Hopper 3 low volume for satellite but good volume for YouTube App

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
Greetings everyone:

I have a question, is it normal that on the Hopper 3 that the volume for satellite channels are low but significantly louder when using the YouTube App? I am running software v548 and it seems under Audio Output, I have Dolby Audio = On, Volume Leveling = Off (tried on and it didn't make a difference) but I do not see the Range setting that was set to Wide which was either on earlier software versions or the original Hopper H1 I had before. Any fixes for this? Thanks!

The Youtube app is internet streaming while the the satellite channels are from the satellite. Apples and oranges. I see no way to fix it except to use your volume button.
There used to be a way as the Range setting is no longer there which would have fixed it if there was a wide setting. I would've thought the volume level output on HDMI was a limit that was applicable for all audio output on the H3.

There used to be a way as the Range setting is no longer there which would have fixed it if there was a wide setting. I would've thought the volume level output on HDMI was a limit that was applicable for all audio output on the H3.
Only for satellite delivered content, atleast by law.

I’m always adjusting my volume on my Joey between video channels and the music channels. I’ll listen to the 900-series channels at 20-24 on the TVs volume settings and end up in the mid-30s for watching TV.

It’s one reason I’m glad the Dish remote has no problems controlling my TV, I work the volume up and down buttons constantly. ;)

I’m always adjusting my volume on my Joey between video channels and the music channels. I’ll listen to the 900-series channels at 20-24 on the TVs volume settings and end up in the mid-30s for watching TV.

It’s one reason I’m glad the Dish remote has no problems controlling my TV, I work the volume up and down buttons constantly. ;)

That's interesting. The volume for the 900 series audio channels are exactly the same as the video channels for me. When Range setting was available, it seemed like some channels were louder than others but I have volume level as off but it seems to be all volume levels are the same.

I've been saying that for years. In the beginning my comparison was other gear connected to my AVR same as the STB. Even OTA was louder. Now with the addition of OnDemand, YouTube, Netflix and Prime Video, there's several other methods of comparison.

Grandma is always forgetting that she has to turn down the sound on the TVs in the Kitchen and Living Room, which both have at least 7.1 SS, when switching from an H3 to the widgets on the TV or a Firestick 4K in the Kitchen. It always blasts her out and I get yelled at.

Lately I've noticed over the past week that late night and background volumes on the TVs alone without the sound systems on in the Bedroom and my Office, identical TVs, where "10" was perfect, I've had to turn it up to "20" to get the same volume. Even right now it's at "31" and it's not all that loud. I have the window open and can hear the neighbors and they are not all that close. And no, the volume leveling is not on. That stopped working ages ago.

Just saw this further down: U727 HWS Update

Last edited:
Just switched to my AppleTV 4K and had to turn the TV down to "10" which matched the H3 at "20".

Lucky for you, on my LG 65EF9500 65" OLED TV with the tv's audio equalizer already set to max for treble and bass, it seems that for any satellite content or even OTA via the H3, I need to turn it up to "40" and it couldn't even reach the "15" for YouTube on the H3. I think they really just have to bring back the Range setting in Audio Output.

Software version U543 eliminated the Dynamic Range setting. Prior to that you had an option of wide or narrow under the audio settings. Setting it to narrow would make the voices louder without having to turn the volume up so high.

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_171804675.jpg
    IMG_20191219_171804675.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 184
Software version U543 eliminated the Dynamic Range setting. Prior to that you had an option of wide or narrow under the audio settings. Setting it to narrow would make the voices louder without having to turn the volume up so high.

Interesting, I thought it was Wide that would make the volume louder as mentioned in this thread:

What they really need to do is what I have been saying for years and match industry "Output Line Level" Standards.

Today I had go up to 35 on the TV to hear dialog. Sometimes I have to crank my AVR way up so that you can hear D3 power amps hiss. So not only is the volume low the feed is "dirty".

Sent from my SM-T380 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last night I was catching up on "The Masked Singer". After two episodes through the H3, the hissing, since I had to turn my AVR up so high to get even a decent volume, and bad picture was giving me a headache.

Then I remembered that I had the FOX NOW app on my ATV4K. So I switched over to that to watch the first 2 hour show. Not only did I have to turn the AVR from - 20.5dB to - 35dB (see as I've said 10-15dB off) to match the loudness I enjoy and was trying to get from the H3, BUT the picture was gorgeous! AND even after turning it up more, I realized that my headache was gone and I had taken off my glasses. Have to wear glasses when watching off the H3.

Sent from my SM-T380 using the SatelliteGuys app!

• Sad
Reactions: Almighty1