Hopper 3 and Xbox One issues

miker295

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle
I was upgraded to the Hopper 3 today and haven't been able to get it to work with Xbox One, so just passing my experience along in case it helps others. (The Xbox One has a HDMI pass through function that allows seamless switching between TV, games and other applications.)

The tech spent forever trying to get Hopper 3 to work and after an hour and several tech calls he was ready to give up. I suggested we disconnect the Xbox and route Hopper straight into the TV. That fixed the problem immediately.

Since the tech left I've tried reconnecting to Xbox, and rebooting Xbox, to no avail. The Xbox just says "can't find your TV signal."

I seemed to recall this happened when Xbox One was first released (I have a Day One console) and a software upgrade fixed it. So perhaps Microsoft needs to send out another upgrade for Hopper 3. It is pretty odd/frustrating, given that it's really just supposed to be a HDMI pass through.

Reactions: Carrman217
I have the Hopper 3. My Son has a Xboxone and a new Joey 2.0. Connected. And it is working. Sounds like. The pass through. Works thru the joey to connect to the Hopper3 but not directly.? Interesting

I have an Xbox One Day One console and had my hopper 3 installed today. The hopper was connected through the Xbox during the entire install and it's working as normal.

Reactions: avediswolf
I was worried about this too, but my Xbox One with Kinect works flawlessly and has since install. Even voice commands for turning the TV on and off and changing stations is perfect.

Reactions: avediswolf
Xbox one pass thru works here with Joey 4K. Only issue that came up was when it was in the Setup menus after first power up it would keep switching resolution between 480 and 1080. But after set up was complete it all works fine at 1080P. But of course the xbox one wont pass thru 4K.

From reading around it seems to be a hardware issue. From reading some sights,there is pure speculation that there will be a revised xbox one and PS4 revision this fall with new hardware to pass 4K.

I was worried about this too, but my Xbox One with Kinect works flawlessly and has since install. Even voice commands for turning the TV on and off and changing stations is perfect.
Can you tell me what device name or code you used for the Hopper 3? Mine is also working except that the voice controls don't work and neither does turning on/off the Hopper when I shutdown Xbox. Thanks.

Can you tell me what device name or code you used for the Hopper 3? Mine is also working except that the voice controls don't work and neither does turning on/off the Hopper when I shutdown Xbox. Thanks.

I actually had my Xbox One working with my HWS before I upgraded to the H3. I didn't need to change any settings after the H3 install. It just worked right away.

I actually had my Xbox One working with my HWS before I upgraded to the H3. I didn't need to change any settings after the H3 install. It just worked right away.
yeah, i had the regular Hopper before upgrading to version 3 as well, but it won't work. I'm asking as well on the Xbox One forums. Thanks.

I finally hooked my H3 through my Xbone Day One console, and everything works wonderfully.
I can help with screenshots of setting or anything if needed.

I was upgraded to the Hopper 3 today and haven't been able to get it to work with Xbox One, so just passing my experience along in case it helps others. (The Xbox One has a HDMI pass through function that allows seamless switching between TV, games and other applications.)

The tech spent forever trying to get Hopper 3 to work and after an hour and several tech calls he was ready to give up. I suggested we disconnect the Xbox and route Hopper straight into the TV. That fixed the problem immediately.

Since the tech left I've tried reconnecting to Xbox, and rebooting Xbox, to no avail. The Xbox just says "can't find your TV signal."

I seemed to recall this happened when Xbox One was first released (I have a Day One console) and a software upgrade fixed it. So perhaps Microsoft needs to send out another upgrade for Hopper 3. It is pretty odd/frustrating, given that it's really just supposed to be a HDMI pass through.

I had the same thing happen to me just today. Tech came out yesterday setup went fine. Woke up the morning, turned on the Xbox One (Day one edition) and all I got was "Hopper 3 starting up" I tried to reset everything with both soft and hard reboots. No luck. Called Dish tech and went thru all the measures, still no luck. Plugged the receiver straight into the TV and it worked! Need to add that while I was getting the startup message from the Hopper 3 , Xbox One setup, all the Joeys in all my other rooms were working fine. I am starting to think it my be just a HDMI cable that went bad. I will let all know next week as I am thing the whole system down today to do some painting and have a new TV and soundbar coming next week. I will reconnect everything with next cables and see if that does the trick.
Sorry, but glad to see that I was not the only one having this issue!

A hard reset of the Xbox one should fix that issue. The problem is that the tv app on the Xbox puked out and is just showing a freeze frame of the last thing it had seen. Holding down your finger on the Xbox one touch power button on the front of the Xbox one should reset Xbox and tv app. Works for me when this has happened.

Reactions: Carrman217
I have found it to be a bad HDMI cable. Actually the one that came with the Xbox One. I replaced it, and all seem to be working well. Thank to all for the great tips and advice!

I’m having issues after the Hopper 3 upgrade as well. It’s not recognizing the hopper 3. I had it guide me through after selecting Dish network and the off sent didn’t turn off the hopper 3. I eventually typed in hopper3 and it’s still not controlling the off and on. Is this a moot point when I upgrade to a 4K tv anyway??
Will I need just to connect the hopper 3 to the 4K tv directly to get a 4K picture? If so, I’ll just leave the Xbox one out of the loop now. I do miss having the voice commands of Xbox on and Xbox turn off. Seems like Alexa takes care of everything else anyway... except volume, on and off. Anyone???

You need to contact MS support for help and info on how to connect there console to DISH. I know the xbox handles a passthru feature on the console and the DISH HW would need to be connected to it and I presume the TV to back of the console. However handling of the HDMI single is done on the xbox console thus would need to be configured there. DISH only sends video and AUDIO single to the end point like a TV or AVR or in this case the xbox console.

You need to contact MS and have them help you ensure there console is connected and configured correctly to work with DISH video and audio signals.

If you going to upgrade to 4K in a TV, then I would skip any use of the xbox and directly connect the Hopper and any DISH 4K supporting HW directly to the back of the 4K TV or AVR if you have a AVR that supports HDMI to the 4K TV. Less processing if audio and video signals is preferred for best quality and performances. TVs and AVRs have many inputs to handle many inputs from devices.

I’m having issues after the Hopper 3 upgrade as well. It’s not recognizing the hopper 3. I had it guide me through after selecting Dish network and the off sent didn’t turn off the hopper 3. I eventually typed in hopper3 and it’s still not controlling the off and on. Is this a moot point when I upgrade to a 4K tv anyway??
Will I need just to connect the hopper 3 to the 4K tv directly to get a 4K picture? If so, I’ll just leave the Xbox one out of the loop now. I do miss having the voice commands of Xbox on and Xbox turn off. Seems like Alexa takes care of everything else anyway... except volume, on and off. Anyone???

I don't know about Hopper 3, but I use my Echo Dot to turn on my Wally by saying "Alexa, on Dish."

Reactions: charlesrshell
Using my Voice remote [54 remote] I can say turn off the receiver and it works but when I say turn on the receiver it does nothing. Tonight I will say ON DISH and see what happens.

Using my Voice remote [54 remote] I can say turn off the receiver and it works but when I say turn on the receiver it does nothing. Tonight I will say ON DISH and see what happens.
On the 54 remote, you have to press the microphone button to get the receiver to respond to voice commands. My Wally turns on as soon as I press the microphone button (or any other button, for that matter). Not only do I not have to say any voice command, I don't even get the chance to say a voice command to try to turn the receiver on, since it is already on at that point. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)