Hopper 3 and Wally

Folds5300

Original poster
Dec 3, 2021
Florida
After much research I have figured out in order to run a Hopper 3 with 2 joeys and 2 Wallys there will need to be two different Dishes or a DPP LNB with a DP42 switch. Reason I’m wanting to do this is I have an RV with 2 wallys. I want to use the two wallys to move back and fourth from house and RV. The dish on the house will be a new install with all new equipment (currently the home is under construction). I figure the easiest thing is install one Dish with a DPP LNB and DP42 switch. Question is would the installer from dish (when I call them to install) install a DPP LNB if I asked for it. Or will they automatically install the hybrid? I will have 4 RG6 running from dish location into the attic where home runs from each tv location run. I have no problem buying the DPP LNB and switch and changing it out once the installer leaves. If this is what I will need to do which LNB would be the correct one I need bi see several different models online. Will the dish need to be re tuned if I have to swap the LNB’s myself?

After much research I have figured out in order to run a Hopper 3 with 2 joeys and 2 Wallys there will need to be two different Dishes or a DPP LNB with a DP42 switch.
I think that DPH42 switch has only 2 outputs, leaving one of your Wally's out in the RV.

Last edited:
Here is the DPH42 manual. https://manuals.solidsignal.com/DPH42_Installation.pdf

You are going to need one of those switches, and something called a channel stack splitter. Here is one from SolidSignal DISH 2-Way Stackable Commercial Splitter for DPH42 Switch (ES009714) , if you get the switch from there, I would highly recommend buying both in the same order because they charge UPS ground shipping regardless of how small of an item you buy (It would cost me $16 to have that $7 splitter ship to Texas for example).

I think that DP42 switch has only 2 outputs, leaving one of your Wally's out in the RV.
One of the outputs (or even both I believe) can be split off with one of the previously mentioned splitters up to 16 times, both Wally's and Hopper Duo's support this. (That's the reason they are considered Hybrid receivers despite only having 2 tuners).

The DPH42 is for use with the Hopper Joey configuration using a standard DP LNB. The Wally’s would be fed directly from the dish in front of that 42 switch.
Do you mean connect the Wally's on the same LNB as the switch? That would not work, you need one coax run per satellite to get the switch working (Just like with the DPP44) so all of the LNB outputs would be taken up by the sat feeds. Only exception to this might be the DPP EA Twin LNB, it has 3 outputs but only two would be used for the switch. But there is a high chance the LNB will disable its internal switch when it detects the DPH42, in which case port 3 would provide sat 72.7 only.

Attachments

• DPH.PNG
    DPH.PNG
    208.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 1000.2EA.PNG
    1000.2EA.PNG
    41.9 KB · Views: 181
Here is the DPH42 manual. https://manuals.solidsignal.com/DPH42_Installation.pdf

You are going to need one of those switches, and something called a channel stack splitter. Here is one from SolidSignal DISH 2-Way Stackable Commercial Splitter for DPH42 Switch (ES009714) , if you get the switch from there, I would highly recommend buying both in the same order because they charge UPS ground shipping regardless of how small of an item you buy (It would cost me $16 to have that $7 splitter ship to Texas for example).

One of the outputs (or even both I believe) can be split off with one of the previously mentioned splitters up to 16 times, both Wally's and Hopper Duo's support this. (That's the reason they are considered Hybrid receivers despite only having 2 tuners).

Do you mean connect the Wally's on the same LNB as the switch? That would not work, you need one coax run per satellite to get the switch working (Just like with the DPP44) so all of the LNB outputs would be taken up by the sat feeds. Only exception to this might be the DPP EA Twin LNB, it has 3 outputs but only two would be used for the switch. But there is a high chance the LNB will disable its internal switch when it detects the DPH42, in which case port 3 would provide sat 72.7 only.
Thanks for the drawing and Info. This is exactly what I figured I had to do. Do you know if the Dish Installer will install this way? I am guessing they will not which is no big deal as I can do it. However, I notice several different DPP LNB. Is there one that will work with the actual Dish that the installer will install? Only reason I am even wanting the installer is so I do not have to install and tune the Dish. If I am going to have to retune or change the dish out there is no reason for them to even come out. If I go this route with a DPP LNB will I lose any of the options the Hopper 3 offers?

I notice several different DPP LNB. Is there one that will work with the actual Dish that the installer will install?
EA or WA? That will determine which LNB to buy. Either way, I think but don't know that you won't even have to replace the LNB. I have read reports here that the hybrid LNB they will install can also feed a DPH42.
If I go this route with a DPP LNB will I lose any of the options the Hopper 3 offers?
It is my understanding that the DPP LNB with the DPH42 retains all Hopper 3 functions.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do you know if the Dish Installer will install this way?
That’s is hard to answer, I’ve had my fair share of techs come in and they are all different. Some will do absolutely everything by the book, and will not provide any parts or help installing the Switch and Wally runs. Most however do not mind doing some extra coax runs while they are there (which may not even be necessary in your case) as long as you are the one to provide the switch, because they can’t use there own inventory unless they have a good reason to (if you are a new home customer they may be more accommodating as well, hard to say). As far as the LNB goes, you should get a model 1000.2 satellite with either a Western arc (WA) or Eastern arc (EA) Hybrid LNB depending on where you get your locals from (you can check that here, cntl+f is your friend). In your case you are going to need a DPP LNB, this is also depending on your tech but some of the ones in my area have literal boxes of these because they do upgrades from older receivers that used them, but if the tech doesn’t carry one or refuses to do the install that way you could replace the LNB yourself, if you get the LNB (and possibly the yoke depending on the LNB model you get) you can switch out the LNB’s without realigning.

I have read reports here that the hybrid LNB they will install can also feed a DPH42.
Only the case with the EA version of the Hybrid, WA only has the outputs for 119/110 and I’ve only seen 2 cases where that has worked so it might be better to still use the tried and true DPP LNB.

It is my understanding that the DPP LNB with the DPH42 retains all Hopper 3 functions.
This is correct, the DPH42 takes any DP/DPP signal and outputs a hybrid one, which is what the Hopper3 needs to get all of its 16 tuners. Essentially mimics a hybrid LNB but without the one port limitation.

EA or WA? That will determine which LNB to buy. Either way, I think but don't know that you won't even have to replace the LNB. I have read reports here that the hybrid LNB they will install can also feed a DPH42.

I am in Florida so going to need a WA. From what I have gathered I will need an LNBF Bracket to install the DPP on to the 1000.2 dish. The part I am having troubles figuring out exactly what I need is the actual LNB. I see the DPP 500+ receives signal from the 110°, 118.7°, 119° and 129° orbital locations with the additional bracket and LNBF. However, what is the additional bracket and LNBF. I can not seem to find that anywhere. Is this what I would actually need or is there a better option to get all of the signals?

I am in Florida so going to need a WA. From what I have gathered I will need an LNBF Bracket to install the DPP on to the 1000.2 dish. The part I am having troubles figuring out exactly what I need is the actual LNB. I see the DPP 500+ receives signal from the 110°, 118.7°, 119° and 129° orbital locations with the additional bracket and LNBF. However, what is the additional bracket and LNBF. I can not seem to find that anywhere. Is this what I would actually need or is there a better option to get all of the signals?
OK, this is a new wrinkle. Do you receive any channels from 118? The normal installation for 110/119/129 for WA is a 1000.2 which will come with it's own bracket and DPH or DPP LNB. I think we determined you want a DPP LNB to feed the DPH42 for your Wally's. But if you sub to channels requiring 118, then Dish will very likely install a DPP LNB for you and you can add the DPH42 later (if necessary). Note that I am not sure about that. Are there any hybrid LNBs available for 110/118/119/129? I have never heard of them if so.

I am in Florida so going to need a WA.
Most of Florida seems to be both WA/EA, with some exceptions being Jacksonville (SD on WA and HD on EA) or Miami being WA exclusive, so just make sure before you buy (also, WA is south west and EA is south east, if you have any obstacles in either direction it might make the case to use a different arc if you have the option).

I see the DPP 500+ receives signal from the 110°, 118.7°, 119° and 129° orbital locations with the additional bracket and LNBF.
Unless you are intending to get international channels excluding the already existing Spanish channels on the regular satellites, you do not need the DPP 500+/1000+, since this LNB belongs to a dish named the Dish 1000+ for reception of the international satellite at 118.7. If you are indeed getting international channels, then you don’t need to worry about anything because there is only a DPP version of the 1000+ and you will have a DPH42 installed anyway to feed the Hopper 3. But I suspect this is not the case, right?

However, what is the additional bracket and LNBF. I can not seem to find that anywhere. Is this what I would actually need or is there a better option to get all of the signals?
Here is an example on eBay of what you need (given the nature of eBay, I’ll mention that I’m not endorsing these particular sellers, it’s just to give you an example. I’ve yet to have a problem buying used LNBFs off the website but you never know with used stuff).

WA LNB : Dish Network Dish Pro Plus 1000.2 Triple LNB 110 119 129 HD | eBay

EA LNB: Dish Network LNB 1000.2 DPP Twin Eastern LNBF Pro Plus EA Arc 72 61.5 Satellite 753960012728 | eBay

Bracket (works for both): DISH NETWORK 1000.2 INTEGRATED LNB BRACKET / ADAPTER / HOLDER / YOKE BRAND NEW!! | eBay

Most of Florida seems to be both WA/EA, with some exceptions being Jacksonville (SD on WA and HD on EA) or Miami being WA exclusive, so just make sure before you buy (also, WA is south west and EA is south east, if you have any obstacles in either direction it might make the case to use a different arc if you have the option).

Unless you are intending to get international channels excluding the already existing Spanish channels on the regular satellites, you do not need the DPP 500+/1000+, since this LNB belongs to a dish named the Dish 1000+ for reception of the international satellite at 118.7. If you are indeed getting international channels, then you don’t need to worry about anything because there is only a DPP version of the 1000+ and you will have a DPH42 installed anyway to feed the Hopper 3. But I suspect this is not the case, right?

Here is an example on eBay of what you need (given the nature of eBay, I’ll mention that I’m not endorsing these particular sellers, it’s just to give you an example. I’ve yet to have a problem buying used LNBFs off the website but you never know with used stuff).

EA LNB: Dish Network LNB 1000.2 DPP Twin Eastern LNBF Pro Plus EA Arc 72 61.5 Satellite 753960012728 | eBay

Bracket (works for both): DISH NETWORK 1000.2 INTEGRATED LNB BRACKET / ADAPTER / HOLDER / YOKE BRAND NEW!! | eBay

Thanks for the info. I’m in the Pensacola area, closer to Alabama. Definitely do not need any international Chanel’s. My RV, when tuned in shows 110,119 & 129. So guessing all I need is the WA LNB. Which brings up another question in my RV. I have a winguard traveler with a hybrid. Does this mean if I travel west I’m possibly going to lose Chanel’s or since it auto tunes will it still work with the LNB. Traveling to Montana next spring so wondering if I will encounter a problem.

Thanks for the info. I’m in the Pensacola area, closer to Alabama. Definitely do not need any international Chanel’s. My RV, when tuned in shows 110,119 & 129. So guessing all I need is the WA LNB.
Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL is a EA/WA market, so I would just get a WA DPP LNB for consistency with the trav'ler in the RV.

Which brings up another question in my RV. I have a winguard traveler with a hybrid. Does this mean if I travel west I’m possibly going to lose Chanel’s or since it auto tunes will it still work with the LNB. Traveling to Montana next spring so wondering if I will encounter a problem.
WA covers most of the US with the far NE (New York, NH, VT, Mass, Maine etc) being near impossible to get HD service from because 129 is too low on the horizon (hence the existence of EA, which is easy to get on the east coast but not everywhere else). So you will be able to receive normal national service just about anywhere, except HD in those New England areas (In some very clear places like in the middle of a field or something it may be possible, but unlikely). What you may run into is locals being either exclusive to one arc or another, or being present on both arcs. This varies by city, and you can consult this page from earlier for more info Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing) .

Some examples since you mentioned Montana: The whole state seems to be WA exclusive (Billings, Butte, Great Falls and Helena), while Glendive is on both arcs (110° SD and 61.5° HD). So you will be able to get HD locals pretty much anywhere except Glendive, where you will only get them in SD. National channels work independently of which arc you are on for the most part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)