Hopper 3, 1000.4 Dish, Both East/West, How to Wire?

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
Looking for some guidance here for a movers "Frankenstein" setup.

My wife's parents want to go to Dish at home and add a Hopper 3, but currently get their locals from one of the CONUS markets on '77 so that when they travel they don't have to switch off as much. (They currently use an X2 and a vip211).

In this case I know they need a 1000.4 dish, Eastern Arc LNB for 61.5 degrees, 72.7 degrees, and 77 degrees, and the DPH 42 Switch (to allow the Hopper 3 to function with the older Eastern Arc LNB)

My question is... how can you wire this, with the fewest number of wires from the dish to the house where everything else will be located?

The Hopper 3 will be purchased since they want to keep their pay as you go status.

Part #2

They would like to have a separate dish for the Western Arc because trees make picking up 61.5 difficult during some parts of the year if the cloud cover is bad. (In case you're wondering the main reason they want Eastern Arc vs straight Western Arc is for their real locals should they decide to switch to them. They're only in HD on the Eastern Arc- SD only on Western)

I assume the easiest solution there would be a western arc dish in addition to the Eastern Arc dish, with whatever satellite they need to pick up on the Western Arc dish fed into the "extra" port on the Eastern Arc dish? (Or the opposite, take the 77 bird wire and feed it into the western arc dish?)

Lastly, is there any mounting solution available that would allow both dishes to be mounted on the same pole (just using a taller pole than typically is used for a single dish possibly?)

Since they need a 1000.4 Eastern Arc for locals, they need a 42 switch, which will convert the 1000.4's DPP signal to Hybrid. 3 lines off the dish to the switch, then 1 line form the switch to a Solo Hub for the Hopper and any Joeys. They can use the same setup with a 1000.4 Western Arc LNBF, also, but will have to reconfigure the dish when moving from eastern to western arcs

I assume the easiest solution there would be a western arc dish in addition to the Eastern Arc dish, with whatever satellite they need to pick up on the Western Arc dish fed into the "extra" port on the Eastern Arc dish? (Or the opposite, take the 77 bird wire and feed it into the western arc dish?)
I will answer this part. Since you will be running the dish through an external switch (in this case, a DPH42) the fourth satellite location would get hooked up to the fourth input on the switch, not the input built-in to the other dish's LNB. Any external switch would disable the switch built into the LNB, and thus disable the use of the LNB's input port.

In answer to your mounting question, the only dual dish mounts I've seen were home made. I'm not aware of any dual mounts for residential use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)