Hopper 3: First the good news; then the bad news.

DERG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I cheered when H3 got the latest update. The good news is Picture n Picture appears to work properly now. :clappingThe bad news, there's a new issue & I've gotta believe it's the H3 & not my TV.

Prior to the update, when I turn on the H3 there was never an issue with HDMI. Everything always worked as it should. Now when H3 & TV are turned on, most of the time but not always, the screen is black with no sound. Then the TV tells me there is no HDMI connection. At first I played with both the H3 & TV off/on & eventually it worked. Lately, the simple fix is to switch the TV input to a different HDMI, then switch back to where HDMI is connected to H3. :confused: This works everytime.

Anyone else having similar issue?

Reactions: Troch77
I use to have that issue on a Vizio, but when I changed out for a Sharp and a Sony, the issue went away.

I cheered when H3 got the latest update. The good news is Picture n Picture appears to work properly now. :clappingThe bad news, there's a new issue & I've gotta believe it's the H3 & not my TV.

Prior to the update, when I turn on the H3 there was never an issue with HDMI. Everything always worked as it should. Now when H3 & TV are turned on, most of the time but not always, the screen is black with no sound. Then the TV tells me there is no HDMI connection. At first I played with both the H3 & TV off/on & eventually it worked. Lately, the simple fix is to switch the TV input to a different HDMI, then switch back to where HDMI is connected to H3. :confused: This works everytime.

Anyone else having similar issue?
I would try a new hdmi cable and/or changing the input hdmi port.

Good suggestion, I'll try that. Currently I'm using the cable provided by H3.
That seems to have fixed the issue. Odd the Dish H3 cable suddenly went bad. Or perhaps there was an increase in bandwidth (?) via HDMI 2.2 & the cable couldn't handle the increase?

The H3 provided HDMI cable supports 4k just fine...

Then the one that came with my H3 has gone bad for reasons unknown. The cable I replaced the H3's cable with is also HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compliant & works perfectly whereas the H3 supplied cable was inconsistent.

That seems to have fixed the issue. Odd the Dish H3 cable suddenly went bad. Or perhaps there was an increase in bandwidth (?) via HDMI 2.2 & the cable couldn't handle the increase?
Sometimes it is just a poor quality cable. I've had USB cables stop working all of a sudden also. You replace it and move on. Some will tell you that there is no difference in cables but my eyes tell me differently. I replaced my HDMI cables with new ones and even the wife could see the change. She asked if I had adjusted the TV.

I use to have that issue on a Vizio, but when I changed out for a Sharp and a Sony, the issue went away.
I still have this every once in a while on the Vizio TV as well.
Its random and never mattered which software.

My Fix was also Just change inputs.
Works well.
Im sure its HDMI and Hopper hand shake issue.
Directv and my old Philips tvs used to have the same issues.
But they never did it with my Tivos or 722.

Same with my Current Vizio , When I had my Roamio, I've never had this issue.
Just the Hopper.
But its not uncommon to have different TVs and STBs with small HDMI issues like this.
Thats another reason I keep my HDMIs out of my Audio equipment.

Im sure its HDMI and Hopper hand shake issue.
But its not uncommon to have different TVs and STBs with small HDMI issues like this.
Thats another reason I keep my HDMIs out of my Audio equipment.

I've seen handshake issues before & agree with you. But, keep in mind that the replacement 3rd party cable with the same specs as the H3's HDMI cable works perfectly & the H3's failed. The H3's cable is either defective or slightly off spec causing a handshake issue. In either case, the issue did not begin until the Oct 21st update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts