Hopper 3 connect Joey with Ethernet only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

llars

Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Out There
Currently have a HWS and I currently have one of my Joeys connected via the ethernet (using a wireless bridge) at a location I can't get coax to. I am wondering if anyone is successfully using Joeys on an H3 system using Ethernet instead of Coax. I know it's unsupported I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this before I make the switch.

Currently have a HWS and I currently have one of my Joeys connected via the ethernet (using a wireless bridge) at a location I can't get coax to. I am wondering if anyone is successfully using Joeys on an H3 system using Ethernet instead of Coax. I know it's unsupported I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this before I make the switch.
Wouldn't a WJ fit the bill?

Reactions: thomasjk
It might but the Hopper is on a lower level on the opposite side of the place so I'm not sure if the signal would reach. My bridge links to the router on the same level and I have some high gain antennas on the media bridge in the living room to get them to link.

Can the WJ AP connect more than one WJ? Can a WJ be wall mounted?

It might but the Hopper is on a lower level on the opposite side of the place so I'm not sure if the signal would reach. My bridge links to the router on the same level and I have some high gain antennas on the media bridge in the living room to get them to link.

3 I think. Anything can be mounted to a wall. :)

Can a WJ be wall mounted?

Anything can be mounted to a wall

While true that you can mount anything if you try hard enough, wall-mounting a WJ will not be as graceful as the built-in mounting on the regular Joeys. There are no built in provisions for wall mounting, and the WJ is a bit of an oddball shape with the protruding curved outer edges and the base being wider than the top edge.

Dish-WirelessJoey.jpg
filestream.ashx

While true that you can mount anything if you try hard enough, wall-mounting a WJ will not be as graceful as the built-in mounting on the regular Joeys. There are no built in provisions for wall mounting, and the WJ is a bit of an oddball shape with the protruding curved outer edges and the base being wider than the top edge.

Dish-WirelessJoey.jpg
filestream.ashx
Looks like the designers said "mount this to a wall bitches".

Perhaps a shelf. :)

Reactions: DWS44

It will work- just make sure you have a good router. Typically we do not like the video to go through consumer router- since that is outside our control, but it will work.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Keep in mind you are moving a lot of band width onto your home network by doing this.

Reactions: Foxbat
It will work- just make sure you have a good router. Typically we do not like the video to go through consumer router- since that is outside our control, but it will work.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Thanks for the info Vivek. Will the Joeys take software updates over ethernet?

It will.
Just to be clear, we do not test that config, hence it is not officially supported, but it is just a network connection, so it will function same as wired Joey. Also use Ethernet port on hopper and not wireless to connect to your router

You could also locate the WJ AP closer to the Joey location you can't get a cable to. All you need is an ethernet cable from the Hopper to the AP.

Or you can use the Hopper Internet Connector to locate the WJAP closer to the Wireless Joey
Vivek, how come the HIC is not used to future proof a lot of the installs? I've used everything from 612 up through H3 and WJ, and had every type of connection, and the only consistency with broadband I have found is with the HIC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)