Hooking up my 722 to the internet with having to run any wires across the house.

ouch1234

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Norman, Ok
Any suggestions how I can hook up my 722 to the internet without having to run any wires>
I'm on DSL and have a wireless router for the house, but I was hoping there are some tricks on how to get a wireless connection to my Living room DVR. Please be detailed, because you're talking to a dummy here. Type real slow so I can understand you :)

Thanks

Any suggestions how I can hook up my 722 to the internet without having to run any wires>
I'm on DSL and have a wireless router for the house, but I was hoping there are some tricks on how to get a wireless connection to my Living room DVR. Please be detailed, because you're talking to a dummy here. Type real slow so I can understand you :)
Thanks

Maybe dish comm powerline will work for you? I think it uses a pair of homeplug devices to transport the data from the receiver to the router homeplug.

Thanks

Log into your Dish account and order thru them. They have the best price. This is what I am using with a 722K. I can stream HD video without any buffering. The cost is $25.00 no tax & free 2 day shipping. Setup is very easy. Once you plug it into the back of the receiver follow the pop on screen instructions. When you get to the fist step it will ask you to scan for your wireless router ID. Lets say that that your wireless network ID is Mike1234 that will show after the scan. Check that box. Then it will asked for your encription key. Enter something that you won't forget like OUCH1234. There is a signal strength screen. Your looking for a minimum of 40. Move the Netgear adapter slowly around for the best signal. They give you velcro tabs to attach it to the back of the TV.

WiFi BB Connector
Connects receivers to your broadband service through your wireless router so you can access and order thousands of online titles, ensure critical receiver data is current, and access your account through your TV.
Compatible Receiver Models: 222k, 612, 622, 722, 722k, and 922
Includes a one (1) year warranty from the date of purchase
Item is not refundable

Last edited:
Bought my wifi adapter on ebay for $12.00 free ship.
One note. You have to use the encryption key that your wireless router is set up to use. You don't make up a new one for this adapter.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Wireless adaptor or a Slinglink modem. If you have the password to your network and you can get signal strength over 40%, then the adaptor will suffice. If not, then you will have to use the Slinglink modem. You plug it directly into an electrical outlet near your router, and use an ethernet cable between your router and the Slinglink. The rcvr that you are trying to link to the internet should be plugged directly into an electrical outlet as well. The powerlines are used as the conduit between the rcvr and the Slinglink modem. A few steps in the menu will have you linked up in no time. There are no passwords to enter using the Slinglink. Also, also you might want to consider the Sling Adaptor to complete your mobile/remote viewing experience. It is used together with the wireless adaptor or Slinglink modem.

In all of my experiences the Homeplug to Ethernet adapter works best, most commonly called a SlingLink. This is not to be confused with a Sling Adapter. Most times you can connect the SlingLink to your router, plug it directly in the wall or Homeplug approved power strip and then make sure your 722 is also directly plugged into the wall or homeplug approved power strip and your done. If you have issues connecting you can typically get those issues resolved on the phone.

Bought my wifi adapter on ebay for $12.00 free ship.
One note. You have to use the encryption key that your wireless router is set up to use. You don't make up a new one for this adapter.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys
I gave this as an example. Sorry if I was vague in my reply.

I have the homeplug, it did work great. But since Dish updated the on line account, my 722k and 2-211k's show not connected to broadband. I ran a network cable to my 722 and now my Dish OLA shows that it is connected to broadband. The 2-211's show not connected on the OLA but are really connected to the internet. Both the 211's are able to login an get my account balance, it says it's calling before it displays my monthly invoice but none of the 3 are connected to a phone line. Both the 211's show that I am connected to the internet and have IP addresses shown.
My question to anyone, will the dish police be able to see that all 3 boxes are at my home location?

I use the homeplug option Amazon.com: NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit: Electronics and it works great. I put one next to my router and plugged it in and one behind me DVR and hook up my ethernet cable. It really is that simple. any questions let me know

James

Another possibility for hooking up your receiver is to use a wireless bridge. You hook up your receiver to the wireless bridge using a regular LAN cable, and the wireless bridge connects to your network. If you have an old Linksys wireless router hanging around you can flash it with DD-WRT firmware to make it function as a wireless bridge (that is how my 722k is connected). One advantage to using a wireless bridge is that there is usually room for 4 connections so if you have a TV, Netflix device, blu-ray player, etc you can connect them all wirelessly using the wireless bridge.

I went ahead and hooked my office DVR directly to my router, I have control of my DVR through my computer, but I guess it requires more hardware for my computer to be able watch anything on my computer.. right? I can control my DVR by setting recordings, but I can't watch any shows. What do I need to be able watch TV?

I went ahead and hooked my office DVR directly to my router, I have control of my DVR through my computer, but I guess it requires more hardware for my computer to be able watch anything on my computer.. right? I can control my DVR by setting recordings, but I can't watch any shows. What do I need to be able watch TV?

To watch TV you'll now need a sling adapter that plugs into the USB port on the 722. They cost $99 directly through Dish and there has been (I believe it is still available) a $99 online rebate via gift card. The sling adapter works pretty well, although not perfectly, but it does let you watch stored programs as well as live programming over your lan and internet.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts