Hooking up home theater help.

BiggaAdams

Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
I have no idea why I'm having so much trouble with this but for some reason I just can't get this setup the way I want.

First problem. When I turn the volume up on my motorola (non hdmi, getting that box soon though) box, it brings up the white volume bar up on my TV. If I dont have the volume turned up on my TV, the volume from the cable box really wont make much of a difference. So I turn the volume way up on my TV and control the volume with the cable box. I dont like that.

So when I hook my receiver up to the cable box, the only way I can get sound directly from my receiver and controlled by the volume thats set on my receiver is if I unplug the audio cables that came with the component cords (unplugged from the audio out on the cable box) and plug a white and red to my tv/sat output which is a audio in on the receiver and plug the receiver into the audio out.

I just want to be able to turn my receiver on and have the sound come from my stereo speakers, and when I turn the receiver off the sound comes from my TV. The only way I got it to work was when I plugged the Red and white into the video out from the component cord, and on the other end I had the component going into the tv and the red and white from that component also going into the tv. But the volume wasn't decided by my receiver, it depended how high i had the cable box volume set to.

Im sure I confused the hell out of you all as Im confusing myself, It's just so frustrating because I have it hooked up to my other tv just fine. On this receiver I have video in and video out, TV/sat (audio in) as another output, CD, MD/Tape and tuner.

Thank you all.

:(

Not sure what Moto box you have, but if you have the 6412 or 3412 you can reprogram the remote to control your receiver for volume. By default, the remote controls the TV volume when in cable mode. Changing this setting will control the receiver volume when in cable mode. By doing this you can connect the audio from the box to the receiver and the TV. When you dont want to use the receiver but rather the TV for volume, you simply press TV on the remote and it will control the TV volume and not the receiver. Here is a link to a Wikipedia page with all the remote codes for different functions. If you have the DVR box, it should also help with those functions.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote

Go to the volume lock section, that is where you find instructions on changing the setting. Hope this helps. I have found the info here very useful.

Last edited:
You can program the remote "AUX" to control your device.

I have no idea why I'm having so much trouble with this but for some reason I just can't get this setup the way I want.

First problem. When I turn the volume up on my motorola (non hdmi, getting that box soon though) box, it brings up the white volume bar up on my TV. If I dont have the volume turned up on my TV, the volume from the cable box really wont make much of a difference. So I turn the volume way up on my TV and control the volume with the cable box. I dont like that.

So when I hook my receiver up to the cable box, the only way I can get sound directly from my receiver and controlled by the volume thats set on my receiver is if I unplug the audio cables that came with the component cords (unplugged from the audio out on the cable box) and plug a white and red to my tv/sat output which is a audio in on the receiver and plug the receiver into the audio out.

I just want to be able to turn my receiver on and have the sound come from my stereo speakers, and when I turn the receiver off the sound comes from my TV. The only way I got it to work was when I plugged the Red and white into the video out from the component cord, and on the other end I had the component going into the tv and the red and white from that component also going into the tv. But the volume wasn't decided by my receiver, it depended how high i had the cable box volume set to.

Im sure I confused the hell out of you all as Im confusing myself, It's just so frustrating because I have it hooked up to my other tv just fine. On this receiver I have video in and video out, TV/sat (audio in) as another output, CD, MD/Tape and tuner.

Thank you all.

:(

You can program the "AUX" on the remote to control your device. That way you can control the "TV" too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)