Hopper 2, too little, too late.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I've been reading about the hopper 2.

This is all starting to sound like the iPad problem. Charge ya $X for something, then release a Product #2 months later, with a lot more new features. Then release product #3 a few months later, with a few more features.

Dish HAD a HDDVR with sling, the 922.

So they release the hopper WITHOUT sling, wait a while, and then release the hopper WITH sling. All the meantime they could of release the hopper with sling the 1st time around, and the 922 is proof they had the means to manufacture such receiver.

I chatted with dish tonight and was told as an existing customer, it would cost $600 to upgrade my current 2 hoppers to the new hoppers.

Screw that....

While I see your point, just because the newer version is out, doesn't mean that your current setup is any less useful. HwS is Dish's answer to DirecTV's NOMAD so that's just the way business goes. You could upgrade 1 Hopper to HwS for $200 (which is all you really need.) Also, you could wait a little while for the HwS supply to build up, maybe they'll drop the price. All HwS has is built-in Sling, faster CPU, built-in WiFi, iPad Transfers. All of which can be accomplished with Hopper 1.0 sans the speed boost and the iPad Transfers.

While I see your point, just because the newer version is out, doesn't mean that your current setup is any less useful. HwS is Dish's answer to DirecTV's NOMAD so that's just the way business goes. You could upgrade 1 Hopper to HwS for $200 (which is all you really need.) Also, you could wait a little while for the HwS supply to build up, maybe they'll drop the price. All HwS has is built-in Sling, faster CPU, built-in WiFi, iPad Transfers. All of which can be accomplished with Hopper 1.0 sans the speed boost and the iPad Transfers.

Doesn't the HwS also have the hopper2hopper recording transfer feature?

Nope. Only way to transfer between Hoppers is thru EHD.

The iPad transfers is called Hopper Transfers though.

Just get a sling adapter and call it a day.

Companies will continue to do this as long as people continue to run out and buy the latest and greatest every time it comes on the market.

For me (I rarely upgrade) I am not paying the 200 they want to upgrade. I can save a bundle in my case to switch over to Direct TV. I figure I will save about $600 before getting started based on equipment and all sorts of promos.

Rob

I've been reading about the hopper 2.

This is all starting to sound like the iPad problem. Charge ya $X for something, then release a Product #2 months later, with a lot more new features. Then release product #3 a few months later, with a few more features.

Dish HAD a HDDVR with sling, the 922.

So they release the hopper WITHOUT sling, wait a while, and then release the hopper WITH sling. All the meantime they could of release the hopper with sling the 1st time around, and the 922 is proof they had the means to manufacture such receiver.

I chatted with dish tonight and was told as an existing customer, it would cost $600 to upgrade my current 2 hoppers to the new hoppers.

Screw that....

This is just the nature of technology and always has been. No big surprises here. As for your upgrade price it looks like they have you rated as a Plan C customer and paying $300 for the Hopper with Sling. If you have 2 Hoppers now do you really feel you need to swap both out with the Hopper with Sling. I just replaced the one Hopper in my setup since the features it offers is only really needed on one receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)