Hopper 3 Guide question: truncated program description

snissen

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2006
southern MN
On the Hopper 3, when I press the DVR button, then press the Skip Forward button, I am on the Schedule tab, where I see a list of my upcoming (and past) scheduled timer. I use the up and down buttons (and Channel Up and Down for Page Up and Down) to select any program, and its details display on the right half of the screen. No problem thus far.

But sometimes the program description on the right side gets truncated, as in this upcoming episode of Madam Secretary, (typed here exactly the way it displays on my screen):
"Elizabeth gets shocking news about a political operative and learns President Dalton may be considering replacing her as Secretary of State; Stevie and Jareth g..."

On my old ViP622 receiver, I could press some button (Info?) to expand the description so I could see the rest of the text. But on the Hopper 3, I can't find any way to see the full description. No button I have pressed expands the description.

Why do I care? Because, at this time of the year, a program description may end in the phrases "Season Finale" or "Season Premiere", and I'd like to see those.

Does anyone know what button reveals the complete text of the program description? Or do I need to get at this information by another path?

On the Hopper 3, when I press the DVR button, then press the Skip Forward button, I am on the Schedule tab, where I see a list of my upcoming (and past) scheduled timer. I use the up and down buttons (and Channel Up and Down for Page Up and Down) to select any program, and its details display on the right half of the screen. No problem thus far.

But sometimes the program description on the right side gets truncated, as in this upcoming episode of Madam Secretary, (typed here exactly the way it displays on my screen):
"Elizabeth gets shocking news about a political operative and learns President Dalton may be considering replacing her as Secretary of State; Stevie and Jareth g..."

On my old ViP622 receiver, I could press some button (Info?) to expand the description so I could see the rest of the text. But on the Hopper 3, I can't find any way to see the full description. No button I have pressed expands the description.

Why do I care? Because, at this time of the year, a program description may end in the phrases "Season Finale" or "Season Premiere", and I'd like to see those.

Does anyone know what button reveals the complete text of the program description? Or do I need to get at this information by another path?
If there is away around this, I'd love to know..... if memory serves me (questionable at best) it seems like this has been a problem with all the Hoppers. If that isn't true, it's at the very least, been like this for quite some time. And It drives me crazy too!

Press the guide button and find the show there and then press info. That's the only way.

Press the guide button and find the show there and then press info. That's the only way.
I'm not sure about the Program Guide, but once a program is recorded, there is "truncated info" sometimes and there doesn't seem to be any way around that. Occasionally there will be a graphic program tile in the upper left corner that has a legible (complete) title, but the actual "listed" title is often chopped.
Actually, I just found a few lengthy titles in the Program Guide, and they have the same exact display using "info" as the recorded versions - still cut off.

I use the Channel + and Channel - on the info screen to see more of the program description.

I use the Channel + and Channel - on the info screen to see more of the program description.
I think I misunderstood the original concern - if the description of (for instance) a movie is particularly long, at the bottom of that description, it actually says "Press PAGE" with an up and down arrow. I've always used that to see the rest. My problem (and what I was thinking this thread was referring to) is with a very long program or movie title - they are cut off and I don't believe there is any way around this. Looking thru the Program Guide, I'm seeing a movie right now titled "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Fr....." If I select "info" I see the same exact thing. It seems like the only "go around" for this is that sometimes the graphic program tile in the upper left corner of "info" will have a cover picture with a legible complete title - but not always. On the DVR view "schedule" tab, the "page up and page down" do not appear in the description.

I think I misunderstood the original concern - if the description of (for instance) a movie is particularly long, at the bottom of that description, it actually says "Press PAGE" with an up and down arrow. I've always used that to see the rest. My problem (and what I was thinking this thread was referring to) is with a very long program or movie title ...

I know what you are referring to with the titles. Might be related to a limitation in the number of characters the interface can display for a title.

Actually what the original poster was referring to is in the schedule tab where pressing info will not work like it does when in a guide or watching a show. Description cut off:
Screen 1.jpg

Was hoping they could press the info button and have the detailed description, including the page up/down options another poster referenced:
Screen 2.jpg

I know what you are referring to with the titles. Might be related to a limitation in the number of characters the interface can display for a title.

Actually what the original poster was referring to is in the schedule tab where pressing info will not work like it does when in a guide or watching a show. Description cut off:
View attachment 116459

Was hoping they could press the info button and have the detailed description, including the page up/down options another poster referenced:
View attachment 116461
Yes - that was my very last point/sentence in my most recent post .. I missed it the first round, but eventually caught on. I never use the schedule that much myself, but the chopped titles are sometimes a bit frustrating. :(

Reactions: Tron2012

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)