Hopper 3 bad PQ

I have always left all post processing off. I did try the DNR but it just made the picture more fuzzy.

Hopper3 looks great on my 70" Sony. Not as good as OTA, but as good as DirecTV and better than my local cableco. I'd be really surprised if it was the Hopper. Do you have a another, smaller TV you could try with it?

Reactions: charlesrshell
My next smallest is a 55. It looks pretty good on that one, but it is a much smaller display so it could just be that. That TV is also much newer, so...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just for kicks, did a search for Calibrate Sharpe Aquos.

Try this. Save your current settings, either by notating them or taking pics and give this a shot. I had to do this with my LG when I got the Hooper 3 and it was strikingly better

How to Calibrate a Sharp Aquos

Tips for Enhancing Picture Quality on Your LED TV : Sharp

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1389906-sharp-aquos-80-inch-calibration.html

There's more sites, too if you search calibrate Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE642U settings

Just for kicks, did a search for Calibrate Sharpe Aquos.

Try this. Save your current settings, either by notating them or taking pics and give this a shot. I had to do this with my LG when I got the Hooper 3 and it was strikingly better

How to Calibrate a Sharp Aquos

Tips for Enhancing Picture Quality on Your LED TV : Sharp

Sharp Aquos 80 inch calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

There's more sites, too if you search calibrate Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE642U settings

I did and still do make a lot of adjustments since the Hopper came in. I have tweaked and tweaked, and still even last night was tweaking and getting more frustrated with the PQ. The problem is that the programming quality is so variable with Dish, that changing the channel makes you have to start all over again. I certainly cannot keep changing my calibration settings for every program. Even different shows on the same channel have varying degrees of quality, most of them quite poor (especially locals).

Changing the output of the receiver has a dramatic effect. It makes some channels looks terrible in 1080 and great in 720, and others vice-versa. Example: Jeopardy on Fox shows terrible combing in 1080, almost to the point of looking like a doubled image. Switching to 720 removes the combing, but the image then shakes up and down about one raster line. I can't win.

I'm just unsure of what the difference is between the 722 and the Hopper. Was the 722 performing up/downscaling and now the TV is? Was it the other way around? I'm at a loss and ready to throw in the towel. The wife isn't against getting a new TV, but it seems crazy that I should have to do that. Of course my worst fear is getting it home and finding the problem remains, or is even worse.

All of the expert advice here says it's not the Hopper, but how could a 4 year old TV under perform so dramatically with one receiver and not another? Streaming looks fantastic, as does anything from my media server. I'm still not convinced it is the TV, but also cannot argue that others have good results form the same receiver.

<rock> <me> <hard place>

I did and still do make a lot of adjustments since the Hopper came in. I have tweaked and tweaked, and still even last night was tweaking and getting more frustrated with the PQ. The problem is that the programming quality is so variable with Dish, that changing the channel makes you have to start all over again. I certainly cannot keep changing my calibration settings for every program. Even different shows on the same channel have varying degrees of quality, most of them quite poor (especially locals).
I'm afraid you may be falling into a mind-set trap that ALL programs/stations should have identical PQ. You're never going to live to see that day. PQ is manipulated all the time, and on purpose. Certain networks always look a bit different that others due to equipment differences, cameras, etc. And then there is SD originated vs HD originated. Just something to think about.

Reactions: ncted
Yep. Hogan’s Heroes looks a lot better than MASH on my Sony UHD TV.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm afraid you may be falling into a mind-set trap that ALL programs/stations should have identical PQ. You're never going to live to see that day. PQ is manipulated all the time, and on purpose. Certain networks always look a bit different that others due to equipment differences, cameras, etc. And then there is SD originated vs HD originated. Just something to think about.

If I were new to Dish, I would agree. I have been watching their service for almost 22 years so I know what to expect, and what the capabilities are. Most of the programming is of unwatchable quality on the Hopper compared to the 722. My eyes keep trying to adjust to the out of focus looking PQ with movies (they are so soft they look like Vasoline was smeared on the camera lens), and the combing on the locals (some are so sharp there are halos around everything and digital noise all over). It actually makes my head hurt from the eye strain. What's the point of having TV you can't watch?

I think the level of bad I am talking about is lost in translation through the posts, as it's very hard to describe a subjective medium like video in words. The compression artifacts, combing, smoothing, blocky darks, blurry lifeless picture usually - yet way too sharp sometimes, all combine to make for a terrible viewing experience. The receiver seems to be at odds with itself. No amount of TV adjustment is gong to fix that.

The fact also remains that nothing has changed except the receiver - the old one was fine, the new one is not. It's so incredibly frustrating. l would take my 722 back in a second over this mess.

I don't have the H3, I still have HWS, so I can't help with your problem. There have been several others that switched to the H3 that complained of picture quality.
Not sure how the solved the problem, or if they did

If I were new to Dish, I would agree. I have been watching their service for almost 22 years so I know what to expect, and what the capabilities are. Most of the programming is of unwatchable quality on the Hopper compared to the 722. My eyes keep trying to adjust to the out of focus looking PQ with movies (they are so soft they look like Vasoline was smeared on the camera lens), and the combing on the locals (some are so sharp there are halos around everything and digital noise all over). It actually makes my head hurt from the eye strain. What's the point of having TV you can't watch?

I think the level of bad I am talking about is lost in translation through the posts, as it's very hard to describe a subjective medium like video in words. The compression artifacts, combing, smoothing, blocky darks, blurry lifeless picture usually - yet way too sharp sometimes, all combine to make for a terrible viewing experience. The receiver seems to be at odds with itself. No amount of TV adjustment is gong to fix that.

The fact also remains that nothing has changed except the receiver - the old one was fine, the new one is not. It's so incredibly frustrating. l would take my 722 back in a second over this mess.

After all you have done perhaps it's time to get a replacement Hopper. I don't believe the horrible video your Hopper is providing is normal so I'd definitely discuss a replacement with Dish.

I don't have the H3, I still have HWS, so I can't help with your problem. There have been several others that switched to the H3 that complained of picture quality.
Not sure how the solved the problem, or if they did

I have found the same in other forums. I can't believe how many people say how good it is, while others like me have nothing but problems.

I have found the same in other forums. I can't believe how many people say how good it is, while others like me have nothing but problems.

Unfortunately, that has already been done with the same results. I'm throwing in the towel. I think it's telling me it is time to cut the cord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)