Hopper 3 Audio dropouts over HDMI

Eric Seaberg

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
San Diego
I've had a Dish Hopper 3 for several weeks now and have been experiencing audio dropouts over HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A840 receiver. Some networks are worse than others, and it does happen on DVR replays, which makes sense as it's coming from the network stream. I'm tempted to try a SPDIF output from the Hopper to see if that makes a diff over HDMI, but I can't imagine it would . Really sounds like a clocking issue where it's dropped, and the Yamaha takes that second to re-sync.

Anyone else...

I get sound dropouts on my HWS the past month. Seems to be recorded only and only with the prime time recordings only. In my case, I have been thinking a failed HD since I also get a lot of pixelization on many recordings.

Almost every audio or picture problem I have run into was fixed with a new hdmi cable
Replacing my backup today because Roku acted up just last night, probably due to pulling the xbox out for a drawful party out of town. Oh well. :)

I also have my H3 connected to the rx-a840. I have only noticed audio drop when viewing (live or recorded) content from the ota module specifically thecw.

When watching the same recorded show on the joey4k no audio drop out, when watching the recording on dish anywhere no audio dropout. Problem only occurs on the H3.

Almost every audio or picture problem I have run into was fixed with a new hdmi cable
Replacing my backup today because Roku acted up just last night, probably due to pulling the xbox out for a drawful party out of town. Oh well. :)

wow the installer sold me 40+ dollar hdmi and it did not solve this problem thinking about asking for a credit for the 15.00 receiver rental fee until they resolve these issues . let alone the multi view un-resolved issue

wow the installer sold me 40+ dollar hdmi and it did not solve this problem thinking about asking for a credit for the 15.00 receiver rental fee until they resolve these issues . let alone the multi view un-resolved issue
I pay $8 through Amazon but that might explain why I replace them so often. :)

I have never purchased an HDMI cable outside of what has been provided with various pieces of equipment. Never had one fail, either. Did the installer tell you that the HDMI cable that he was selling you would resolve the problem?

But there is no $15 rental fees. Actually, there is no monthly rental fees, ever, for any Dish customer on TV receivers. Even with the H3, there is not an active receiver fee. There is a DVR service fee, and then a fee for every Joey.

In my case on a HWS it is not the HDMI cable. I get the same dropout and/or pixelization of the same recording on the Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)