Hopper 3 in Enclosed Cabinet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Will the remote work if the H3 is behind a cabinet door?
Yes, since the remote uses 2.4GHz (Zigbee) frequencies. Mine is in an equipment room in the basement, and the remote on the main level reaches it just fine. I couldn't see a recording light on my H3 even if it lit up like a Christmas tree! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I am having a new entertainment center built with a ventless propane fireplace in it. It gets cold up here in NW Arkansas compared to the Gulf coast area. I still need to check my Bluray player.

Would I be able to use the spare usb slot on the H3 for a fan for power? The section that the equipment will be in will be about 2' wide, 3' tall and 1.5' deep. I may be able to drill some vent holes in it.

Thanks guys - I am having a new entertainment center built with a ventless propane fireplace in it. It gets cold up here in NW Arkansas compared to the Gulf coast area. I still need to check my Bluray player.

Would I be able to use the spare usb slot on the H3 for a fan for power? The section that the equipment will be in will be about 2' wide, 3' tall and 1.5' deep. I may be able to drill some vent holes in it.
Yes. I have one, too.

Reactions: HipKat
You're getting a custom made furniture. If it is not late have your carpenter leave some ventilation space behind it. If your ent. center have no doors and your equipments are exposed there is nothing to worry about. With doors you are likely to keep them closed all the time. That could be an issue. You may consider small usb fans to eliminate excessive heat.

I had an interesting experience with my kitchen Joey 2. TV was under the corner cabinet. I drilled a hole underneath and kept (hid) the Joey in there. it was always warm (I could touch it without burning) even when I didn't use it. It was flat on the bottom shelf inside the cabinet. I decided to lay it sideways. That solved the problem. Now, it is never warm.

I would not plug your fan into a spare USB port on the Hopper. If you have a free 110V recepticle I would use a spare 5V phone power supply instead. If you’re like me, I have a bag of them from my old smartphones…

Hey Foxbat; I know some members are using Hopper's usb port for a fan. So, the fan starts spinning when you turn Hopper on.Is Hopper providing more than 5V? Is that a problem?
My surge protector has 3 usb ports. I connected my double fans (with one cord) to surge protector. The cord has on/off switch. I turn it on when I need it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Oh, it works, it’s just my strategy of not asking too much of the Hopper’s power supply, especially if you also have an OTA dongle and/or a Snap plugged in.

I plan on upgrading my UPS which will have USB ports. This will be inside my cabinet instead of outside. My setup will be the fireplace in the middle with a cabinet on each side. Depending on what the quotes look like I may just build it myself. The cabinet closest to the wall outlet will have all of the equipment in it. The other side will be for my wife to use. In the past cabinet I just opened the doors when using anything, but I had an old A/V receiver in it.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)