Hopper 3 and Hopper

badtazboy

Original poster
May 6, 2015
Us
Just upgraded my system from a Hopper to Hopper 3, the wife has an account and I piggyback off my parents account. When they came to install the Hopper 3 they took the switch so now my piggyback receiver (Hopper) don't work. Anyone know which switch I need to get my 2nd box back?

I'm guessing he had a Duo Node, and the tech took it and replaced the LNB and put in a solo hub

Is it common that tech’s take stuff from other installs? My latest install, the tech took a splitter that was connected to the cable coming from the cable company. It was installed there by a spectrum tech to reduce signal level because it was a bit high since I didn’t have any other splits between the tap and my modem. The Dish tech basically used that splitter to split Dish’s cable between joeys and reconnected my cable modem minus the splitter. Had to get another splitter and put it back. The time before, the Dish tech took an amplifier installed by time warner. It was the same dish tech both times but I didn’t notice until after he left.

Starting to think I have to tie down my equipment.. at least from the retailer that installed Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm still confused by the OP and what his setup was and what it is now
The OP was account stacking with his parents and his wife has an account which they upgraded to a H3 and after the upgrade the stacked account receiver no longer works.

Reactions: david_jr
N0qcu that is correct. My parents gave me a receiver to use (last 15 years with all channels) then got married to a woman who has an account (basic), not wanting to give up what I had and not being able to add to it the wife kept her account (multiple TV's). When we moved and had Dish installed told the tech what I had going on he hooked it up. Upgraded a couple years later from standard to Hopper again tech hooked it up. But just now upgraded to Hopper 3 and this tech wouldn't hook it up like it was. Understand where Dish is coming from but if there wasn't a problem with what techs had done before why now. Last tech switched out the lnb and took switch. I'm just looking to find what switch I can put back on so I can get back the ability to use my reicever again.

If I understand correctly, you want a Hopper 3 and a Hopper 2000 or Hopper w/Sling to share the same dish that's now equipped with a hybrid LNB. Is that correct?

You likely will need a separate DPP dish for the older Hopper. I don't know of a switch that will let you use it with the H3's hybrid LNB.

N0qcu that is correct. My parents gave me a receiver to use (last 15 years with all channels) then got married to a woman who has an account (basic), not wanting to give up what I had and not being able to add to it the wife kept her account (multiple TV's). When we moved and had Dish installed told the tech what I had going on he hooked it up. Upgraded a couple years later from standard to Hopper again tech hooked it up. But just now upgraded to Hopper 3 and this tech wouldn't hook it up like it was. Understand where Dish is coming from but if there wasn't a problem with what techs had done before why now. Last tech switched out the lnb and took switch. I'm just looking to find what switch I can put back on so I can get back the ability to use my reicever again.
The reason the latest tech wouldn't set you up the same way other techs did is because what you are doing, using your parents account on that receiver at a different address at the same time they use their receiver at their address, is against Dish policy. Dish considers that theft of service. Think of it this way, if everyone were to share their service with someone else Dish would collect half the revenue that they get today. They would have to double the price of subscription or go out of business. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)