Hopper 1 - Boot Recovery 981 message (12/11/18)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jason Gladden

Original poster
Dec 11, 2018
Richmond, VA
Anyone else getting a boot recovery warning 981 message on the original hopper (from 2012) (NOT a Joey) today?

Been sitting with 0 progress bars for several hours now. Called dish support, 1st level tech said to wait at least 6 hours, then call back.

Should a boot recover show any progress on the bars at the bottom? I get the 1 bar solid for a little while, then it goes away. Been doing that for hours now.

Yes, it should show the bars progress as the software downloads. Are you sure you have a good signal coming from the dish? If so it's probably time to upgrade to a Hopper 2 or Hopper 3. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, it should show the bars progress as the software downloads. Are you sure you have a good signal coming from the dish? If so it's probably time to upgrade to a Hopper 2 or Hopper 3. :)

yeah I assume the signal is fine. It was working fine last night and has for years haha. Nothing looks wrong with the dish or the lines.

Reactions: JSheridan
if this old hopper really is dead, is there anyway to get the recordings off of it and onto a new hopper ? I have some on external drive, but not the stuff my wife will want haha.

I have heard of someone who got a replacement Hopper (not sure which model) who connected the old hard drive to the new unit and was able to off load shows to an EHD.

That probably will not work if you change from one Hopper model to another though.

Somebody else was able to copy the shows with a linux computer by copying the disharc folder from the old drive to the new one.

ok...I read something about old receivers and the "separator". So I took OUT the separator I had in the basement where "to client" was going to my joey, and "to host" was going to the hopper. progress bar is about half way across now...never got one solid one before.

I plugged the incoming line directly into the hopper and it SEEMS to be downloading the firmware now???? Does that make sense ? The dish installer 7 ish years ago put it all in..

Does any of this make any sense ?

ok...I read something about old receivers and the "separator". So I took OUT the separator I had in the basement where "to client" was going to my joey, and "to host" was going to the hopper. progress bar is about half way across now...never got one solid one before.

I plugged the incoming line directly into the hopper and it SEEMS to be downloading the firmware now???? Does that make sense ? The dish installer 7 ish years ago put it all in..

How many wires does the thing you call a separator have going into it all together? If it has only 3 wires then it's probably a tap, if it has 4 wires then it's probably a node, either of which can go bad.

If the bars are progressing across the screen then that's a good thing. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
How many wires does the thing you call a separator have going into it all together? If it has only 3 wires then it's probably a tap, if it has 4 wires then it's probably a node, either of which can go bad.

If the bars are progressing across the screen then that's a good thing. :)

I only has 3. Hopper downloaded firmware and started up fine! all recordings still there. I then put back in the tap to connect the Joey to the network and everything seems to be working again now.

I talked to Dish Tech support twice today, none thought to mention to remove a tap in front of the hopper to get the firmware to download properly.

A replacement Hopper is already shipped. Guess I will just ship it back.

That's not a separator, it's a Tap. If your box is that old, I would parlay that into a hopper 3 upgrade. It would probably be free and in the meantime, get your box back up and running and backup your recordings to an EHD

so everything seems to be working fine again now with the same tap back in place. Is it known/normal for a tap to interfere with a bootstrap recovery download ?

I'm glad your system came back up but no, it is not normal for a tap to interfere with a bootstrap recovery. In fact a bootstrap recovery is not normal. I'd take HipKat 's advice and get ready to replace that Hopper.

What kind did they send you? Another original Hopper/Hopper 2000?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts