you.

If you want to try and replace the router you have with a small switch, just make sure you have enough ports for everything and a port or two for expansion. If not, you could just plug the switch into the router for more ports. I don't know how many you have now.

thanks bebob- that really helps! i just ordered the linksys 2208 a couple days ago from Newegg, so i should be set there.

i do have some questions -

first - i should shut everything down.

then i plug the new linksys into any port on my current linksys, which is a 4 port with an uplink port. tho i don't know what an uplink is but someone told me not to use it.

do i need any particular type of cable? and when i'm done does it matter where the devices plug back in - to the older router or to the new one? does it matter which router should come first in the chain?

i have the following to plug in:
LAN
two desktops
wireless access point
Sprint Airave
Dish 722VIP receiver

i really appreciate your help on this - it arrives tomorrow so i'm looking forward to getting my 722 back online!

Don't use the uplink port. Use a cat5 cable (not a crossover cable). Most people have extra ones around, like the same one that goes from your computer to the router.

It doesn't matter where you plug them in on the router/switch (minus the uplink ports).

does it matter which router should come first in the chain?
I thought you only had one router? If it doesn't work one way, try reversing them.

If you can get some of your devices back up and working, then you know the router or switch connected is working. Sometimes the setup on the particular device is more the issue. The 722 should automatically pull the IP settings once it is connected to an active port.

I thought you only had one router? If it doesn't work one way, try reversing them.

i do only have only one router! that proves the extent of my lack of knowledge on this! :eek:

i meant to ask order of the router and new switch - but i would imagine that the modem goes to the router as is and the new switch hooks to an open port on the router.

thanks once again for setting me straight!

Yep. Modem ==> Router ==> Switch(es)

The UPLINK port is only there to support older hubs and switches that don't have hardware in them to do the Rx Tx "crossover" for you. Using the UPLINK port is the same as using a crossover ( yellow ) Ethernet cable. The newer Linksys switches have the UPLINK port shared with a regular "un-crossed" adjacent to it. You can use one or the other but not BOTH ports at the same time. Whether you use a crossover Ethernat cable or regular cable depends on your equipment.

The router you have is basically the routing part that handles and issues the IP addresses AND a switch. All you need is the switch you bought to add more ports. Your existing router will take care of assigning IP addresses for the "new" ports.

The color yellow is designated for a crossover cable so buying any color other than yellow should be good for normal switch to PC connections.

You should be able to hook it up this way...

Router ( any regular port ) to the Switch using the UPLINK port and a non-yellow cable. Remember that you CAN'T use the regular port right next to the UPLINK port if you do this. Use the other ports for your devices. Go into your router's setup menu and expand the address range if necessary -- most routers can issue 50 by default, so you are probably OK there.

Yep. Modem ==> Router ==> Switch(es)
Whether you use a crossover Ethernat cable or regular cable depends on your equipment.
The color yellow is designated for a crossover cable so buying any color other than yellow should be good for normal switch to PC connections.

Any networking equipment I have purchased in the last couple years have smart ports. They will accept either cable, just use what you have.

thanks guys- i really appreciate all the help -delivery's today - i'll let you know how it goes

thanks guys - i got the linksys 2208 today = it was so easy i'm embarrassed. took me all of five minutes to hook up. i plugged it in to a/c - got a ethernet i had lying around pluged it in the router and then into the switch. added my 722 and airave to the switch, leaving the two computers and access point on the router.

thanks to all for the good advice - great to have everything back and running - so cool to control my DVR from my PRE!

What's a PRE?

Sorry-- the Palm Pre --

great for those vacations when i can log onto my Dish account and program my 722 - you can even use it to control the remote - which is pretty useless but cool none the less!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)